yoga for mass

NJbreed

Awards
  • Established
Do you guys think yoga 1-2x a week would help me grow in the offseason or am i wasting my time

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do you guys think yoga 1-2x a week would help me grow in the offseason or am i wasting my time
Definitely NOT. Yoga is for STRETCHING. It will NOT help you gain mass.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

NJbreed

Awards
  • Established
i know jay culter does them and ive read alot about how strecning really helps recover and etc....

Dragon13

Dragon13

Awards
  • Established
i know jay culter does them and ive read alot about how strecning really helps recover and etc....
Ehh, your original post seems to imply you thought yoga could get you big.

There is a school of thought that stretching the fascia allows the muscle more room to grow, and in fact I believe there is a lot of merit to this. In fact, Dante's extreme stretches are based exactly on this principle. But yoga and fascial stretching alone won't make your muscles grow.

If, however, you are saying you want to include yoga/fascial stretching alongside your normal routine, then by all means it can only help.

NJbreed

Awards
  • Established
Ehh, your original post seems to imply you thought yoga could get you big.

There is a school of thought that stretching the fascia allows the muscle more room to grow, and in fact I believe there is a lot of merit to this. In fact, Dante's extreme stretches are based exactly on this principle. But yoga and fascial stretching alone won't make your muscles grow.

If, however, you are saying you want to include yoga/fascial stretching alongside your normal routine, then by all means it can only help.
yes. my plan was hit a yoga class after or before training. is pre or post better.? Can you talk more of Dante.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yes. my plan was hit a yoga class after or before training. is pre or post better.? Can you talk more of Dante.
You wouldn't want to do it before training, since your muscles won't be warm and you risk injury to the tendons, ligaments and muscles. The best time to stretch or do flexibility exercises is POST training, when your muscles are warm.

Dragon13

Dragon13

Awards
  • Established
Post.

I get the impression that you're fairly new to the iron game. If so, don't worry about what I said re: Dante. Gettig into all that would be counter-productive for a newb.

elshano

elshano

Awards
yoga is fantastic mate, i highly highly recommend it for any athlete or weight trainer.

you will increase your flexibility in all areas, especially helpful for tricky things like your hip flexors. hello increased ROM. (standing, straight legs i can put my palms on the ground cold - not bad at 6'4"!)

ashtanga (ashtanga vinyasa) is the form you want, also known as athletic yoga
especially if you can find an instructor that has grounding in fitness training or physio (you guys call it kinesiology i think). my instructor gears our sessions for maximum athletic benefit and explains the poses and what they hit/help
you WILL work up a decent sweat in an hour session!

in terms of timing, you won't get as much out of a session of ashtanga if you are sore from a 'heavy' day in the gym. conversely weight training right after a yoga session kind of removes the awesome calm feeling and other benefits you get from the session.
i do yoga in the early morning and weight train later in the day

sorry bout the essay, hope that helps!

j3ffbeck

Awards
"Fascia" is the connective tissue that holds your body together, and the P90X yoga workout is pretty badass. I'd think that could be a good place to start.

TexasTitan

TexasTitan

Awards
  • Established
Theres a reason many NFL players do "hot yoga" or Bikram.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
A longer muscle has the *potential* to become a bigger muscle.
It also helps recovery and stretches the fascia.