neck injury...don't want to stop training

halflife3

halflife3

Awards
Hey guys,

I've had this neck pain (back of neck, right side) for years. A couple times -- including recently -- I've aggravated the pain to the point where I could barely turn my head. :dunno:

So while I'm recovering, I've stopped doing my normal workout routine. No barbell work -- shoulder press, squats, deadlifts...

I'm sure a lot of you have felt this, but I don't want to lose any gains or lose strength. What exercises can I safely do to maintain, or even build, upper body strength without straining my neck? All I can think of for now is holding myself in push-up position for 30-60 seconds, doing the "pilates plank", or squeezing my hand grip (which is too easy now).

Btw, I am doing lunges, squats with no weights, and calf raises to work my lower body. Also, holding myself in push-up position does feel good. I feel it working my core.

Thx for advice.

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
I think the stuff your doing is what you should keep doing. Think of it this way, if you wreck your neck for good. You can't do the same lifting anymore. Sometimes a break is required. I had to do it when i hurt my back.

Good luck man

lift or die

Awards
Hey guys,

I've had this neck pain (back of neck, right side) for years. A couple times -- including recently -- I've aggravated the pain to the point where I could barely turn my head. :dunno:

So while I'm recovering, I've stopped doing my normal workout routine. No barbell work -- shoulder press, squats, deadlifts...

I'm sure a lot of you have felt this, but I don't want to lose any gains or lose strength. What exercises can I safely do to maintain, or even build, upper body strength without straining my neck? All I can think of for now is holding myself in push-up position for 30-60 seconds, doing the "pilates plank", or squeezing my hand grip (which is too easy now).

Btw, I am doing lunges, squats with no weights, and calf raises to work my lower body. Also, holding myself in push-up position does feel good. I feel it working my core.

Thx for advice.
hey man i know exactly what you are talking about.. I been lifting weights since i was in 8th grade. I played football all through out high school and i got a scholarship to play in college. But last season I injured my neck, herniated a disk, torn ligaments, bruised my spine cord and no i still have neck problems. After i couldn't play i had to do something and i didn't want to quit working out. I just made sure i concentrated on my lifts in using other muscles instead of my neck. Make sure you are not putting pressure on your neck. I don't squat anymore because of the strain on my neck but I still use different leg workouts. Leg sled, lunges, calf raises, and etc... So keep on keepin on' just be smart about your lifts....

Connman

Connman

Awards
I just tried that pushup hold reading your post and did it for 60 secs, I like it, thanks!