Deadlift and Power clean

cav19delite

Awards
well first off i wanna say that i did my first (or so id like to think) effective workout where i did deadlifts. ive done them before but with improper form and have tweaked my back, but i read on here and also watched videos on proper technique that i was missing. but my question i guess would be first do you think deadlifts are good for someone thats not a body builder or a someone thats in super good shape? i also like to do power cleans on my back days and i always do them first in my workout, do you think that i should keep them or change it up within my workout?

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
Deadlifts are good for everyone who lifts weights period. If you are not lookign to get bigger or stronger than stop the deadlifts and hook a right into the aerobics room when you walk in the gym.

In all seriousness, if all i wanted to do was lift to stay in shape, i would only do squats, deads, inclines, standing militaries, pullups, curls and a tri exercise. this would be the quickest way to stay in shape.

GymRat7197

GymRat7197

Awards
  • Established
well first off i wanna say that i did my first (or so id like to think) effective workout where i did deadlifts. ive done them before but with improper form and have tweaked my back, but i read on here and also watched videos on proper technique that i was missing. but my question i guess would be first do you think deadlifts are good for someone thats not a body builder or a someone thats in super good shape? i also like to do power cleans on my back days and i always do them first in my workout, do you think that i should keep them or change it up within my workout?
Deadlifts are a workout that should be the bread and butter of a routine. Not only do they significantly increase testosterone levels in the body but they're not one of those workouts that you would put on "back day" or "leg day", deadlifts are a full body workout. They work more muscles than any other exercise, therefore it wouldn't make sense to have a workout minus the deadlift.

Power cleans are primarily a posterior chain movement. Not really enough weight is used (unless you're super good at it) to overload the back, it's more of a posterior chain exercise.

GymRat7197

GymRat7197

Awards
  • Established
Deadlifts are good for everyone who lifts weights period. If you are not lookign to get bigger or stronger than stop the deadlifts and hook a right into the aerobics room when you walk in the gym.

In all seriousness, if all i wanted to do was lift to stay in shape, i would only do squats, deads, inclines, standing militaries, pullups, curls and a tri exercise. this would be the quickest way to stay in shape.
Fella I've seen two posts that you've made and both of them I've agreed completely. Especially in this situation, horizonal pushes and pulls, vertical pushes and pulls, squats and deadlifts with slight accessory for the optional isolation of synergists and stabilizers are all you need to gain hypertrophy.

n87

Awards
  • Established
Would it be too much deadlifting, doing SLDL on my leg day (monday) 3x10 and then regular heavy ones on backday (friday) 3x6. I workout 3 times a week. Thanks.

GymRat7197

GymRat7197

Awards
  • Established
Would it be too much deadlifting, doing SLDL on my leg day (monday) 3x10 and then regular heavy ones on backday (friday) 3x6. I workout 3 times a week. Thanks.
That would be fine.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
as u get better at deads you have to work them less ive noticed that from a PL way of lifting..

last year i had little training knowledge besides bench and i saw dorian yates back workout and it was 2 x 10 at deadlift at the end of the workout.. id load up the 300 pounds i had and rep to failure 2 sets... now no way i can do that but i can max a hell of alot more.. the better u get the less u have to do to pull heavy.

GymRat7197

GymRat7197

Awards
  • Established
as u get better at deads you have to work them less ive noticed that from a PL way of lifting.
Powerlifters tend to neglect deadlifting frequently because it's harsh effect on the CNS as the external load increases by mass productions.

A 600 lb deadlift is extremely taxing on the centeral nervous system, which is why powerlifters begin to use accessory movements to help maintain phenominal strength in the posterior chain and quadriceps, squats in particular are utilized frequently to maintain the base of strength in the particular range of motion.

Sk8erboy

Banned
Awards
Powerlifters tend to neglect deadlifting frequently because it's harsh effect on the CNS as the external load increases by mass productions.

A 600 lb deadlift is extremely taxing on the centeral nervous system, which is why powerlifters begin to use accessory movements to help maintain phenominal strength in the posterior chain and quadriceps, squats in particular are utilized frequently to maintain the base of strength in the particular range of motion.

This is true, take it from a powerlifter himself. As your strength shoots up it is very taxing on the CNS on due sets and reps with alot of weight say 400 lbs up that is why we train efficiently and also implement other training techniques we then begin to analyze things that can help us max out and at competition we begin to look at things like how is our lock out, our explosion off the floor and etc. However the point of powerlifter is to train at a maximum load but a load where it is still efficient to increase strength and recover soundly.

UKStrength

That's what I do (except the rep range and sets are different) and have no problems recovering. Your lower back will thank you in the long run :)

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
DL's are exceptionally taxing, however I still do them once a week (Thursdays as a matter of fact) however, in an effort to make sure to lessen the "taxing" nature, one must vary the weight significantly as well as the rep range. For example, last week I went heavy (for me), so this week it will be different, 60-70% of my typical 1rm and that is as high as I will go