Am I over training?

killamac27

killamac27

Awards
Is doing Decline Bench 3 sets of 6, Incline bench 3 sets of 6, then bench press 3 sets of 6 overtraining and is it bad to do that?

Chops89

Chops89

Awards
  • Established
If that's all you're doing, then I'd say no. Each targets a different portion of the chest so you're fine. Doing a few exercises per muscle group is normal. And yes, overtraining is bad and will inhibit your results.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
not many people over train alot under recover.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
If that's all you're doing, then I'd say no. Each targets a different portion of the chest so you're fine. Doing a few exercises per muscle group is normal. And yes, overtraining is bad and will inhibit your results.
Although I really don't feel like debating this issue for the millionth time, you're still incorrect.

To the OP: No, you're not over-training by only doing that.

DenDestroys

Awards
I'm almost wanting to say that's undertraining, doing 3 sets per exercise for a muscle as large as the chest. The bare minimum I do is 6 sets for large muscle groups, per exercise. With reps looking something like this 14/12/10/8/6/6 - Oh, and I never had a sign of overtraining yet, while still going hard and heavy.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
It really depends on how much effort is involved doing your reps. If the 6th rep on every set is pushed to your limit, then I would say yes. If not then, no.
Anyone who says different really has not pushed themselves to their limit. I would also recommend focusing on getting adequate rest.
What are your goals? Strength,power,endurance,speed,size? Strength for instance I have always found that pushing myself to the max on less sets= more strength. For size, slightly more volume/less weight with sub-maximal force=more size. This is my own observation, listening to your own body is the best way to find out. Research over-training/under-resting and see if you have the symptoms.Make changes as needed.:wave2:

Matt6969

Awards
  • Established
if that is overtraining then i would be ****ed because i do about 25-30 sets per muscle group on average.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
if that is overtraining then i would be ****ed because i do about 25-30 sets per muscle group on average.
Well no offense, but you do weigh 168 pounds. There may be a reason...:wave2:

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
Well no offense, but you do weigh 168 pounds. There may be a reason...:wave2:
why do they have weight classes ? some ppl might wanna be big and not be a 300 pound ball of muscle walking around..

sean sherk that fights in the ufc pretty damn big for 155.

Percy harvin at FLA prettty big for 180

A Defensive back from Arkansas repped up 225 x 20 and ran a 4.31 a couple years back.

not calling u out but nothing is more annoying then guys who weigh in the 200 to 250 range and walk around like badasses.. id rather weigh 170-190 range and rep 225 for 10 then weight 205 and rep 225 for 15... its how u carry ur weight.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
Not trying to argue this statement, but can you explain the difference between the two? Thanks!
what i mean by this is overtraining would be something like this. (real example of what i use to do)

mon-chest
tues-shoulders.
wed-back
turs-bis and tris
fri-legs

thats over training. idc how much u eat and sleep.

Monday-legs/abs
Tuesday-Shoulders,bis and Tris (light)
Wednesday- Back
Thursday-OFF
Friday - Heavy Chest and Tris
Saturday- OFF
Sunday- Chest and legs LIGHT

im doing something like this now looks like alot of work but i try to do 1 to 2 sets of heavy for my body part. Legs today did heavy squats and hack squats. but after that was light weights 4 x 7. and i eat alot too my job is great i eat 3-4 times there its not hardwork im behind a computer. and i sleep at least 8 hours a night and eat extra food like pizza, salads. cereal,milk pasta. am i eating a little more then needed maybe some extra sodium carbs etc? yea but im also recovering alot faster. u just have to find a way to keep pushing ur body past its limits.. sometimes i need a extra day off a week i take it. but mostly try pushing ur body past its limits.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not overtraining.

UGHQTempus

UGHQTempus

Awards
  • Established
How often are you doing your chest days - once a week? twice? every day?

fritzer

fritzer

Awards
  • Established
i do ::

1 set bench,
1 set 25 degree incline
1 set incline DB
1 set Flys

and i feel like i am overtraining!! sore as hell all the time :) :)

it all depends on intensity

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

1 set bench,
1 set 25 degree incline
1 set incline DB
1 set Flys

Even with intensity up that would not make me sore at all. Nor do I think that doing 1 set of anything is helpful at all. You should look into upping your sets :) Make it realll sore lol.

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
why do they have weight classes ? some ppl might wanna be big and not be a 300 pound ball of muscle walking around..

sean sherk that fights in the ufc pretty damn big for 155.

Percy harvin at FLA prettty big for 180

A Defensive back from Arkansas repped up 225 x 20 and ran a 4.31 a couple years back.

not calling u out but nothing is more annoying then guys who weigh in the 200 to 250 range and walk around like badasses.. id rather weigh 170-190 range and rep 225 for 10 then weight 205 and rep 225 for 15... its how u carry ur weight.
Haha yeah i agree with you, but i think he's assuming everyone on this site is trying to get huge thats why they are here. but yeah i'd rather be an athletic big than a mass monster..

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established

1 set bench,
1 set 25 degree incline
1 set incline DB
1 set Flys

How long are you in the gym... if i did that intensely I think i would done in 5 minutes..

fritzer

fritzer

Awards
  • Established
Even with intensity up that would not make me sore at all. Nor do I think that doing 1 set of anything is helpful at all. You should look into upping your sets :) Make it realll sore lol.
dunno, i did it my way. started 2 sets of everything. but if after 1 set of squats that you did and actually put 100% effort in you should not be able to do another. sometimes i will do a second set this last week i did 2 sets squats and later 2 sets triceps extensions. But my way works fantastically!! 245lbs, 9%BF didnt come for free. put it this way after my 1 sets on legs last night i could barely walk to car, legs kept giving out. i watched dorians yates blood and guts 2 weeks ago and i was like YESSSSSS brother

How long are you in the gym... if i did that intensely I think i would done in 5 minutes..
3-4 hours a week. doubt you would be done, most people who come train with me sit down and give up during legs :684: yesterday my friend (5'10, 220, 8%BF) couldnt make it through chest and triceps, had to stop after chest.

intensity doesnt just mean a red face or working hard, it means giving it everything. on that one set of bench nothing, not even a little power is left to get another rep if your life depended on it. the key to muscle is overload, to overload the muscle week after week. to do this you dont need 5 sets, you dont need crazy variety exercises, all you need is weight and intensity :)

--> now whether i do 2 sets or 1 set per exercise regularly: i should say every now and then i go 3,2,2,2 on squats for a few weeks to really push the barriers in weight

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
different strokes for different folks lol.