A Practical Ab Workout

Jim Nasium

Awards
So I've been researching like a monster to find the most practical ab workout out there. Man, it aint easy. I mean, who likes doing crunches and leg raises? I certainly don't. So my mission is to find an ab workout that I might possibly enjoy doing. Can anybody relate?

Anyway I was talking to a PT and he suggested 'Football Drills', and 'Boxing Drills'. So it made me think to myself, "Self..would sprinting be an effective, yet practical ab workout?"

So I'm posing the same question to all you people out there in Forum Land. Are sprinting drills an effective way to shred up one's midsection?

Cordeen

Awards
  • Established
P90X Ab Ripper, 16mins of your time and it is killer!!

MrBigPR

MrBigPR

NutraPlanet Rep
Awards
  • Established
I've got some killer core workouts in my log, check the sig.

Jim Nasium

Awards
I've got some killer core workouts in my log, check the sig.
Thanks for the responses..btw Mista Big PR are these workouts something I can do easily in the gym? Are they practical?

MrBigPR

MrBigPR

NutraPlanet Rep
Awards
  • Established
Very practical. All you need is a medicine ball, decline bench, pullup bar and cables.

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
Supermans? Bicycle Kicks.. Russian Twists. Incline / Decline

Pushups, Scorpion Pushups, There are plenty of creative weighs to kill your core without any extra equipment. I'm sure anyone from the Military can back me up on that one.

I prefer Bicycle kicks and Twists but i know some creative superman's to kill thy body.

Jim Nasium

Awards
Very practical. All you need is a medicine ball, decline bench, pullup bar and cables.
Ok cool thanks man, you know I'm the type of person who likes to have a plan. This is especially true when I go in the gym to work out. But a lot of people I speak to like to go in the gym and train by instinct and create their workout as they go along. How important do you think it is to design one's workout routine, and when is it ok to use instinctive training?

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
Ok cool thanks man, you know I'm the type of person who likes to have a plan. This is especially true when I go in the gym to work out. But a lot of people I speak to like to go in the gym and train by instinct and create their workout as they go along. How important do you think it is to design one's workout routine, and when is it ok to use instinctive training?
Its very good to go by your gut and trust your instincts on this. But to an extent. Good form and lifting properly is more important than instincts. I go with my gut when it comes to my limits, but if i start a new workout or exercise im always online looking for the proper way to do it and variations. Once you get comfortable with it you can alter it and make it your own.
Hope that helps. Stay Moto

Jim Nasium

Awards
Supermans? Bicycle Kicks.. Russian Twists. Incline / Decline

Pushups, Scorpion Pushups, There are plenty of creative weighs to kill your core without any extra equipment. I'm sure anyone from the Military can back me up on that one.

I prefer Bicycle kicks and Twists but i know some creative superman's to kill thy body.
Haha ok sounds good..a lot of great responses in this thread and I know it's a sore subject (literally) because who wants to talk about core training?

Tomorrow I will do some football drills with a trainer in the park..I'll let you all know how that goes. Thanks again!

Jim Nasium

Awards
Its very good to go by your gut and trust your instincts on this. But to an extent. Good form and lifting properly is more important than instincts. I go with my gut when it comes to my limits, but if i start a new workout or exercise im always online looking for the proper way to do it and variations. Once you get comfortable with it you can alter it and make it your own.
Hope that helps. Stay Moto
Well my issue is not really with variations and form, but more with knowing which particular exercises are going to give me the desired results. A lot of people say to switch your routine up to 'confuse' your muscles every two weeks or so. My question is should I follow a plan, or just go with what I know?

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
Follow a plan in the sense that you have an Arm day a back day chest day whatever, each week. But vary the actual arm workouts, so one day you do isolated curls, next day its hammer curls or reverse curls. (etc, Reverse curls are forearms but i'm sure you get the point).

Thats what i do, and its worked for me. The basic thing is to never get complacent in your work outs, as in your comfortable with the weight and lifts your doing. Two weeks to change is a great amount.