newbie - pre & post workout meal

zzzxtreme

Awards
I'm just starting to go to gym, so my focus now is to lose fat.

I'm hoping to learn what to eat & drink after workout especially. Some recommend whey protein shake. I don't think I could handle the taste. What about a bowl of rice ? I can't sleep if i'm hungry

thanks for any advice :)

Sinon

Sinon

Awards
Protein, bcaas and slow digestng carb before workout. Try oats and whey. After you need protein and fast carbs. Whey/casein mix with some gummy bears, or maybe maxy maize starch if you can. Anything that makes your insulin spike.

UKStrength

Protein, bcaas and slow digestng carb before workout. Try oats and whey. After you need protein and fast carbs. Whey/casein mix with some gummy bears, or maybe maxy maize starch if you can. Anything that makes your insulin spike.
:goodpost: I agree, whey protein would be optimal but a whole food meal such as rice and chicken would be fine before training.

After training even just a large glass of milk followed by another protein and carbohydrate meal soon after would be ok.

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
The protein shakes taste better if you mix them with something other than water. Milk - even skim - makes the shake a little thick for my tastes but it is better than water. My preference is a little orange juice. Get some vitamins from the juice and a strawberry flavored powder makes a nice flavored shake.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
milk,frozen strawberries, whey, oats, EVOO (optional for extra cals) and reduced fat sugar free whip cream = amazing shake... just dont over do the whip cream..