German Volume Training Superset?

  1. German Volume Training Superset?


    Hey all i have been reading up on it and i am a little confused....my routine
    looks like this:

    CHESt + BACK

    Flat Bench 10x10
    Barbell Row 10x10
    Incline Flys 3x10
    Chins 3x10

    LEGS + ABS

    Squat 10x10
    SLDL 10x10
    WEighted crunches 3x10
    Calves 3x10

    SHOULDERS + ARMS

    Overhead Press 10x10
    Dips 10x10
    Hammer Curls 3x10
    Reverse Flys 3x10

    OK QUESTIONS NOW:
    Lets say its chest and back day..am I supposed to superset Bench/Row??? or just superset flys/chins??? idk what the fork is going on...i thought it was just:

    BENCH: 10 sets 10 reps 90 sec rest btwn
    then move on to rows
    BARBELL ROW: 10 sets 10 reps 90 sec rest

    then superset the supplementary work.

    If it's supersetting 10x10 then i have to change up my exercises

    btw its my first time doing GVT

    thanks,
    meatNcreatine


  2. Stiff legged deadlifts are more back than legs. O.o
  3. UKStrength
    UKStrength's Avatar

    I think what you're trying to achieve is OVT (Optimised Volume Training), where you superset two 5X5 exercises, one compound, one isolation e.g.

    Barbell Bench Press 5 x 5
    Dumbell Fly 5 x 5

    The second exercise is designed to increase the 'time under tension' (TUT) so the eccentric portion is performed really slowly (6 seconds) and the concentric portion explosive.

    Here's the original article: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...olume_training

    I think 10 x 10 superset would be really tough, unless all the movements were isolation.
    •   
       


  4. OK you arent understanding my question regarding GVT

    DO I:

    BENCH
    90sec rest
    BB ROW
    90 sec rest
    BENCH
    90 sec rest
    BB ROW
    etc..you understand??????

    OR DO I:
    BENCH 10 x 10 with 90 sec rest in between then move on to:
    ROWS 10 x 10 with 90 sec rest in between
    then superset my suplementary exercises???

    DO YOU UNDERSTAND???

    Sinon - SLDL's are good for both but mainly hammies. at least for me i feel them more in my hams/lower back...its better than leg curls in my opinion

  5. 1st. Bench, rest, Row, rest, Bench, rest, Row, Rest..... till your 10th set of Bench, rest, Row, DONE!

  6. thanks dude! also, i also read that people do it like: Benchx10 Rowx10.THEN 90 sec rest...then do it again 10 times. idk whatever ill just stick to the one good post in this thread

  7. Quote Originally Posted by UKStrength View Post
    I think what you're trying to achieve is OVT (Optimised Volume Training), where you superset two 5X5 exercises, one compound, one isolation e.g.

    Barbell Bench Press 5 x 5
    Dumbell Fly 5 x 5

    The second exercise is designed to increase the 'time under tension' (TUT) so the eccentric portion is performed really slowly (6 seconds) and the concentric portion explosive.

    Here's the original article: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...olume_training

    I think 10 x 10 superset would be really tough, unless all the movements were isolation.
    Did the OVT Chest/Back routine for the first time yesterday and it was killer. Very full on workout
  8. UKStrength
    UKStrength's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhys26 View Post
    Did the OVT Chest/Back routine for the first time yesterday and it was killer. Very full on workout
    Try 10 x 10 Deadlifts then you'll know what a back workout is mate

  9. Quote Originally Posted by UKStrength View Post
    Try 10 x 10 Deadlifts then you'll know what a back workout is mate
    Am doing the 5x5's atm and they are great. Today is leg workout, looking forward to it.
  10. UKStrength
    UKStrength's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhys26 View Post
    Am doing the 5x5's atm and they are great. Today is leg workout, looking forward to it.
    I'm loving GVT for squats and deads, I've not come across anything more taxing save the tabata method.

    Although 5 x 5 with leg extensions as the ancillary exercise for squats and hamstring curls for deads would be BRUTAL

    Enjoy your session mate.

  11. Quote Originally Posted by UKStrength View Post
    I'm loving GVT for squats and deads, I've not come across anything more taxing save the tabata method.

    Although 5 x 5 with leg extensions as the ancillary exercise for squats and hamstring curls for deads would be BRUTAL

    Enjoy your session mate.
    Didnt get as much out of the leg session becuase I dont think I pushed as hard. Also couldn't do the 1 leg back extensions becuase the gym i go to doesn't have the machine. Is there another substitute for this apart from the natural glute ham raise?

  12. why do you want to do GVT? I did it once. All it does it pumps you up like a balloon. You can easily overtrain with it and you do not grow strength with it. Strength is a key ingredient to mass.

  13. I am doing ovt not gvt
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. how much volume is too much volume?a german volume training
    By Dirty music in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-26-2011, 06:24 PM
  2. german volume training
    By gidemon in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-07-2009, 07:11 PM
  3. German Volume Training
    By Ectofighter in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-11-2008, 08:53 PM
  4. German Volume Training
    By kmvern in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-06-2005, 12:36 PM
  5. german volume training
    By chessmaster in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-01-2004, 02:59 PM
Log in
Log in