bad knee

doyoudo911

Awards
well a couple years ago, I use to take break-dance classes. Unfortunatly, a month or two into it, my knee started hurting, so I got a knee brace (which helped for a bit). Then after a week or two it started hurting again, so I just figure I had bad knees.

Now that I am taking bodybuilding seriously I worry about injuring my knee and then getting surgery on it :dunno::worried:

When I started working out my legs (recently) I did not do squats, afraid of my knee getting worse. So I went to the 45* leg press. However my knee is hurting again (im guessing from work, standing for 8ish hours with most of the time my knees locked)

I am wearing the brace at work now, and I will probably where it again when I g2 the gym. Is the 45* press ok for me to continue? or should I change it? Also, should I stop deadlift?

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
hrm. without being a doctor and seeing the injury, there's not much i can safely say.

always wear a knee brace if you're concerned about injuries. if your knees still hurt, lower the weight. with regards to deads, it shouldn't be an issue, though if you try walking out with that weight, you can aggravate the situation.

one of my knees tried buckling when i walked out on deads, so just food for thought. if the deads aggravate your knees still (even when not walking out), switch over to rack deads.

doyoudo911

Awards
ight thanx. in ur opinion....do you think the 45* press is ok?

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
ight thanx. in ur opinion....do you think the 45* press is ok?
so long as you can't feel something inside your knee saying "WTF are you doing to me", you're OK. i would wear knee wraps just for the sake of being wrong really sucks - my G/F needs total reconstructive knee surgery for making a mistake playing softball. your knees are very expensive and painful to replace. be safe, listen to your body, and you'll do fine.

dropshot001

Awards
i'd definitely say to get some knee wraps and to use them on your heavy working sets. no need for them on the warm up sets. should help to reduce knee pain. also, maybe consider dropping leg extensions as i find those are really hard on the knees and instead do more compound movements for quads

doyoudo911

Awards
i'd definitely say to get some knee wraps and to use them on your heavy working sets. no need for them on the warm up sets. should help to reduce knee pain. also, maybe consider dropping leg extensions as i find those are really hard on the knees and instead do more compound movements for quads
yea I used my knee brace and it helped a bit. I also noticed with leg extensions that it IS hard on the knees, so I agree. I will probably cut out leg ex. for a couple weeks, or until my knee feels better. :)

striad

Awards
To be safe, you may want to go to a doc to find out exactly what is the problem. If you have some type of ligament damage, strength training will do it some good as long as you can tolerate it. If you have some type of cartilage damage, you could just wind up doing more damage.