Lower back pops while doing invertes situps?!

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Ok this is starting to bother me. While doing inverted sit ups, I have a vertebrae popping on me. Its in my lower back, and as I come up to perform the situp it goes "crack" like I was popping my back.

Its irritating, but honestly the only part I care about is what does it mean? Health issue wise. it only happens during this action. And when I bend back really hard I can remember which one it is even normally. Been this way for a long time. Worries me. BTW no insurance so really....screwed ATM

This part may or may not matter~When I was a wee lil kid, I remember being bent backwards in a 90 degree angle. And I was unable to walk for 10 minutes after.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
Hyperextensions? Regardless, I would go to an orthopedist with an x-ray.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Hyperextensions? Regardless, I would go to an orthopedist with an x-ray.
When I get insurance(sometime between now and never?) I will definitely do that.

what about hyperetensions? When I do them with my back its fine, only while doing inverted situps does it do this. Its like the angle, and resure, and pull or something.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
Hmm.. That one is definitely above me. Very weird. Obviously, I wouldn't do them until I had it checked it out though.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Hmm.. That one is definitely above me. Very weird. Obviously, I wouldn't do them until I had it checked it out though.
I cant give up situps for a year o.o Guess I will just toss the inverted ones and go with ones on the ground, or using a ball, and doing hanging leg raises.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
I cant give up situps for a year o.o Guess I will just toss the inverted ones and go with ones on the ground, or using a ball, and doing hanging leg raises.

When you say "inverted" are you hanging upside down, or do you mean on a decline bench? If it is a decline bench, when you lower yourself, does your lower back arch, and then round over as you come back up to squeeze your abs? I like to keep back "rounded" somewhat, even when in the bottom position. It keeps tension on your abs, and removes stress and work from your back. If when you lower, you can't keep your back rounded and abs tight, you might reduce the steepness of incline. I see people doing them where they relax and hit the pad when they go down, and then jerk themmselves up. It looks like they do a wave on the way up.

I can't really think of anything other than that. My chiro says the pops are bubbles of air that get pushed out of the space. It's generally not a problem unless you have some sort of other pains or get a stinging or sharp pain when it happens. Just make sure you are using good form, and I think you will be ok.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
Do you have tingling that is in your buttocks or running down your legs? Generally, if it is a disk issue, then the pain would be in the butt or leg area, rarely is it centralized in your back?

Actually, does it hurt at all? It could be, as the guy mentioned above, air escaping, or, you could be genetically built that way? How long has this been going on? When you got bent backward, as a child, did you get it checked out then?

You should be able to go to the chiro as insurance generally does no good anyway. Work out a payment schedule with the Chiro and allow him to do a couple of sessions just to see where you are. If there is absolutely no pain then I doubt it is serious, yet, it's still not certain that it's not.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Well that is interesting. See my entire life when I do normal sit ups sometimes a warm tingle shoots down the inside of my right thigh....

I meant decline BTW on a decline bench. It doesnt pop on a flat one. Pain not really, though today it is bothering me and I have been trying to stretch my back. Not a pain bother but like a slight irritation. Then again I believe its psychosomatic because I have been thinking about it alot.

Like I said while doing a decline* sit up it pops on my way up, mostly to one side. Like a crack like if something is caught on a latch. No pain though.

It doesnt bother me during dead lifts I dont think, but I started em for the first time in a long time last week. And when I do lower back hyperextensions it doesnt pop or anything either.

Considering my money situation, a chiro really is a good year away :worried: and maybe then some.

But from what I remember it was also doing it last year when I was doing decline sit ups.

Now I am worried and frustrated :worried:

I was wanting to start MMA next year

Also what do you think about using the padded support stand for doing leg raises to do like three 5 minute hanging intervals per cardio day to let my back decompress kinda like an inversion table.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
Def get it checked out bro when you can. I remember years ago when i lost my insurance, and was still training, and doing boxing/kickboxing. I look back now and think, holy sh!t, thank goodness I didnt injure myself. Dont feel bad though,..... my wrists creak from 7 yrs of bastetball as a kid, knees pop from past injuries, and shoulders pop from boxing+ past rotary cuff issues. Dont ya just love weight training, lol.

dusk

dusk

Awards
i agree you should get it checked... But i think i know exactly what your talking about. I have the same problem only on decline situps. Its somewhere like lower back or in my hip almost. It sometimes becomes hard to tell which it is. I talked to my chiropractor about it awhile ago...But i completely forget what he said. Think he told me to stretch first esp my legs and see if that made a difference. I will probably see him again soon and ill try to ask him again then or if i remember ill post. the pops dont hurt me so i just say whatev and do them anyway

WhatsaRoid?

WhatsaRoid?

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
When I get insurance(sometime between now and never?) I will definitely do that.
what about hyperetensions? When I do them with my back its fine, only while doing inverted situps does it do this. Its like the angle, and resure, and pull or something.
LMFAO

I was wanting to start MMA next year
Don't do this without insurance

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Well not good. I did no sit ups tonight but its been popping all day. When I was leaning back to do DB bench it popped, even inclinde DB fly's and it popped. And it gave me a minty tingle in my middle back. I duno I am just scared crapeless I have something up with a disc or vertebrae. But no insurance, and already a bunch of unpaid doctor bills -.-

bustmetal

Awards
Could be a few things. If it popping it might just be ur facet joint. try this: lay flat on ur back and bend one knee and bring that knee across ur other thigh, pulling with ur hand while keeping ur other shoulder down. like a glute stretch. And then do the otherside. if ur lower back pops with no pain its probably ur facet joints. That would be ok I guess...maybe some slight degeneration.
A shooting pain down the inside of ur thigh is the L2-3 or L3-4 nerve root...possibly a disc or inflamed facet joint.

If you find that the stretch I mentioned pops ur facet joints do it before u workout and see if it gets better over time.

Get it checked out though

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Well not good. I did no sit ups tonight but its been popping all day. When I was leaning back to do DB bench it popped, even inclinde DB fly's and it popped. And it gave me a minty tingle in my middle back. I duno I am just scared crapeless I have something up with a disc or vertebrae. But no insurance, and already a bunch of unpaid doctor bills -.-
The popping and "minty tingle in my middle back" might not be serious, but could become so if you keep aggravating it. The tingle is something pinching or contacting a nerve in some way that it probably shouldn't. I'm def no doctor or anything but I would say if it just popped without the tingle, probably not much to worry about. not trying to scare you or anything, I would hate to see you just write it off and down the road it has turned into something major.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
well last night its been really good. A few hours ago I was sitting bent over at the computer(i been laying down, sitting straight cuz of my back but I got lazy) and felt an intense pain shoot through my stomach.

My back and front of my stomach hurt at once. This isolated it to a likely nerve involvement. As in a possible pinched or aggravated nerve. At the same time though now my back is popping even if I get up to walk, although that pop feels really good and refreshing. Pain free.

And the thing own my right inside thigh has been that way since I was a kid. Its not painful, like a tension feeling, it always felt like I had a long vein or something that wasnt long enough and would get stretched when I did a situp. It comes and goes.

At least I am not immobilized with pain like I was 20 hours ago. Was taking pain pills I have for it.

Getting ready to nap for a couple hours, then go job hunt some more. Turn in some apps, pray for a friggin job etc.

Been sleeping cross legged (indian style) because it raises my lower back and seems to nullify the pain, even when I wake up. Doing legs tonight regardless, gona be easy though. And I am not doing squats. Likely do the leg press, and calf raises using the leg press machine as well. So as not to apply top down pressure on my spine.

Looking into getting government insurance atm. Will see....after I apply I know its a good 2 months though before they get to me.

Like from sitting here for the last 15 minutes on the computer is bothering me a lil. Gona go rest.

Thanks for all the input. God willing its just a slight pinched nerve that will work it self out in a few days :worried: