looking for a great stretch routine

TheDiesel85

TheDiesel85

Awards
hey guys im looking for a great stretch routine to do on my off day. i remember last time i bulked up it was limiting my movements and was getting injured allot, so this time i want to make sure i dedicate a hole day to just stretching. anyways you guys have any routines i can follow? is yoga something i should be looking into doing that day or is regular stretching what im looking for? thanks for the help guys.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
hey guys im looking for a great stretch routine to do on my off day. i remember last time i bulked up it was limiting my movements and was getting injured allot, so this time i want to make sure i dedicate a hole day to just stretching. anyways you guys have any routines i can follow? is yoga something i should be looking into doing that day or is regular stretching what im looking for? thanks for the help guys.
You could try yoga or pilates or a stretch class type thing.

Otherwise, just select a stretch for each body-part and do 2 reps each, holding the stretch for 20-30 seconds. For tighter/less flexible body-parts, do 1-2 exercises/more sets. Start from feet up, finishing with a neck stretch. Stretching sessions should only take ~20 minutes.

Your muscle should be warm before stretching; otherwise you risk damaging ligaments and tendons.

However, instead of devoting a whole day to stretching, why not do 5-10 minutes stretching after your resistance sessions (or that night after a hot shower) or the specific body-part that you worked. You would actually get a lot more benefit re flexibility and decreasing risk of injury out of that than stretching only once a week. Stretching daily is a good habit to get into.

TheDiesel85

TheDiesel85

Awards
yes i stretch the muscles i work out before i work them out i just also wanted a dedicated day of stretching to go along with that.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
yes i stretch the muscles i work out before i work them out i just also wanted a dedicated day of stretching to go along with that.
You're better off stretching AFTER your session (or between sets), since stretching cold muscles increases the risk of tendon/ligament damage. When your muscle are warm they have more elasticity.

Otherwise, an hour tops would be fine on any given day as a separate stretching session (a class would probably be good).

TheDiesel85

TheDiesel85

Awards
what do you mean by warm? so lift first? or lift really light weight then stretch?

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
what do you mean by warm? so lift first? or lift really light weight then stretch?
You don't want to stretch cold muscles. Wait until you've done a few sets, and then do it between sets, if you want; but I wouldn't recommend BEFORE training (unless you'd done cardio or a warm-up first). The best time to stretch is AFTER training, when you'll get the most benefit out of it.