working out everyday

reppin808

reppin808

Awards
is it alright if i work out every day?
i basically do a seven day split with no rest days. i jus use the other days as rest days for the certain muscles.
heres my routine right now

Workout 1: Chest/Triceps
Workout 2: Back/Biceps
Workout 3: Shoulders/Traps
Workout 4: Legs
And repeat.

what do you guys think? im not overtraining am i?

Robbo

Awards
You probably need some real rest days!

You may not overtrain at first but your body needs recovery time. An overlooked part that needs recovery time is the Central Nervous System (CNS), overstimulating it causes problems.

reppin808

reppin808

Awards
i thought your body needed like 72 hours for it to recover and rest

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
is it alright if i work out every day?
i basically do a seven day split with no rest days. i jus use the other days as rest days for the certain muscles.
heres my routine right now

Workout 1: Chest/Triceps
Workout 2: Back/Biceps
Workout 3: Shoulders/Traps
Workout 4: Legs
And repeat.

what do you guys think? im not overtraining am i?
You definitely shouldn't be doing 7 days a week resistance training. It won't take you long before you ARE overtraining (if you're not already). Even elite athletes don't train EVERY day (and those that do certainly don't do weights every day)!!!

Your body NEEDS recovery; that's when your body adapts and makes changes. If you don't give yourself at least 1-2 days off, then you won't make much progress.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
i thought your body needed like 72 hours for it to recover and rest
It does, but while one muscle is recovering, you are working another. That still is stimulating your CNS. If you are training with enough intensity, your nervous system should be shot. Do you ever feel like you just have to veg out for a while after a hard workout? You feel like your nerves are fried, you can't focus, and just feel jittery? That's your CNS that's been worked.

Try lifting for two days, take a day off. Lift 2 days, day off. Moderate rest on day 7, maybe light cardio if you want or do something active outside. You can do cardio on lifting days after training for 20-30 min if you want. Your body needs complete rest at minimum 1 day week, preferably 2 or 3 if possible. Give that a try and see how you feel for a few weeks after your training. You will probably have more energy throughout the day and can focus better on job tasks or whatever else you do.

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
go out and enjoy yourself -you dont have to drink alcohol but a change of scene and people can leave you feeling refreshed and ready to attack the gym again

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
U NEED REST DAYS NO MATTER WHAT
Rest doesnt mean you have to lay horizontal for 24/48 hours
A rest day in my view is perceived as doing something different which doesnt tax the body

reppin808

reppin808

Awards
i agree corsaking
i'll change it up then.
thanks guys

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
i agree corsaking
i'll change it up then.
thanks guys
just a word of advise, on these "rest days", stay active, not overly active, but don't just sit around and eat all day either, light walks stuff like that, low impact anything

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
just a word of advise, on these "rest days", stay active, not overly active, but don't just sit around and eat all day either, light walks stuff like that, low impact anything
I would have to disagree.

You could do nothing at all (just depends on what you do every other day). Personally, I have just started scheduling a day off weekly into my training schedule, and I pretty much do NOTHING (in the past I would have done SOMEthing, but sometimes doing something doesn't meant hat you're giving your body the recovery it needs) at all that day (then again, the rest probably does my body some good).

It's also a good day to have your high calorie/cheat day as well, LOL (as long as you're training hard the rest of the week, then you can get away with it).

But, each to their own. You know your body better than anyone else; therefore you should be able to judge what is ok and what isn't for you to do re days off.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
I would have to disagree.

You could do nothing at all (just depends on what you do every other day). Personally, I have just started scheduling a day off weekly into my training schedule, and I pretty much do NOTHING (in the past I would have done SOMEthing, but sometimes doing something doesn't meant hat you're giving your body the recovery it needs) at all that day (then again, the rest probably does my body some good).

It's also a good day to have your high calorie/cheat day as well, LOL (as long as you're training hard the rest of the week, then you can get away with it).

But, each to their own. You know your body better than anyone else; therefore you should be able to judge what is ok and what isn't for you to do re days off.
good point. there are so many things that differ from one person to another. some things can be applied to all, but some, it's an individual situation. for example, some respond fairly to certain compounds and others, not so well. i like the fact that your open-minded about this though, some try and beat their opinion down the other persons throat.

Tone

Tone

Awards
  • Established
I usually have 3 off days a week and I love it - one of my off days I pretty much do NOTHING, and then the other 2 are just days where I don't workout.... but i definitely have a day where I just lay around and jack off all day, sometimes literally.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
good point. there are so many things that differ from one person to another. some things can be applied to all, but some, it's an individual situation. for example, some respond fairly to certain compounds and others, not so well. i like the fact that your open-minded about this though, some try and beat their opinion down the other persons throat.
In this industry and profession you HAVE to be open-minded, because everyone is individual and what works for one person is not necessarily going to work for another.

I prefer NOT to stick to convention and think outside the box, because that's when you see things happen (not that there's anything wrong with convention; it's just that many people who do this think that there is ONE way to do things and anything outside of it is wrong, which is NOT the case). Too many people look at me sideways when I mention how I train or my lifestyle, but hey, it's what works for me and I know my body (as should everyone else).