bulking abs?

  1. Registered User
    redrocket399's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    394
    Answers
    0

    bulking abs?


    Hi everyone,

    i am a little confused about how to work my abs...
    Im currently working on bulking them up with deeper cuts..
    do i work on them like i do with any other muscle? ex. heavy weights with lower reps?
    or do i stick with a good weight and bust out till failure?

    so basically, wanting to bulk abs... low reps but heavy or high reps with weights?

    Thanks for the help everyone

  2. The Female Terminator
    Board Sponsor
    Rosie Chee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  121 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    30
    Posts
    16,174
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by redrocket399 View Post
    Hi everyone,

    i am a little confused about how to work my abs...
    Im currently working on bulking them up with deeper cuts..
    do i work on them like i do with any other muscle? ex. heavy weights with lower reps?
    or do i stick with a good weight and bust out till failure?

    so basically, wanting to bulk abs... low reps but heavy or high reps with weights?

    Thanks for the help everyone
    If you want "deeper cuts" you have to do WEIGHTED exercises.

    Yes, you train your abs like any other body-part. I personally do them twice a week for a total of ~100 reps (a mixture of exercises, sets, reps; but completing 100-120 reps) per time.
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

    "Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  3. Registered User
    redrocket399's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    394
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Guejsn View Post
    If you want "deeper cuts" you have to do WEIGHTED exercises.

    Yes, you train your abs like any other body-part. I personally do them twice a week for a total of ~100 reps (a mixture of exercises, sets, reps; but completing 100-120 reps) per time.

    great! thanks
    almost all my ab workouts consists of weights, i just wanted to clear up on the reps..

    Thanks Guejsn!
    •   
       

  4. The Female Terminator
    Board Sponsor
    Rosie Chee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  121 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    30
    Posts
    16,174
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by redrocket399 View Post
    great! thanks
    almost all my ab workouts consists of weights, i just wanted to clear up on the reps..

    Thanks Guejsn!
    No worries. Just remember that you DON'T need to do hundreds or thousands of reps for your abs, nor do you need to train them every day or every second day.
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

    "Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  5. Registered User
    GymRat7197's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    24
    Posts
    361
    Answers
    0


    Abdominal muscles aren't any different than the rest of your body, they're a muscle just like your chest, biceps, shoulders, legs.

    The significant difference is the amount of times they're worked per day and in everyday life. They're worked during the bigger fraction of compound movements, then during everyday life. So weighted ab movements are ideal.
  6. keeper
    Guest
    keeper's Avatar


    Okay, I'm WAY over-training my abs. I've been doing 4 sets of 50 on a decline bench with a 10 lb plate on my upper chest 5-6 days per week.
  7. Registered User
    GymRat7197's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    24
    Posts
    361
    Answers
    0


    Overtraining refers to the CNS. You're under nourishing your abdominals by not giving them a sufficient amount of rest. The rest isn't getting enough time to repair the muscle tissue. Overtraining muscle tissue would refer to ripping beyond repair, which is substantial injury. Overtraining refers to fatigue of the central nervous system and no one can tell you if you're overloading that but you; however, it's unlikely that you're overloading the CNS with ab work.
  8. keeper
    Guest
    keeper's Avatar


    Quote Originally Posted by GymRat7197 View Post
    Overtraining refers to the CNS. You're under nourishing your abdominals by not giving them a sufficient amount of rest. The rest isn't getting enough time to repair the muscle tissue. Overtraining muscle tissue would refer to ripping beyond repair, which is substantial injury. Overtraining refers to fatigue of the central nervous system and no one can tell you if you're overloading that but you; however, it's unlikely that you're overloading the CNS with ab work.
    Thanks for clarifying. As I said, I've lots to learn.
  9. The Female Terminator
    Board Sponsor
    Rosie Chee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  121 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    30
    Posts
    16,174
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by keeper View Post
    Okay, I'm WAY over-training my abs. I've been doing 4 sets of 50 on a decline bench with a 10 lb plate on my upper chest 5-6 days per week.
    Yeah, 1-2 days is ENOUGH. Try 4 x 25 TWICE a week. Also try and get a variety of exercises in (i.e. do 1-2 x 25 of weighted decline sit-up and 1-2 x 25 of hanging leg raises, etc.).
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

    "Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Bulking.
    By JonesyDaniel in forum Bulking
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-18-2011, 01:04 PM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-08-2009, 12:54 PM
  3. Need a bulking PH
    By ls1danny in forum Supplements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-13-2009, 10:01 PM
  4. steroid bulking vs regular bulking
    By bbkhan87 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-04-2008, 03:27 PM
  5. T3 while bulking....
    By Nullifidian in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-12-2005, 12:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in