yoga for mass

  1. yoga for mass


    Do you guys think yoga 1-2x a week would help me grow in the offseason or am i wasting my time


  2. Quote Originally Posted by NJbreed View Post
    Do you guys think yoga 1-2x a week would help me grow in the offseason or am i wasting my time
    Definitely NOT. Yoga is for STRETCHING. It will NOT help you gain mass.
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

    "Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee

  3. Quote Originally Posted by Guejsn View Post
    Definitely NOT. Yoga is for STRETCHING. It will NOT help you gain mass.
    would strench help the fasicca?
    •   
       


  4. Quote Originally Posted by NJbreed View Post
    would strench help the fasicca?
    Immensely.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  5. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Immensely.
    ^^^ Yes.
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

    "Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee

  6. Quote Originally Posted by NJbreed View Post
    Do you guys think yoga 1-2x a week would help me grow in the offseason or am i wasting my time
    Help you grow??? Is this a serious post?

  7. i know jay culter does them and ive read alot about how strecning really helps recover and etc....

  8. Quote Originally Posted by NJbreed View Post
    i know jay culter does them and ive read alot about how strecning really helps recover and etc....
    Ehh, your original post seems to imply you thought yoga could get you big.

    There is a school of thought that stretching the fascia allows the muscle more room to grow, and in fact I believe there is a lot of merit to this. In fact, Dante's extreme stretches are based exactly on this principle. But yoga and fascial stretching alone won't make your muscles grow.

    If, however, you are saying you want to include yoga/fascial stretching alongside your normal routine, then by all means it can only help.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by Dragon13 View Post
    Ehh, your original post seems to imply you thought yoga could get you big.

    There is a school of thought that stretching the fascia allows the muscle more room to grow, and in fact I believe there is a lot of merit to this. In fact, Dante's extreme stretches are based exactly on this principle. But yoga and fascial stretching alone won't make your muscles grow.

    If, however, you are saying you want to include yoga/fascial stretching alongside your normal routine, then by all means it can only help.
    yes. my plan was hit a yoga class after or before training. is pre or post better.? Can you talk more of Dante.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by NJbreed View Post
    yes. my plan was hit a yoga class after or before training. is pre or post better.? Can you talk more of Dante.
    You wouldn't want to do it before training, since your muscles won't be warm and you risk injury to the tendons, ligaments and muscles. The best time to stretch or do flexibility exercises is POST training, when your muscles are warm.
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

    "Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee

  11. I would suggest if you have the time to do it. Me and my girl are signing up for classes at our gym. I would think being more flexible is better in the long run rather weight lifting or anything else.
    Applied Nutriceuticals Representative
    www.appliednutriceuticals.com

    FACEBOOK FAN PAGE:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Applie...ls/64122223218

  12. Quote Originally Posted by NJbreed View Post
    yes. my plan was hit a yoga class after or before training. is pre or post better.? Can you talk more of Dante.
    Post.

    I get the impression that you're fairly new to the iron game. If so, don't worry about what I said re: Dante. Gettig into all that would be counter-productive for a newb.

  13. yoga is fantastic mate, i highly highly recommend it for any athlete or weight trainer.

    you will increase your flexibility in all areas, especially helpful for tricky things like your hip flexors. hello increased ROM. (standing, straight legs i can put my palms on the ground cold - not bad at 6'4"!)

    ashtanga (ashtanga vinyasa) is the form you want, also known as athletic yoga
    especially if you can find an instructor that has grounding in fitness training or physio (you guys call it kinesiology i think). my instructor gears our sessions for maximum athletic benefit and explains the poses and what they hit/help
    you WILL work up a decent sweat in an hour session!

    in terms of timing, you won't get as much out of a session of ashtanga if you are sore from a 'heavy' day in the gym. conversely weight training right after a yoga session kind of removes the awesome calm feeling and other benefits you get from the session.
    i do yoga in the early morning and weight train later in the day

    sorry bout the essay, hope that helps!

  14. Quote Originally Posted by NJbreed View Post
    would strench help the fasicca?

    Help me out here... WTF is a fasicca?

  15. "Fascia" is the connective tissue that holds your body together, and the P90X yoga workout is pretty badass. I'd think that could be a good place to start.

  16. Theres a reason many NFL players do "hot yoga" or Bikram.

  17. A longer muscle has the *potential* to become a bigger muscle.
    It also helps recovery and stretches the fascia.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Hot yoga
    By rab71 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-11-2009, 04:46 PM
  2. Yoga/Flexibility DVD
    By Rugger in forum General Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-17-2009, 11:49 PM
  3. Yoga
    By roryrock in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-29-2008, 06:02 PM
  4. Power Yoga: Who's tried it?
    By Beowulf in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-22-2008, 06:22 AM
  5. yoga?
    By hamper19 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-24-2003, 10:32 AM
Log in
Log in