how often should one change their lifting routine....

1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'6"  245 lbs.

how often should one change their lifting routine....

I was just wondering how long one should workout on the same routine before switching...

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  183 lbs.

I like to switch it up once a month. Sometimes just do the exercises in a different order and sometimes I will switch the actual routine. I get bored fast
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  285 lbs.

When you stop making gains.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'6"  245 lbs.

ok.... i try and to mix my workout up bout every two weeks... still lifting the same area just different techniques... but i didnt know if that was a good way to go about it or not?
  5. Registered User

At least every 2 weeks to avoid a plateau with at least different volume / intensities
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SgtP View Post
    I like to switch it up once a month. Sometimes just do the exercises in a different order and sometimes I will switch the actual routine. I get bored fast
    you've got more patience than i. my workouts are never the same week to week. everytime i go to the gym its a new routine, keep my body guessing. when you know which exercises are appropriate for your body, say 8 different exercises for tri's, I'll keep switching them every time, 4 or 5 one week then the other 4 or 5 the next......etc. always switching. hard part is remembering all that crap......sometimes i forget pin #'s for bank cards or passwords for various internet sites......but never the exercises.
  7. The Female Terminator
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'1"  117 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by lift or die View Post
    I was just wondering how long one should workout on the same routine before switching...
    Generally every 4-6 weeks, to avoid plateaus.

However, you can change your sessions weekly, just by making a few differences to exercises, order of exercises, sets, reps, weight, even following the "same" programme. You'll still be getting change and progress.

It's really up to the individual how and when they make changes. But you don't need to give your training programme a complete overhaul. As long as you know what you're doing, then subtle changes along the way is the best way to go, IMO.
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.

I agree ^^. I have my staple compounds, and i will rotate exersises about every 4 weeks. I think if your in tune with your body and its progression, you will know.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'5"  100 lbs.

never do the same exact workout twice...weather it's the specific kinds of lifts you do or the number of reps you do
  10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Young Gotti View Post
    never do the same exact workout twice...weather it's the specific kinds of lifts you do or the number of reps you do
    Incorrect.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  285 lbs.

Why would you want to change things if you are still making good gains on whatever you are doing?
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Young Gotti View Post
    This isnt really true. If you have not reached peak gains with a certain set of movements, there is no need to change them. The idea of muscle confusion is real, but it is certainly not necessary to change things every workout.
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.

The only thing i really gauge is my main lifts for the day, and sometimes my supplemental lifts. When i can't progress anymore, i usually either continue on with a lower rep range or switch the exercise around. I use progressive overload on just about everything. It can be 5 weeks or 15 doing the same thing as long as all goes well.
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    6'6"  245 lbs.

ok... so i am still seeing growth than i shouldnt really change everything in my workout...
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  221 lbs.

whenever you stop making gains, but if you are still making gains there is no reason to switch up... if it ain't broke don't fix it... when I hit a stand still I will do different grips, switch from dumbell to barbell, less weight more reps.. something to change it up, but i never make any drastic changes my workouts are pretty much always the same.
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    6'6"  245 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    whenever you stop making gains, but if you are still making gains there is no reason to switch up... if it ain't broke don't fix it... when I hit a stand still I will do different grips, switch from dumbell to barbell, less weight more reps.. something to change it up, but i never make any drastic changes my workouts are pretty much always the same.
    alright man thanks....
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  171 lbs.

i completely agree with UGHQTempus. no need to change while you are still making gains.
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  250 lbs.

Change when you begin to hit a plateau. No need to force yourself to change routines after an arbitrary amount of time. Part of the fun of lifting is learning new methods of training and what your body responds to. It's very much a trial and error process.
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.

I change mine everyweek. For example, if I start my Back workout with Pull-downs... I miht start the next week with D-lifts.

I'll also change up close-grip/wide-grip for different exercises every other week.

I'm always open for new ideas, so far this has worked pretty well though!
  20. yea!!!!!
    Stats
    6'3"  249 lbs.

Every 3 months for me.... DC 3 day routine,.. then 3 months later change to a 5-day traditional routine. Works wonders for me.
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.

starting within the last 2 months i've changed my routine everytime i w/o. i never did this before, a buddy suggested it. ever since doing this my gains have steadly increased. i truely understand sticking with something til it stops working, and i was from the school of thought of sticking with a routine for a certain amount of time or until the gains ceased. now the mixing it up every w/o has my gains, size and endurance going up. i'm not saying it's for everybody, i'm not saying the other ways are wrong, but for me, switching it up all the time has me making progress. and i have to wonder if some of the people who suggest sticking with something for a while has even tried to mix it up every w/o or i their opinion is just based in what they know and not keeping an openmind to trying something new or thinking outside the box.
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.

^^^ i do the same thing. my assistance workouts always change to help where i need it most ex..if im failing at lockouts forcus on tricep strength. and if im failing at bottom focus on shoulder strength.. always change up bicep and tricep depending on the amount of volume and weights used on lifts b4 doing tri's and bis
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.

Like every one stated there are various ways. I personally like every 4 weeks, and when I change it up I do a break.

I had my buddy stop doing bench press for a few weeks, when he came back to it after I had him doing some other workouts he was up about 30lbs on his bench. ^.^
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    6'5"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by lift or die View Post
    When a plateau is reached, which, for me, is usually in the 6-8 week range.
    Even just a change in the time that one goes to the gym can be a change, when I go in the morning instead of my usual afternoons, I have a rougher time moving the same weight.
    Quote Originally Posted by madds87 View Post
    Im not to fond of taking serm's for long periods of time....
  25. The Female Terminator
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'1"  117 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by lennoxchi View Post
    starting within the last 2 months i've changed my routine everytime i w/o. i never did this before, a buddy suggested it. ever since doing this my gains have steadly increased. i truely understand sticking with something til it stops working, and i was from the school of thought of sticking with a routine for a certain amount of time or until the gains ceased. now the mixing it up every w/o has my gains, size and endurance going up. i'm not saying it's for everybody, i'm not saying the other ways are wrong, but for me, switching it up all the time has me making progress. and i have to wonder if some of the people who suggest sticking with something for a while has even tried to mix it up every w/o or i their opinion is just based in what they know and not keeping an openmind to trying something new or thinking outside the box.
    If you know what your goal is, and you know what to do re training (and nutrition) to achieve that goal, then you can do a DIFFERENT (and note that when I say "different" I don't mean a complete overhaul of everything) session every single training, and STILL get the results you want. Hell, even INcreasing weights (but staying with the same session re exercises (and order), sets, reps, and recovery time) is a CHANGE.
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. routine change..
    By jlm25 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-07-2011, 10:41 PM
  2. change of routine
    By mikaveli06 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-20-2010, 09:35 PM
  3. How often to change routine?
    By co1e train in forum Bulking