Need routine for better flexability and speed.

crpav

crpav

Awards
  • Established
Can I get some recommendations for a workout routine for this summer to improve my flexibility and speed? I play 2 nights of softball and lift the other days. Softball is on Tuesday and Thursday nights and I lift on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I also get some light cardio in on the mornings of softball.

My problem is trying to change my old routines to better suite myself for speed and sports. One problem is I have slowed down so much over the years. I know I can't combat getting older but I think if I train correctly I can improve on how I feel now. Biggest problem is my legs. Right now they are so sore especially my groin and hamstrings. I did stretch but I know I need to work on my stretching even more.

Anyway, I would like some advise on increasing speed and flexibility in my legs and hips. Also looking for what training to add for increased power for sports, mostly baseball and softball.

Jmaths

Jmaths

Awards
Incorporate power movements like power cleans, snatches, DB snatches, etc, with strength movements like squats and deadlifts.

As far as speed goes, work on plyometrics on single and both legs. Run up hills, sprints, jumps, etc.

And stretch more.

cord195148

cord195148

Awards
One of the limitations with traditional strength training is it is done in mainly the Sagittal and Transverse planes. Most sports also have a rotational aspect to them. If this is not trained as well, then functionality is lost, as well as the ability to recruit the motor units involved. While there many modern modalities to address this, if you want to learn application from someone with a bodybuilding background, check out Scott Abel's website.

Jmaths

Jmaths

Awards
One of the limitations with traditional strength training is it is done in mainly the Sagittal and Transverse planes. Most sports also have a rotational aspect to them. If this is not trained as well, then functionality is lost, as well as the ability to recruit the motor units involved. While there many modern modalities to address this, if you want to learn application from someone with a bodybuilding background, check out Scott Abel's website.
Good point.

What are you favorite exercises to address this issue?

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Incorporate power movements like power cleans, snatches, DB snatches, etc, with strength movements like squats and deadlifts.

As far as speed goes, work on plyometrics on single and both legs. Run up hills, sprints, jumps, etc.

And stretch more.
^^^ THIS.