Wife needs new workout....i'm at a loss

firedoghfd

Awards
All guy my wife needs a new work out.

current stats 5'6" 136lbs 23% fat.

Goals
Drop from 23% fat to 18%
Tone everything with a little of bit of adding mass also, not to much.

her diet is dialed in. she is willing to go to the gym 5-6 days a week.
She does not use those little silver/color weights. She likes dumbbells the best.

any questions just ask

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
What is her diet actually like? What is her workouts normally consist of? How long has she been working out? If she is "willing to go to the gym 5-6 days a week", how often does she currently go? These will help give some better advice.

firedoghfd

Awards
She goes 5-6 days a week.

She been back into the gym for about 7 months now. She was on a push, pull, leg, off setup and is now on a leg,chest,back,shoulders,arm with 2 days off tossed in.

she does cardio 4-5 times a week any from 20-40min. steady state or 1 min intervals.

she eats every 3-4 hours small snacks or a meal. no junk food or processed food. Chicken, tuna, porktenderloin, fish....etc. no carbs after 6-7ish at night. protein and carbs post workout.

what else do you need?

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
She goes 5-6 days a week.

She been back into the gym for about 7 months now. She was on a push, pull, leg, off setup and is now on a leg,chest,back,shoulders,arm with 2 days off tossed in.

she does cardio 4-5 times a week any from 20-40min. steady state or 1 min intervals.

she eats every 3-4 hours small snacks or a meal. no junk food or processed food. Chicken, tuna, porktenderloin, fish....etc. no carbs after 6-7ish at night. protein and carbs post workout.

what else do you need?
she's been on the same diet for a while now, hasn't she? cals and everything else?

firedoghfd

Awards
been basically on the diet for 5 months. the no carbs after 6ish is only about 3 weeks old.

total cals and such.......i'll have to get back to you. not sure of hand. i know about a month it was around 2000 cals, 30-40 fat, 260-300 carbs, 150-175 protein. she tweaked it a little over the last month. give or take 5%

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
been basically on the diet for 5 months. the no carbs after 6ish is only about 3 weeks old.

total cals and such.......i'll have to get back to you. not sure of hand. i know about a month it was around 2000 cals, 30-40 fat, 260-300 carbs, 150-175 protein. she tweaked it a little over the last month. give or take 5%
the reason i ask is cause your body, my body, everybody's body, gets used to the amount of food intake and weight loss will hault when it does, usually speaking. if she's been doing the same thing now for a while it's time to "shake" things up for a small amount of time. her BMR is probably stuck. which basiclly means her body is used to what comes in and so on. our bodies are smart, our body wants to do 1 thing, survive and function. once it gets used to a certain thing your done for......make sense?

firedoghfd

Awards
i follow....so what do you change,

also back to the work out. what a good split.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
All guy my wife needs a new work out.

current stats 5'6" 136lbs 23% fat.

Goals
Drop from 23% fat to 18%
Tone everything with a little of bit of adding mass also, not to much.

her diet is dialed in. she is willing to go to the gym 5-6 days a week.
She does not use those little silver/color weights. She likes dumbbells the best.

any questions just ask
1. "Dieting" (which is what she has essentially done) is not going to help her lose the fat faster, and may be doing more damage than good. Looks like she has been on "maintenance" calories for the last 5 months, which means that she won't be making progress either way. And having a cheat day every now and then will HELP her!

2. By following a nutrition plan targeted at fat loss, then she can lose that 5% BF easily enough in 10 weeks.

2. There is no such thing as "toning" (I really wish people would stop using that word): "Toning" is either a) losing fat, b) gaining muscle mass, or c) losing fat and gaining muscle simultaneously.

4. She wants to "recomp" (i.e. lose fat and gain muscle). That requires manipulation of diet as the KEY to success. I would suggest a calorie cycling plan: 3-4 days just below or at maintenance, and 1-2 days above maintenance.

5. She doesn't need to do 5-6 days in the gym, 4 days is adequate enough (anything more than that for too long and she will suffer). Just change the exercises, sets, reps, recovery periods up.

6. 4-5 days of cardio is a little much. Increase the intensity, shorten the sessions, and cut back to ~3 days a week.

I would suggest soemthing like this:

Monday - Legs
Tuesday - 20 min HIIT Cardio + Back
Wednesday - DAY OFF
Thurday - 20 min HIIT Cardio + Chest
Friday - Shoulders
Saturday 20 min HIIT Cardio
Sunday - Day OFF

If she's doing compound movements, then she doesn't need to have a separate day for Arms, since they will be getting done with Back and Chest.

Try getting her doing barbell work, as well as dumbbell work (many compound exercises can be done with dumbbells as well as barbells). Pick 3-4 exercises per session, concentrating on using multijoint, compound exercises, and getting her lifting as heavy as she can for 3-4 sets of 6-10 reps with ~1 min recovery between sets.

rascalcs02

Awards
Hi Guejsn,

Your suggested plan sounds great. I think I'm definitely ready for a change and would love to bring in more of my core during the workout too.

Do you or anyone else have some exercises they can suggest to fill out these days? Especially compound movements?

Monday - Legs
Tuesday - 20 min HIIT Cardio + Back
Wednesday - DAY OFF
Thurday - 20 min HIIT Cardio + Chest
Friday - Shoulders
Saturday 20 min HIIT Cardio
Sunday - Day OFF

Thanks!!
~ "the wife"

Heres the list of what I had been doing on my 5 day schedule:
(typically 3-4 sets of 10-15 reps each)

Legs (I typically pick 6 exercises out of this list)
Hack squat
Leg press
Calf raises
Extension
Flexion
Abduction
Adduction
Lounges with weight (30lbs)

Chest
Dumbbell press flat and incline
Dumbbell flys
Cable flys
Push-ups

Back
Lat pulldowns
Cable row
One-arm dumbbell row
Reverse fly
Back extensions

Shoulders
Dumbbell shoulder press
Dumbbell front and lateral raises
Barbell upright row
Seated rear delt row

Arms
Dumbbell curl
dumbbell tricep extension
Skull crusher
Cable curl
Cable pushdown while kneeling on ball

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
full squats (front or back), BB bench press, deadlifts (don't see many women doing these, don't know why either), bent over rows......now that i type this out, do you by chance have a lower back problem cause most of these exercises sometime aggrevate the lower back, and i noticed that these exercise are left out of your current routine. keep in mind these are compound moves and do not need to be done with heavy weight. you can also look into clean and jerks with low weight

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Suggestions for Programme

Hi Guejsn,

Your suggested plan sounds great. I think I'm definitely ready for a change and would love to bring in more of my core during the workout too.
You should definitely be working your core, and doiong compound exercises will ensure that.

Do you or anyone else have some exercises they can suggest to fill out these days? Especially compound movements?
See below.

Thanks!!
~ "the wife"

Heres the list of what I had been doing on my 5 day schedule:
(typically 3-4 sets of 10-15 reps each)
Doing 10-15 reps is more likely to build muscular endurance. I would suggest going for 6-10 reps, as heavy as you can, per set. I would also only do 4 exercises tops, with 3-4 sets for each.

Legs (I typically pick 6 exercises out of this list)
Hack squat
Leg press
Calf raises
Extension
Flexion
Abduction
Adduction
Lounges with weight (30lbs)

Chest
Dumbbell press flat and incline
Dumbbell flys
Cable flys
Push-ups

Back
Lat pulldowns
Cable row
One-arm dumbbell row
Reverse fly
Back extensions

Shoulders
Dumbbell shoulder press
Dumbbell front and lateral raises
Barbell upright row
Seated rear delt row

Arms
Dumbbell curl
dumbbell tricep extension
Skull crusher
Cable curl
Cable pushdown while kneeling on ball

Looking at your days, you have a lot of UNnecessary exercises (i.e. adduction/abduction with legs. if you do squats, then you can get these with changing stance).

My suggestions would be:

Legs
Barbell Front Squat (narrow stance)
Barbell Back Squat (wide stance)
Romanian Deadlifts
Calf Raises

Chest
Flat Barbell/Dumbbell Bench Press
Incline Barbell/Dumbbell Bench Press
Push-Ups
Dumbbell/Cable Flyes

Back
Barbell Deadlifts
Barbell Bent Over Rows*
Pull-Ups (you can do these assisted)*
Wide-Grip Lat Pulldown
Close-Grip Seated Cable Row
* Do either one of these.

Shoulders
Barbell/Dumbbell Clean and Press
Barbell/Dumbbell Shoulder Press (seated)
Dumbbell Lateral Raises
Dumbbell Rear Raises

[cU]Arms[/U] (Note that a separate Arms day is not really necessary, sicne you re working your arms a lot on Chest and Back days)
Dips
Close-Grip Barbell Bench Press
Barbell Bicep Curls
Incline Dumbbell Bicep Curls

Add in Abs exercises on Legs and Shoulders Days. Select 3 exercises and do 3x15 for each (i.e. ~100 reps total for Abs). Anything more than this is not necessary.

If you need any more ideas, look through my log for some: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/112832-female-terminator-chronicles-13.html

keeper

As an option, here's a really simple plan that I'm starting this week.

MONDAY:

Barbell BP sets of 12, 10, 8, 6
Incline DB bp 12, 10, 8, 6
Machine flys 20, 18, 16, 14
Smith mach. shoulder press 20, 18, 16, 14
DB lateral raisers 20, 18, 16, 14
Side cable raise 4 sets 20
Planks 4 sets 10

TUESDAY:
Squats 12, 10, 8, 6
Leg press 4 sets 10
Leg extensions 4 sets 15
Leg curls 4 sets 15
weighted situps 4 sets 25

WEDNESDAY: no weights

THURSDAY:
Lat pulldowns 4 sets 10
Close grip machine rows 4 sets 10
45 degree hypers
Good mornings 4 sets 10
Shrugs 4 sets 10
hanging leg raises 4 sets 25

FRIDAY:
Curls 4 sets 15
Preacher curls 4 sets 15
Hammer curls 4 sets 15
French curls 4 sets 15
Tricep cable pushdowns 4 sets 15
skull crushers 4 sets 15

HIIT 20 min. 3 days a week. I do misc. such as deadlifts and clean and press work on Sat's.