Smith machine deadlift ?

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.48%

Smith machine deadlift ?

I live in a quiet , little , redneck , mountain town and my options are unfortunately quite limited . The only gym in this county has but one squat rack and that is usually a long wait for which I usually dont have time and some people get bitchy when I pull their bar off the rack to deadlift . So I have just not been keeping deads in my routine . However the gym and the small workout room where I work both have quality Smith machines and I hate having the top heavy , chicken-leg syndrome , so would it be worth my time to do deads on SM or will I just wind up hurting myself ? Feedback appreciated fo sho .

2. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  117 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.52%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by sonofsteven View Post
    I live in a quiet , little , redneck , mountain town and my options are unfortunately quite limited . The only gym in this county has but one squat rack and that is usually a long wait for which I usually dont have time and some people get bitchy when I pull their bar off the rack to deadlift . So I have just not been keeping deads in my routine . However the gym and the small workout room where I work both have quality Smith machines and I hate having the top heavy , chicken-leg syndrome , so would it be worth my time to do deads on SM or will I just wind up hurting myself ? Feedback appreciated fo sho .
    Using a smith machine for deadlifts would mean that you weren't doing deadlifts, since they only allow movement up and down, and deadlifts are in more than one plane of motion.

You don't need a squat rack to do deadlifts; just take a BB and do them in another space.
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.65%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

I'd have to imagine it won't work out very well because, like Guejsn said, there is a restricted plane of movement. HOWEVER, that's only a problem if it hurts/feels odd when you do the smith deads. So, you can try it out, nice and light, and just see how it goes.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.48%

Quote Originally Posted by kwyckemynd00 View Post
    I'd have to imagine it won't work out very well because, like Guejsn said, there is a restricted plane of movement. HOWEVER, that's only a problem if it hurts/feels odd when you do the smith deads. So, you can try it out, nice and light, and just see how it goes.
    Thats what I was afraid of . Our gym is packed pretty tight with machines so the squat rack area is ideal . We've got thirty thousand people in this county , I would think we would have a least one more gym to choose from . Oh well , I'll try them on the SM , if they seem to work ANY muscle group very well then I'll name the exercise after myself and become famous ! Thanks fellas .
  5. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  117 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.52%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Thats what I was afraid of . Our gym is packed pretty tight with machines so the squat rack area is ideal . We've got thirty thousand people in this county , I would think we would have a least one more gym to choose from . Oh well , I'll try them on the SM , if they seem to work ANY muscle group very well then I'll name the exercise after myself and become famous ! Thanks fellas .
    If there is any floor space at all (maybe a stretching area or in front of the DBs), then use that instead. Otherwise do other compound exercises that target your back (i.e. pull-ups (different grip variations), BB bent over rows, etc.)

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.48%

Quote Originally Posted by Guejsn View Post
    If there is any floor space at all (maybe a stretching area or in front of the DBs), then use that instead. Otherwise do other compound exercises that target your back (i.e. pull-ups (different grip variations), BB bent over rows, etc.)
    It sucks the space is so limited , I will prob just go with some compounds . Trying out something like that when NObody else is using the technique is most likely just asking for injury . I might try A2G squats instead of just going parallel , see if that helps expidite my war on the bird-legs . Thanks much .
  7. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  223 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.83%

Just adding my two cents, I have no choice but to do deadlifts on the smith machine since I'm currently deployed. I have no problem doing them, however, once you get the weight up you have to take a step forward to get a good motion when you go down or else you may wind up injuring your back. I can't go real heavy on the smith machine, but I can still get some good deads in.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.66%

Maybe try glute ham raises.
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.62%

Quote Originally Posted by MrFirst View Post
    Just adding my two cents, I have no choice but to do deadlifts on the smith machine since I'm currently deployed. I have no problem doing them, however, once you get the weight up you have to take a step forward to get a good motion when you go down or else you may wind up injuring your back. I can't go real heavy on the smith machine, but I can still get some good deads in.
    I was wondering about that myself if sm was ok for doing deads,seems it would keep you more balanced but if you say you gotta take a step forward,i dont know how well it would work with heavier deads.
  10. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  117 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.52%

It sucks the space is so limited , I will prob just go with some compounds . Trying out something like that when NObody else is using the technique is most likely just asking for injury . I might try A2G squats instead of just going parallel , see if that helps expidite my war on the bird-legs . Thanks much .
    What you do should have nothing to do with what anyone else is doing. If you know what you're doing and your form is fine, then there is no need for risking injury.

And if you want to be building up your legs, then doing squats (front, back, etc.), lunges, leg press (high and low feet), calf raises, should do soemthing at building them up. However, remember that your DIET will determine whether or not you gain mass as well.

But do what you think is best for you; after all, it's your body.

11. yea!!!!!
    Stats
    6'3"  249 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.72%
    Achievements Posting Pro

In all honestly good ol' deadlifts or rack deads are the best.

But I wouldn't say smith machine deads are pointless. I tried them years ago, and once you get used to the "plane issue" they actual work the lower back good. I only tried them b/c at the time i was having lower back issues, and I read some where Troy Alves used this exercise to hit his back without getting the lower back pain/injury regular deadlifts gave him. I used them for a little while then after my back healed up, I dropped them for regular deads. If you do use it, the key is to let the lower back do all the work, and dont let your legs lift the weight.
  12. yea!!!!!
    Stats
    6'3"  249 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.72%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by jef2007 View Post
    I was wondering about that myself if sm was ok for doing deads,seems it would keep you more balanced but if you say you gotta take a step forward,i dont know how well it would work with heavier deads.
    I dont know,.. when I did them I kept my legs all the way forward(shins touching the bar) and went heavier than on reg. deads, with legs locked at a slightly bent angle. The good thing about it being on a vertical plane is you can do ultra-slow negatives for a crazy lower back pump.
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.59%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

umm take a barbell and use it infront of the smith machine there should be that much room. cuz there has to be that much room
  14. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.66%
    Achievements Posting Pro

For the legs, do front squats or lunges on SM. You can push pretty heavy, and not have the balance issue from free weight.
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.58%

Quote Originally Posted by youngandfree View Post
    For the legs, do front squats or lunges on SM. You can push pretty heavy, and not have the balance issue from free weight.
    Performing free weight squats with proper form will help alleviate the balance issues. You will develop the stablizing muscles needed for balance. BTW, I do not like the Smith Machine.
  16. Banned
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.93%

Quote Originally Posted by youngandfree View Post

NO do not recommend this to anyone. I messed up my knee really damn bad doing them on the SM and couldnt lift for about a year.

Although, I was doing lunges with 500+ pounds.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Smith machine bar
    By Pipes in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-29-2011, 06:23 PM
  2. Smith machine?
    By mcgee1516 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-28-2010, 09:30 PM
  3. Smith Machine
    By abnxtwo in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 14