How to Tighten Stomach?

tripwired

Awards
Any ideas on how to tighten my lower abs? I've lost a lot of body fat around my stomach under the skin and my upper abs are getting tight. But just under my navel it sticks out a lot like i'm bloated or something. Is this caused by fat under the muscle or just weak muscle not holding it back? If it's caused by having weak muscle is there any exercises to really work it? I've tried all sorts of lower abs workouts and nothing seems to really target that spot.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
are you sure its just not residual skin?

tripwired

Awards
not it's not skin, i have a little skin left over from losing the fat but this is like you know if you just let your stomach hang out like your trying to look like your pregnant or something well its like that but just in the lower half like theres no muscle holding back my bladder or whatever kinda hard to explain maybe i can take a pic later

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
if you really watch your diet and shed body fat you will lose it slowly but surely. diet must be key tho.

JKBB44

Awards
for building the bottom two abs, i lay on flat bench, keep my knees at a 90 degree angle and sorta roll my knees to my stomach, then back down till my torso and knees are parallel.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Any ideas on how to tighten my lower abs? I've lost a lot of body fat around my stomach under the skin and my upper abs are getting tight. But just under my navel it sticks out a lot like i'm bloated or something. Is this caused by fat under the muscle or just weak muscle not holding it back? If it's caused by having weak muscle is there any exercises to really work it? I've tried all sorts of lower abs workouts and nothing seems to really target that spot.
If you are lean and your lower belly "sticks out", this means that your posture is not good, or your abdominal wall is weak (you don't get fat UNDER the muscle; it's either in or above it). Doing exercises like planks, etc. that force you to hold your core in will help strengthen it. Also, focussing on keeping your core tight, and bringin your belly in towards your spine when walking, etc., will also help strengthen it.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
If you are lean and your lower belly "sticks out", this means that your posture is not good, or your abdominal wall is weak (you don't get fat UNDER the muscle; it's either in or above it). Doing exercises like planks, etc. that force you to hold your core in will help strengthen it. Also, focussing on keeping your core tight, and bringin your belly in towards your spine when walking, etc., will also help strengthen it.
i know it took 5 months last year to have my lower abs nice and with viens coming up.

Its hard work, took hours and hours of cardio. But I get a lil belly from lotsa carbs,(i gots it now) but the rest of me stays skinny.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i know it took 5 months last year to have my lower abs nice and with viens coming up.

Its hard work, took hours and hours of cardio. But I get a lil belly from lotsa carbs,(i gots it now) but the rest of me stays skinny.
Hmmm.

Depending on the individual would depend on what it was. Cardio isn't really needed if you're doing resistance training (although it may help burn some extra calories from overeating). As for the "belly" you get from carbohydrates; it could possibly be that you are carrying more fat and it has nothing to do with the former at all (although some carbohydrates can cause bloating and water retention, and this could be a ptential cause).

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Which complex carbs cause water retention?I don't eat any simple carbs PERIOD and I notice then even with same cardio level and intensity etc etc, I hold water after eating brown rice. I only have rice at lunch and it's only 1/3 cooked cup...my stomach protrudes...I have abs, but they almost "die" in a way when I consume carbs other than at breakfast oatmeal which is 1/2 cup uncooked...
Suggestions?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I agree with your statement regarding planks. Not enough people realize the benefits to bridge work and other isometric core holds. Not only do they strengthen the abdominal wall, but they work local core muscles as well that are often underdeveloped.

However, you do gain fat beneath the muscle. This is visceral body fat, fat that is held around the organs in the abdominal cavity. Its most appearent in the "beer belly" condition, especially in men, where the stomach is hard, but very large and bloated. This fat is the most pathological, and increases the risk of nearly every cardiovascular and metabolic disease.

To the original poster, when you contract your abdominals, do you still see protruding in the lower abdomen? If so, this may be a sign of visceral fat storage. Most people, however, have a slight angle of protrusion from the upper abdomen to lower when standing relaxed, this is due to the intestines and organs, especially if the you just ate a meal or if there material in the intestines.

Br

NADDANME

NADDANME

Awards
  • Established
I agree with your statement regarding planks. Not enough people realize the benefits to bridge work and other isometric core holds. Not only do they strengthen the abdominal wall, but they work local core muscles as well that are often underdeveloped.

However, you do gain fat beneath the muscle. This is visceral body fat, fat that is held around the organs in the abdominal cavity. Its most appearent in the "beer belly" condition, especially in men, where the stomach is hard, but very large and bloated. This fat is the most pathological, and increases the risk of nearly every cardiovascular and metabolic disease.

To the original poster, when you contract your abdominals, do you still see protruding in the lower abdomen? If so, this may be a sign of visceral fat storage. Most people, however, have a slight angle of protrusion from the upper abdomen to lower when standing relaxed, this is due to the intestines and organs, especially if the you just ate a meal or if there material in the intestines.

Br
:goodpost:

I would add that leg raises and scissor kicks are good for lower abs. I like to do Leg raises at the end of my abs work out. Make sure you get your lower back off the ground and you'll get a good burn in a hurry.

TMag

Awards
Tight Abs

I agree, proper nutrition is one of the most important things you can do to attain tight abs. Ab Ripper by P90X is an excellent system you might consider adding to your workout plan.

Machwon1

Awards
  • Established
Not trying to hijack.. But how do you get rid of visceral fat ? I think I have that and that's really all I have to lose... Might try alpha t2.... Or oep or somethig... And I'm just starting cardio for the first time since I was 170lbs

NADDANME

NADDANME

Awards
  • Established
Not trying to hijack.. But how do you get rid of visceral fat ? I think I have that and that's really all I have to lose... Might try alpha t2.... Or oep or somethig... And I'm just starting cardio for the first time since I was 170lbs
I'm no expert but i'm in the same situation as you. From the research i've done they say that the only way to get rid of visceral fat is cardio and good diet. You can lose surface fat with diet alone but viseral takes more cardio.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 34
Training Forum 1
Evomuse 5
JeremyNG25 Evomuse 21
Weight Loss 10