Is this good for getting big?

TheDiesel85

TheDiesel85

Awards
Hey guys I'm just checking up on this work out a friend told my brother to do and he thinks its the best work out ever because she is a personal trainer, she works for the city, she works at a blood clinic, and and used to work with NFL players lol. So she dos everything. anyways i came out with a new workout routine to try and for reps its going to be 5x5's and that's new for us but he does not want to try it and says 5x5's suck, and that his trainer friend who made a NFL player gain 30 pounds of muscle all natural in 2 months from her work out and protein plan. anyways she is telling him to do 2x8's and about 5 different exercises per muscle group. so what do you guys think is this a real workout that a trainer would suggest or is she full of sh!t. i don't know if its good or not but it seem like this lady dos everything and has done everything so i don't know if its full of crap or not.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys I'm just checking up on this work out a friend told my brother to do and he thinks its the best work out ever because she is a personal trainer, she works for the city, she works at a blood clinic, and and used to work with NFL players lol. So she dos everything. anyways i came out with a new workout routine to try and for reps its going to be 5x5's and that's new for us but he does not want to try it and says 5x5's suck, and that his trainer friend who made a NFL player gain 30 pounds of muscle all natural in 2 months from her work out and protein plan. anyways she is telling him to do 2x8's and about 5 different exercises per muscle group. so what do you guys think is this a real workout that a trainer would suggest or is she full of sh!t. i don't know if its good or not but it seem like this lady dos everything and has done everything so i don't know if its full of crap or not.
First, I'll say if she was an NFL strength and conditioning coach then why is she a personal trainer now? Second, there is no way what-so-ever that you can gain 30 pounds in 2 months naturally ESPECIALLY NFL players whom are already conditioned. It doesn't matter much about how many exercises you choose. What matters is how much volume your workout consists of for muscular hypertrophy.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
First, I'll say if she was an NFL strength and conditioning coach then why is she a personal trainer now? Second, there is no way what-so-ever that you can gain 30 pounds in 2 months naturally ESPECIALLY NFL players whom are already conditioned. It doesn't matter much about how many exercises you choose. What matters is how much volume your workout consists of for muscular hypertrophy.
I believe they could gain 30 lbs if they were starting out....then again look at NFL players bellies LOL. 20 lbs is in the gut, the other 10 is muscle lol.

Actually I am doing a 30 lb in 60 day log, almost at the halfway point. And I am almost halfway...so some things are possible.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
I believe they could gain 30 lbs if they were starting out....then again look at NFL players bellies LOL. 20 lbs is in the gut, the other 10 is muscle lol.

Actually I am doing a 30 lb in 60 day log, almost at the halfway point. And I am almost halfway...so some things are possible.
Thing is, NFL players aren't starting out. 20 pounds of fat doesn't do them much good if they can't move it.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
defensive line man...he is not supposed to move lol
So, instead of sacking the quaterback or tackling a runner they should just sit there? No, they still move and to be the most efficient at it they should be concerned with muscle over fat mass.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
So, instead of sacking the quaterback or tackling a runner they should just sit there? No, they still move and to be the most efficient at it they should be concerned with muscle over fat mass.
Alot of shoulds and coulds out there mate. Look at some of their guts, hangs out over the belt and still heads down after overflowing....

smshannon001

smshannon001

Awards
  • Established
she says 5x5 sucks? i dono ANY trainer that says 5x5 sucks
maybe not for size gains but for strength it awesome

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
Alot of shoulds and coulds out there mate. Look at some of their guts, hangs out over the belt and still heads down after overflowing....
I realize that they're some like that, but that doesn't mean they are the most efficient.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
maybe they dont like to lift? maybe all they care about is getting threw there football workouts? and playing the game. sorry not everyone wants to be a bodybuilder...

go ask any qb u want a 250 pound 8% bf Offensive tackle.. or u want a 330 pound fat asss that might be 30% body fat...

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
maybe they dont like to lift? maybe all they care about is getting threw there football workouts? and playing the game. sorry not everyone wants to be a bodybuilder...

go ask any qb u want a 250 pound 8% bf Offensive tackle.. or u want a 330 pound fat asss that might be 30% body fat...
Are you a quaterback? I'm not, but if i were I'd want someone that is big and can move fast to protect me. I don't know, maybe that's just me huh?! :wave2:

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Are you a quaterback? I'm not, but if i were I'd want someone that is big and can move fast to protect me. I don't know, maybe that's just me huh?! :wave2:
I know alot of fat people who can move fast as hell. Being fat doesnt mean you arent strong/fast. properly used that extra mass gives more power to the muscle you have thanks to the laws of physics.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
I know alot of fat people who can move fast as hell. Being fat doesnt mean you arent strong/fast. properly used that extra mass gives more power to the muscle you have thanks to the laws of physics.
Ok, let's put it this way using his example between the two people (250lbs @ 8% vs 330lbs @ 30%). Mathematically calculated both have ~230lbs +/- 1lb of LBM. At 250lbs his moment of inertia will require less force generation to move at the same speed over the 330lb guy since their moment arms will be very similar. This is very beneficial to quickly change velocity (direction and speed) considering the 250lb guy will have less linear momentum (p=mv), but can generate more kinetic energy (Ek = mv^2).

Fat mass does not contribute to increased power output given the same person at those two weight percentages above mass will be higher at 330lbs--obviously. However, velocity at 250lbs will be greater and for kinetic energy velocity is an exponential function.

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
Ok, let's put it this way using his example between the two people (250lbs @ 8% vs 330lbs @ 30%). Mathematically calculated both have ~230lbs +/- 1lb of LBM. At 250lbs his moment of inertia will require less force generation to move at the same speed over the 330lb guy since their moment arms will be very similar. This is very beneficial to quickly change velocity (direction and speed) considering the 250lb guy will have less linear momentum (p=mv), but can generate more kinetic energy (Ek = mv^2).

Fat mass does not contribute to increased power output given the same person at those two weight percentages above mass will be higher at 330lbs--obviously. However, velocity at 250lbs will be greater and for kinetic energy velocity is an exponential function.

For a running back, absolutely... less fat results in higher velocity for the same amount of force exerted by the muscle (let's hold it constant). Therefore, the lower their fat, the better.

But for the defensive line or quarterback, how does it matter?
I'm not all that familiar with NFL but i'm thinking they only cover a very limited amount of ground. And considering their in the blocking position mass is mass regardless of muscle or fat.

My point being, if you're acting as a brick wall and an offensive player rams into you, the amount of force you exert on him is equal to your MASS(muscle and fat) x the change in his Velocity. So a 250 pound of muscle + 100 pounds of fat would be more beneficial than just 250 pounds of muscle.....

but that being said, i'm not all that familiar on how defense is played in the NFL. I just assumed the "brick wall" approach

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
30 pounds all natural in 60 days for an NFL player - very possible. for anyone in fact. 30 lean pounds, all natural is a 2 year process though.

all it takes is a massive caloric overload. i can get you there in 60 days - but i guarantee you, you will not be healthy, and you will not have the energy levels you have now.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
For a running back, absolutely... less fat results in higher velocity for the same amount of force exerted by the muscle (let's hold it constant). Therefore, the lower their fat, the better.

But for the defensive line or quarterback, how does it matter?
I'm not all that familiar with NFL but i'm thinking they only cover a very limited amount of ground. And considering their in the blocking position mass is mass regardless of muscle or fat.

My point being, if you're acting as a brick wall and an offensive player rams into you, the amount of force you exert on him is equal to your MASS(muscle and fat) x the change in his Velocity. So a 250 pound of muscle + 100 pounds of fat would be more beneficial than just 250 pounds of muscle.....

but that being said, i'm not all that familiar on how defense is played in the NFL. I just assumed the "brick wall" approach
My arguement is that they need to be able to quickly change direction and speed. Not to the extent of other positions, but they don't just sit and if they get passed up they're out of the play.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
30 pounds all natural in 60 days for an NFL player - very possible. for anyone in fact. 30 lean pounds, all natural is a 2 year process though.

all it takes is a massive caloric overload. i can get you there in 60 days - but i guarantee you, you will not be healthy, and you will not have the energy levels you have now.
When I refer to gaining weight, I consider LBM and not fat mass--anyone can gain fat mass.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
When I refer to gaining weight, I consider LBM and not fat mass--anyone can gain fat mass.
i don't think OP understands that however. 30 lean pounds is possible for one year, of a seriously nailed down diet, and a hardcore trainer, and living at the gym. not going to happen in 60 days, and most likely will happen in two years.

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
My arguement is that they need to be able to quickly change direction and speed. Not to the extent of other positions, but they don't just sit and if they get passed up they're out of the play.
I see. Like I was saying, i'm not so familiar with NFL. I didn't know how much each position moves around. With AFL (australian football), being lean is essential because it involves a sh*tload of spontaneous quick movement regardless of position. So fat mass is just gonna be a handicap.

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
i don't think OP understands that however. 30 lean pounds is possible for one year, of a seriously nailed down diet, and a hardcore trainer, and living at the gym. not going to happen in 60 days, and most likely will happen in two years.
yea I learnt that the hard way....

I tried to do a bulking program in the past (when I was already slightly obese) which promised to put 20 lbs of muscle mass in less than 10 weeks.
I did gain muscle but my bf level went up by an easy 7%...