decline ?

mapexman

Awards
ok quick stupid question. today i did decline never i have i done it before with free weights it not a part of my routine and i decline 50 lbs more than flat bench? is that odd? why is that my friend said it was weird aslo. i just am curious? :dunno:

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
the range of motion (ROM) is considerly less.....it's normal

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
i'm usually about 30 to 50lbs heavier myself........

mapexman

Awards
well thank you i was just curious thats all. my friend was not able to lift as much and he said it was odd but i guess every one is different thanks

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Pretty normal, just be carefull with form and adding weight. When I was just starting out, don't laugh, my goal was to be able to bench 135. Me and my buddy discovered what you did, you can lift more on decline, so we started doing them. We just jumped in, and after a while, my buddies shoulders started hurting and one day he went overboard, and shoulder popped, hurt rotator, know know the deal. If you press alot with your shoulders, instead on squeezing them back and just moving with your chest, your shoulders are somewhat vulnerable in that position. And if you throw on more weight then you can handle, you can tear something up before you know what happened.

And yes I can now bench the "big plates"

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
Pretty normal, just be carefull with form and adding weight. When I was just starting out, don't laugh, my goal was to be able to bench 135. Me and my buddy discovered what you did, you can lift more on decline, so we started doing them. We just jumped in, and after a while, my buddies shoulders started hurting and one day he went overboard, and shoulder popped, hurt rotator, know know the deal. If you press alot with your shoulders, instead on squeezing them back and just moving with your chest, your shoulders are somewhat vulnerable in that position. And if you throw on more weight then you can handle, you can tear something up before you know what happened.

And yes I can now bench the "big plates"
that's some good advise right there........keep a focus on where your shoulders are and how much their involved in the lift. pull those blades back