Deadlift and Power clean

  1. Deadlift and Power clean


    well first off i wanna say that i did my first (or so id like to think) effective workout where i did deadlifts. ive done them before but with improper form and have tweaked my back, but i read on here and also watched videos on proper technique that i was missing. but my question i guess would be first do you think deadlifts are good for someone thats not a body builder or a someone thats in super good shape? i also like to do power cleans on my back days and i always do them first in my workout, do you think that i should keep them or change it up within my workout?


  2. Deadlifts are good for everyone who lifts weights period. If you are not lookign to get bigger or stronger than stop the deadlifts and hook a right into the aerobics room when you walk in the gym.

    In all seriousness, if all i wanted to do was lift to stay in shape, i would only do squats, deads, inclines, standing militaries, pullups, curls and a tri exercise. this would be the quickest way to stay in shape.

  3. Quote Originally Posted by cav19delite View Post
    well first off i wanna say that i did my first (or so id like to think) effective workout where i did deadlifts. ive done them before but with improper form and have tweaked my back, but i read on here and also watched videos on proper technique that i was missing. but my question i guess would be first do you think deadlifts are good for someone thats not a body builder or a someone thats in super good shape? i also like to do power cleans on my back days and i always do them first in my workout, do you think that i should keep them or change it up within my workout?
    Deadlifts are a workout that should be the bread and butter of a routine. Not only do they significantly increase testosterone levels in the body but they're not one of those workouts that you would put on "back day" or "leg day", deadlifts are a full body workout. They work more muscles than any other exercise, therefore it wouldn't make sense to have a workout minus the deadlift.

    Power cleans are primarily a posterior chain movement. Not really enough weight is used (unless you're super good at it) to overload the back, it's more of a posterior chain exercise.
    •   
       


  4. Quote Originally Posted by jcp2 View Post
    Deadlifts are good for everyone who lifts weights period. If you are not lookign to get bigger or stronger than stop the deadlifts and hook a right into the aerobics room when you walk in the gym.

    In all seriousness, if all i wanted to do was lift to stay in shape, i would only do squats, deads, inclines, standing militaries, pullups, curls and a tri exercise. this would be the quickest way to stay in shape.
    Fella I've seen two posts that you've made and both of them I've agreed completely. Especially in this situation, horizonal pushes and pulls, vertical pushes and pulls, squats and deadlifts with slight accessory for the optional isolation of synergists and stabilizers are all you need to gain hypertrophy.

  5. Would it be too much deadlifting, doing SLDL on my leg day (monday) 3x10 and then regular heavy ones on backday (friday) 3x6. I workout 3 times a week. Thanks.

  6. Quote Originally Posted by n87 View Post
    Would it be too much deadlifting, doing SLDL on my leg day (monday) 3x10 and then regular heavy ones on backday (friday) 3x6. I workout 3 times a week. Thanks.
    That would be fine.

  7. as u get better at deads you have to work them less ive noticed that from a PL way of lifting..

    last year i had little training knowledge besides bench and i saw dorian yates back workout and it was 2 x 10 at deadlift at the end of the workout.. id load up the 300 pounds i had and rep to failure 2 sets... now no way i can do that but i can max a hell of alot more.. the better u get the less u have to do to pull heavy.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by brownstown89 View Post
    as u get better at deads you have to work them less ive noticed that from a PL way of lifting.
    Powerlifters tend to neglect deadlifting frequently because it's harsh effect on the CNS as the external load increases by mass productions.

    A 600 lb deadlift is extremely taxing on the centeral nervous system, which is why powerlifters begin to use accessory movements to help maintain phenominal strength in the posterior chain and quadriceps, squats in particular are utilized frequently to maintain the base of strength in the particular range of motion.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by GymRat7197 View Post
    Powerlifters tend to neglect deadlifting frequently because it's harsh effect on the CNS as the external load increases by mass productions.

    A 600 lb deadlift is extremely taxing on the centeral nervous system, which is why powerlifters begin to use accessory movements to help maintain phenominal strength in the posterior chain and quadriceps, squats in particular are utilized frequently to maintain the base of strength in the particular range of motion.

    This is true, take it from a powerlifter himself. As your strength shoots up it is very taxing on the CNS on due sets and reps with alot of weight say 400 lbs up that is why we train efficiently and also implement other training techniques we then begin to analyze things that can help us max out and at competition we begin to look at things like how is our lock out, our explosion off the floor and etc. However the point of powerlifter is to train at a maximum load but a load where it is still efficient to increase strength and recover soundly.
  10. UKStrength
    UKStrength's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by n87 View Post
    Would it be too much deadlifting, doing SLDL on my leg day (monday) 3x10 and then regular heavy ones on backday (friday) 3x6. I workout 3 times a week. Thanks.
    That's what I do (except the rep range and sets are different) and have no problems recovering. Your lower back will thank you in the long run

  11. DL's are exceptionally taxing, however I still do them once a week (Thursdays as a matter of fact) however, in an effort to make sure to lessen the "taxing" nature, one must vary the weight significantly as well as the rep range. For example, last week I went heavy (for me), so this week it will be different, 60-70% of my typical 1rm and that is as high as I will go
    TEAM GET DIESEL

    GET DIESEL NUTRITION | SINCE 2002 | GETDIESEL.COM
    Like us on Facebook: GET DIESEL Facebook Page
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. How clean r clean bulks?
    By JayRock in forum Bulking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-06-2011, 10:11 AM
  2. deadlift and bb clean ?
    By gabe9615 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-03-2009, 01:24 PM
  3. Tips for Power clean?
    By p00ndawg in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-07-2009, 11:51 AM
  4. How clean is clean on a bulking cycle?
    By drguitar78 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-01-2007, 03:53 PM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-25-2007, 09:54 AM
Log in
Log in