Is this good for getting big?

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  194 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.6%

Is this good for getting big?

Hey guys I'm just checking up on this work out a friend told my brother to do and he thinks its the best work out ever because she is a personal trainer, she works for the city, she works at a blood clinic, and and used to work with NFL players lol. So she dos everything. anyways i came out with a new workout routine to try and for reps its going to be 5x5's and that's new for us but he does not want to try it and says 5x5's suck, and that his trainer friend who made a NFL player gain 30 pounds of muscle all natural in 2 months from her work out and protein plan. anyways she is telling him to do 2x8's and about 5 different exercises per muscle group. so what do you guys think is this a real workout that a trainer would suggest or is she full of sh!t. i don't know if its good or not but it seem like this lady dos everything and has done everything so i don't know if its full of crap or not.

2. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.86%

Quote Originally Posted by TheDiesel85 View Post
    Hey guys I'm just checking up on this work out a friend told my brother to do and he thinks its the best work out ever because she is a personal trainer, she works for the city, she works at a blood clinic, and and used to work with NFL players lol. So she dos everything. anyways i came out with a new workout routine to try and for reps its going to be 5x5's and that's new for us but he does not want to try it and says 5x5's suck, and that his trainer friend who made a NFL player gain 30 pounds of muscle all natural in 2 months from her work out and protein plan. anyways she is telling him to do 2x8's and about 5 different exercises per muscle group. so what do you guys think is this a real workout that a trainer would suggest or is she full of sh!t. i don't know if its good or not but it seem like this lady dos everything and has done everything so i don't know if its full of crap or not.
    First, I'll say if she was an NFL strength and conditioning coach then why is she a personal trainer now? Second, there is no way what-so-ever that you can gain 30 pounds in 2 months naturally ESPECIALLY NFL players whom are already conditioned. It doesn't matter much about how many exercises you choose. What matters is how much volume your workout consists of for muscular hypertrophy.
  3. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.24%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by russy_russ View Post
    First, I'll say if she was an NFL strength and conditioning coach then why is she a personal trainer now? Second, there is no way what-so-ever that you can gain 30 pounds in 2 months naturally ESPECIALLY NFL players whom are already conditioned. It doesn't matter much about how many exercises you choose. What matters is how much volume your workout consists of for muscular hypertrophy.
    I believe they could gain 30 lbs if they were starting out....then again look at NFL players bellies LOL. 20 lbs is in the gut, the other 10 is muscle lol.

Actually I am doing a 30 lb in 60 day log, almost at the halfway point. And I am almost halfway...so some things are possible.
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.86%

Quote Originally Posted by Zero V View Post
    I believe they could gain 30 lbs if they were starting out....then again look at NFL players bellies LOL. 20 lbs is in the gut, the other 10 is muscle lol.

Actually I am doing a 30 lb in 60 day log, almost at the halfway point. And I am almost halfway...so some things are possible.
    Thing is, NFL players aren't starting out. 20 pounds of fat doesn't do them much good if they can't move it.
  5. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.24%

Thing is, NFL players aren't starting out. 20 pounds of fat doesn't do them much good if they can't move it.
    defensive line man...he is not supposed to move lol
  6. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.86%

defensive line man...he is not supposed to move lol
    So, instead of sacking the quaterback or tackling a runner they should just sit there? No, they still move and to be the most efficient at it they should be concerned with muscle over fat mass.
  7. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.24%

So, instead of sacking the quaterback or tackling a runner they should just sit there? No, they still move and to be the most efficient at it they should be concerned with muscle over fat mass.
    Alot of shoulds and coulds out there mate. Look at some of their guts, hangs out over the belt and still heads down after overflowing....
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  224 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.02%
    Achievements Posting Pro

she says 5x5 sucks? i dono ANY trainer that says 5x5 sucks
    maybe not for size gains but for strength it awesome
    CURRENT 2014 Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/old-school-hormone/252748-cherry-poppin-test.html
  9. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.86%

Alot of shoulds and coulds out there mate. Look at some of their guts, hangs out over the belt and still heads down after overflowing....
    I realize that they're some like that, but that doesn't mean they are the most efficient.
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.63%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

maybe they dont like to lift? maybe all they care about is getting threw there football workouts? and playing the game. sorry not everyone wants to be a bodybuilder...

go ask any qb u want a 250 pound 8% bf Offensive tackle.. or u want a 330 pound fat asss that might be 30% body fat...
  11. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.86%

Quote Originally Posted by brownstown89 View Post
    maybe they dont like to lift? maybe all they care about is getting threw there football workouts? and playing the game. sorry not everyone wants to be a bodybuilder...

go ask any qb u want a 250 pound 8% bf Offensive tackle.. or u want a 330 pound fat asss that might be 30% body fat...
    Are you a quaterback? I'm not, but if i were I'd want someone that is big and can move fast to protect me. I don't know, maybe that's just me huh?!
  12. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.24%

Are you a quaterback? I'm not, but if i were I'd want someone that is big and can move fast to protect me. I don't know, maybe that's just me huh?!
    I know alot of fat people who can move fast as hell. Being fat doesnt mean you arent strong/fast. properly used that extra mass gives more power to the muscle you have thanks to the laws of physics.
  13. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.86%

I know alot of fat people who can move fast as hell. Being fat doesnt mean you arent strong/fast. properly used that extra mass gives more power to the muscle you have thanks to the laws of physics.
    Ok, let's put it this way using his example between the two people (250lbs @ 8% vs 330lbs @ 30%). Mathematically calculated both have ~230lbs +/- 1lb of LBM. At 250lbs his moment of inertia will require less force generation to move at the same speed over the 330lb guy since their moment arms will be very similar. This is very beneficial to quickly change velocity (direction and speed) considering the 250lb guy will have less linear momentum (p=mv), but can generate more kinetic energy (Ek = mv^2).

Fat mass does not contribute to increased power output given the same person at those two weight percentages above mass will be higher at 330lbs--obviously. However, velocity at 250lbs will be greater and for kinetic energy velocity is an exponential function.
  14. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.32%

Ok, let's put it this way using his example between the two people (250lbs @ 8% vs 330lbs @ 30%). Mathematically calculated both have ~230lbs +/- 1lb of LBM. At 250lbs his moment of inertia will require less force generation to move at the same speed over the 330lb guy since their moment arms will be very similar. This is very beneficial to quickly change velocity (direction and speed) considering the 250lb guy will have less linear momentum (p=mv), but can generate more kinetic energy (Ek = mv^2).

Fat mass does not contribute to increased power output given the same person at those two weight percentages above mass will be higher at 330lbs--obviously. However, velocity at 250lbs will be greater and for kinetic energy velocity is an exponential function.

For a running back, absolutely... less fat results in higher velocity for the same amount of force exerted by the muscle (let's hold it constant). Therefore, the lower their fat, the better.

But for the defensive line or quarterback, how does it matter?
    I'm not all that familiar with NFL but i'm thinking they only cover a very limited amount of ground. And considering their in the blocking position mass is mass regardless of muscle or fat.

My point being, if you're acting as a brick wall and an offensive player rams into you, the amount of force you exert on him is equal to your MASS(muscle and fat) x the change in his Velocity. So a 250 pound of muscle + 100 pounds of fat would be more beneficial than just 250 pounds of muscle.....

but that being said, i'm not all that familiar on how defense is played in the NFL. I just assumed the "brick wall" approach
  15. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.81%

30 pounds all natural in 60 days for an NFL player - very possible. for anyone in fact. 30 lean pounds, all natural is a 2 year process though.

all it takes is a massive caloric overload. i can get you there in 60 days - but i guarantee you, you will not be healthy, and you will not have the energy levels you have now.
  16. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.86%

Quote Originally Posted by BoyFromAus View Post
    For a running back, absolutely... less fat results in higher velocity for the same amount of force exerted by the muscle (let's hold it constant). Therefore, the lower their fat, the better.

But for the defensive line or quarterback, how does it matter?
    I'm not all that familiar with NFL but i'm thinking they only cover a very limited amount of ground. And considering their in the blocking position mass is mass regardless of muscle or fat.

My point being, if you're acting as a brick wall and an offensive player rams into you, the amount of force you exert on him is equal to your MASS(muscle and fat) x the change in his Velocity. So a 250 pound of muscle + 100 pounds of fat would be more beneficial than just 250 pounds of muscle.....

but that being said, i'm not all that familiar on how defense is played in the NFL. I just assumed the "brick wall" approach
    My arguement is that they need to be able to quickly change direction and speed. Not to the extent of other positions, but they don't just sit and if they get passed up they're out of the play.
  17. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.86%

Quote Originally Posted by suncloud View Post
    30 pounds all natural in 60 days for an NFL player - very possible. for anyone in fact. 30 lean pounds, all natural is a 2 year process though.

all it takes is a massive caloric overload. i can get you there in 60 days - but i guarantee you, you will not be healthy, and you will not have the energy levels you have now.
    When I refer to gaining weight, I consider LBM and not fat mass--anyone can gain fat mass.
  18. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.81%

When I refer to gaining weight, I consider LBM and not fat mass--anyone can gain fat mass.
    i don't think OP understands that however. 30 lean pounds is possible for one year, of a seriously nailed down diet, and a hardcore trainer, and living at the gym. not going to happen in 60 days, and most likely will happen in two years.
  19. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.32%

My arguement is that they need to be able to quickly change direction and speed. Not to the extent of other positions, but they don't just sit and if they get passed up they're out of the play.
    I see. Like I was saying, i'm not so familiar with NFL. I didn't know how much each position moves around. With AFL (australian football), being lean is essential because it involves a sh*tload of spontaneous quick movement regardless of position. So fat mass is just gonna be a handicap.
  20. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.32%

Quote Originally Posted by suncloud View Post
    i don't think OP understands that however. 30 lean pounds is possible for one year, of a seriously nailed down diet, and a hardcore trainer, and living at the gym. not going to happen in 60 days, and most likely will happen in two years.
    yea I learnt that the hard way....

I tried to do a bulking program in the past (when I was already slightly obese) which promised to put 20 lbs of muscle mass in less than 10 weeks.
    I did gain muscle but my bf level went up by an easy 7%...

Similar Forum Threads

1. whats good tren/ is finaflex 550xd good
    By jay21 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-18-2009, 12:10 AM
  2. I made these burgers last night...good or no good?
    By LeeRoi in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 06-05-2009, 07:40 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-09-2007, 06:30 PM
  4. Thyro-Cuts II..good or no good?
    By ZoMbSta in forum Supplements
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-06-2007, 11:52 PM