how often should one change their lifting routine....

lift or die

Awards
I was just wondering how long one should workout on the same routine before switching...

SgtP

SgtP

Awards
  • Established
I like to switch it up once a month. Sometimes just do the exercises in a different order and sometimes I will switch the actual routine. I get bored fast

lift or die

Awards
ok.... i try and to mix my workout up bout every two weeks... still lifting the same area just different techniques... but i didnt know if that was a good way to go about it or not?

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
At least every 2 weeks to avoid a plateau with at least different volume / intensities

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
I like to switch it up once a month. Sometimes just do the exercises in a different order and sometimes I will switch the actual routine. I get bored fast
you've got more patience than i. my workouts are never the same week to week. everytime i go to the gym its a new routine, keep my body guessing. when you know which exercises are appropriate for your body, say 8 different exercises for tri's, I'll keep switching them every time, 4 or 5 one week then the other 4 or 5 the next......etc. always switching. hard part is remembering all that crap......sometimes i forget pin #'s for bank cards or passwords for various internet sites......but never the exercises.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was just wondering how long one should workout on the same routine before switching...
Generally every 4-6 weeks, to avoid plateaus.

However, you can change your sessions weekly, just by making a few differences to exercises, order of exercises, sets, reps, weight, even following the "same" programme. You'll still be getting change and progress.

It's really up to the individual how and when they make changes. But you don't need to give your training programme a complete overhaul. As long as you know what you're doing, then subtle changes along the way is the best way to go, IMO.

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
I agree ^^. I have my staple compounds, and i will rotate exersises about every 4 weeks. I think if your in tune with your body and its progression, you will know.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
never do the same exact workout twice...weather it's the specific kinds of lifts you do or the number of reps you do

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
UGHQTempus

UGHQTempus

Awards
  • Established
Why would you want to change things if you are still making good gains on whatever you are doing?

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
never do the same exact workout twice...weather it's the specific kinds of lifts you do or the number of reps you do
This isnt really true. If you have not reached peak gains with a certain set of movements, there is no need to change them. The idea of muscle confusion is real, but it is certainly not necessary to change things every workout.

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
The only thing i really gauge is my main lifts for the day, and sometimes my supplemental lifts. When i can't progress anymore, i usually either continue on with a lower rep range or switch the exercise around. I use progressive overload on just about everything. It can be 5 weeks or 15 doing the same thing as long as all goes well.

lift or die

Awards
ok... so i am still seeing growth than i shouldnt really change everything in my workout...

Tone

Tone

Awards
  • Established
whenever you stop making gains, but if you are still making gains there is no reason to switch up... if it ain't broke don't fix it... when I hit a stand still I will do different grips, switch from dumbell to barbell, less weight more reps.. something to change it up, but i never make any drastic changes my workouts are pretty much always the same.

lift or die

Awards
whenever you stop making gains, but if you are still making gains there is no reason to switch up... if it ain't broke don't fix it... when I hit a stand still I will do different grips, switch from dumbell to barbell, less weight more reps.. something to change it up, but i never make any drastic changes my workouts are pretty much always the same.
alright man thanks....

Matt6969

Awards
  • Established
i completely agree with UGHQTempus. no need to change while you are still making gains.

Jmaths

Jmaths

Awards
Change when you begin to hit a plateau. No need to force yourself to change routines after an arbitrary amount of time. Part of the fun of lifting is learning new methods of training and what your body responds to. It's very much a trial and error process.

ptazz12

Awards
I change mine everyweek. For example, if I start my Back workout with Pull-downs... I miht start the next week with D-lifts.

I'll also change up close-grip/wide-grip for different exercises every other week.

I'm always open for new ideas, so far this has worked pretty well though!

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
Every 3 months for me.... DC 3 day routine,.. then 3 months later change to a 5-day traditional routine. Works wonders for me.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
starting within the last 2 months i've changed my routine everytime i w/o. i never did this before, a buddy suggested it. ever since doing this my gains have steadly increased. i truely understand sticking with something til it stops working, and i was from the school of thought of sticking with a routine for a certain amount of time or until the gains ceased. now the mixing it up every w/o has my gains, size and endurance going up. i'm not saying it's for everybody, i'm not saying the other ways are wrong, but for me, switching it up all the time has me making progress. and i have to wonder if some of the people who suggest sticking with something for a while has even tried to mix it up every w/o or i their opinion is just based in what they know and not keeping an openmind to trying something new or thinking outside the box.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
^^^ i do the same thing. my assistance workouts always change to help where i need it most ex..if im failing at lockouts forcus on tricep strength. and if im failing at bottom focus on shoulder strength.. always change up bicep and tricep depending on the amount of volume and weights used on lifts b4 doing tri's and bis

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Like every one stated there are various ways. I personally like every 4 weeks, and when I change it up I do a break.

I had my buddy stop doing bench press for a few weeks, when he came back to it after I had him doing some other workouts he was up about 30lbs on his bench. ^.^

timmmah

timmmah

Awards
  • Established
When a plateau is reached, which, for me, is usually in the 6-8 week range.
Even just a change in the time that one goes to the gym can be a change, when I go in the morning instead of my usual afternoons, I have a rougher time moving the same weight.
:1244:

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
starting within the last 2 months i've changed my routine everytime i w/o. i never did this before, a buddy suggested it. ever since doing this my gains have steadly increased. i truely understand sticking with something til it stops working, and i was from the school of thought of sticking with a routine for a certain amount of time or until the gains ceased. now the mixing it up every w/o has my gains, size and endurance going up. i'm not saying it's for everybody, i'm not saying the other ways are wrong, but for me, switching it up all the time has me making progress. and i have to wonder if some of the people who suggest sticking with something for a while has even tried to mix it up every w/o or i their opinion is just based in what they know and not keeping an openmind to trying something new or thinking outside the box.
If you know what your goal is, and you know what to do re training (and nutrition) to achieve that goal, then you can do a DIFFERENT (and note that when I say "different" I don't mean a complete overhaul of everything) session every single training, and STILL get the results you want. Hell, even INcreasing weights (but staying with the same session re exercises (and order), sets, reps, and recovery time) is a CHANGE.