strenght gains without musclegain...lost gains?

houston1

Awards
Hello everybody!

I am comming back after a long period of sickness and have done quite
good progress in both muscle and strenght gains. I have regular contact
with a nutrion coach that checks my progress every month. Last time we discovered that my weight havent moved a thing for a month, despite of this
my strenght went up really well during this time. So i am a little worried that i sort of missed the muscle gains beacuse i just eat for maintainess?
The strenght gains that i already made maybe cant be used to build any muscles? I would be glad if you could answer me serious....

I am trying to go for lean gains, and the months before my i havent increased
my calorie intake so much, but gained some anyway. This time she put my on 200+ calories hope it will do the trick....

Over and out

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
Your strength gains without induced muscular hypertrophy are developed through neural control (i.e motor learning, motor unit recruitment, firing patterns).

If you are concerned about muscular hypertrophy then you should consider adjusting your volume/intensity patterns.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
ive lifted heavy powerlifting style for a while maybe done two months outta the last 12 at the most. but i still see size gains?

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
ive lifted heavy powerlifting style for a while maybe done two months outta the last 12 at the most. but i still see size gains?
Depends on your volume.

houston1

Awards
I dont know if you understand my question exactly.
I train with a bodybuilding routine, but often going thowards
the lower rep range aroud 6 reps but sometimes sets with more reps.
This works good for me when it comes to both strenght and musclegains.
But if the calorie intake isnt sufficient then you wouldnt gain any muscles
no matter how many sets or reps you do. This month we underestimated
my calorie need therefore= No muscle gains.

So can somebody answer if the strenght gains i made is lost, when it comes to musclegains? Say if you for exampel lift 200 pounds in a exercise and then
make it up to 220 without any musclegains. If you starting to eat better so you actually can gain muscle after this period, do you have any benifits of the strenght you developed. Is there extra good muscle gains to expect.
In my mind i have a hard time to see that you can get muscle in a retroactive
kind of way.

Give me your thoughts and i will be happy...

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
I dont know if you understand my question exactly.
I train with a bodybuilding routine, but often going thowards
the lower rep range aroud 6 reps but sometimes sets with more reps.
This works good for me when it comes to both strenght and musclegains.
But if the calorie intake isnt sufficient then you wouldnt gain any muscles
no matter how many sets or reps you do. This month we underestimated
my calorie need therefore= No muscle gains.

So can somebody answer if the strenght gains i made is lost, when it comes to musclegains? Say if you for exampel lift 200 pounds in a exercise and then
make it up to 220 without any musclegains. If you starting to eat better so you actually can gain muscle after this period, do you have any benifits of the strenght you developed. Is there extra good muscle gains to expect.
In my mind i have a hard time to see that you can get muscle in a retroactive
kind of way.

Give me your thoughts and i will be happy...
How exactly did your nutritionist measure your 'underestimated' caloric needs? Were you tested via direct or indirect spirometry--open or closed? If not, you would be very surprised as to how inaccurate estimation calculators are for rest and during exercise.

Also, can you supply your weight lifting routine. How long was this training period for? Two weeks?

houston1

Awards
My nuitritionst didnt do any estimation grounded on any test, i have regular
meetings every 4 weeks, and follow the progress. I have been able to increase my weight the most times. The time before this weigh in i gained
2 pounds in a month even do i just consumed 50 more calories per day compared to the weigh in 4 weeks before that. But this time, another +50 cal
dint do anything and the progress stopped. So now we try to put in another 200 calories per day and hope it will do the trick. Still, no one have given me any answer if the strenght gains i made are "lost" in terms of musclegains, now when the strenght gains already has taken place without any weightgain?

I train after a 3 day per week push/pull/legs system.

Training session 1
Back 11 set, Biceps 5 , traps 5, Rear shoulders 5,

2 session

Quads 10 set, hamstring 8 , calves 9, abs 4

3 session

Chest 11 set, shoulders 10, triceps 5, forearms 8

Most of the time heavy around 6 reps, somtimes i do sets with more reps and somtimes i might just hit 5 reps.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
My nuitritionst didnt do any estimation grounded on any test, i have regular
meetings every 4 weeks, and follow the progress. I have been able to increase my weight the most times. The time before this weigh in i gained
2 pounds in a month even do i just consumed 50 more calories per day compared to the weigh in 4 weeks before that. But this time, another +50 cal
dint do anything and the progress stopped. So now we try to put in another 200 calories per day and hope it will do the trick. Still, no one have given me any answer if the strenght gains i made are "lost" in terms of musclegains, now when the strenght gains already has taken place without any weightgain?

I train after a 3 day per week push/pull/legs system.

Training session 1
Back 11 set, Biceps 5 , traps 5, Rear shoulders 5,

2 session

Quads 10 set, hamstring 8 , calves 9, abs 4

3 session

Chest 11 set, shoulders 10, triceps 5, forearms 8

Most of the time heavy around 6 reps, somtimes i do sets with more reps and somtimes i might just hit 5 reps.
You should be getting some muscular hypertrophy with that routine, but not that much unless you increase the volume with those low reps. The gains you have main regardless of muscular hypertrophy are there, you will not retroactively gain muscle. I believe your routine to be the culprit if your objective is muscular hypertrophy. Although I do not know how many kcals you need for maintenance + exercise.

When you increased your kcals by 50 were you walking more than normal? Were you working out a little longer than normal? was your volume increased? There are many factors to as why and it's difficult to pin point them unless I knew more about the situation / testing results.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Also, to the specific question of "will your strength gains be lost when you eat more and gain more muscle," it really shouldn't. Alot of people incorporate 1 or 2 sets of heavy, low reps, with additional sets of higher reps. But generally by doing sets of 5-6, most of the time, you probably won't see that much hypertrophy. But yes, the strength gains will help you build muscle, because you should be able to do higher reps with a heavier weight than before. For example on DB curls, if you could use 30lbs to do a set of 10 before, but for a while now, you can do 45lbs for a set of 5-6, then you should be able to get 10 with 35 or maybe 40 if you are fresh and it's first set or two.

Have you been gradually increasing the weight for your exercises and sets week to week, or have you just used the same ol weight all the time? If you have been progressing in weight, then by adding some more higher rep sets with the increased calories and you should be fine.

Also, what is your goal right now? Do you have a target weight you are trying to reach for a specific athletic event, or just looking to gain muscle in general?

houston1

Awards
It´s good to hear your opinions, i moved very similar during this time and shouldnt have used up more calories. But my body probably came to a setpoint anyway.

It´s intresting to hear what you guys says about the training schedule and
i am always open to learn and do motifications to improve my training.
In this discussion i also would like to add some more thoughts from me and
if iam lucky someone my answer. I got the feeling that both russy_russ
and youngandfree are well knowledged in the art if strenght training..smile

I belive i have a lot of fast fibres in my body that respond best to lower reps.
It´s easier for me to put on more weight on the bar than do more reps.
Still sometimes i do more reps, but most time it´s around 6 reps.
I trained between age 17-24 and then i became sick (burned out) and couldnt train again until i was 28 and a half year, and i lost everything i build upand i meen everything. I became depressed and didnt eat, so i came back pretty much as an anorectic case. Now i have been training for 15 months
and my body have changed a lot. I dont train to perform in another sport,
i am dedicated and have high goals. My goal is to be as strong and big that i
can achieve natural. The reason that i dont train more often, is beacuse i very easily overtrain. Laugh, but i actually manage to be outworked on just my 3 days a week, and i have to take a extra day off sometimes.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
It´s good to hear your opinions, i moved very similar during this time and shouldnt have used up more calories. But my body probably came to a setpoint anyway.

It´s intresting to hear what you guys says about the training schedule and
i am always open to learn and do motifications to improve my training.
In this discussion i also would like to add some more thoughts from me and
if iam lucky someone my answer. I got the feeling that both russy_russ
and youngandfree are well knowledged in the art if strenght training..smile

I belive i have a lot of fast fibres in my body that respond best to lower reps.
It´s easier for me to put on more weight on the bar than do more reps.
Still sometimes i do more reps, but most time it´s around 6 reps.
I trained between age 17-24 and then i became sick (burned out) and couldnt train again until i was 28 and a half year, and i lost everything i build upand i meen everything. I became depressed and didnt eat, so i came back pretty much as an anorectic case. Now i have been training for 15 months
and my body have changed a lot. I dont train to perform in another sport,
i am dedicated and have high goals. My goal is to be as strong and big that i
can achieve natural. The reason that i dont train more often, is beacuse i very easily overtrain. Laugh, but i actually manage to be outworked on just my 3 days a week, and i have to take a extra day off sometimes.
I am the same way with fiber typing; however, to achieve more muscular hypertrophy volume must increase.