Free Squat Vs Smith Squat

goleafsgo1216

Awards
I can only do free bar squats when i'm working out with buddies, but they can't always make it, when i squat on the smith machine just how much efficiency am i losing?

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Why can't you free squat w/o friends? If you've got a rack to work with just do it. Worst case scenario, it's too heavy and you go down a little below parallel and the bar is resting on the lower arms.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Why can't you free squat w/o friends? If you've got a rack to work with just do it. Worst case scenario, it's too heavy and you go down a little below parallel and the bar is resting on the lower arms.
besides...when your squatting massive weight, I have noticed 1 buddy cant really do much to help lol. At least not for me, its best just to lower it to the arms, and load off the weight.

goleafsgo1216

Awards
haha, well the thing is, i go to a small gym, we don't have a squat rack, just a dip stand, so we put the bar on it, and its awful tight to get in and out of, so if i go heavy at all its really hard to get it back in once your legs are a little rubbery

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
Oh jeez, that must suck using a dip post as a squat rack ;( Smith squats are real hard on my knees, I quit doing them

goleafsgo1216

Awards
haha yea i have to bend down and sliiiiide my neck in, hard on your knees eh?.. i think i might just lower the weight when i have no spotters, sounds like the best idea

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
i use smith on front squats works way better then front squat with barbell

dg806

dg806

Enologist/Brewmaster/Damn good guy
Awards
  • Established
Lower the weight and just do free weight squats with proper form. Leave the ego at the door :) Try some good ass to grass squats.
Absolutely agree. Smith machine puts you in an unnatural plane. Your center of gravity is off. Stick to barbell squats. Just lower the weight to something you are comfortable with~!

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Google Zercher Squats.

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
If anything do your free squats, but try and add another compound movement with it (i.e. bb lunges or stepups , front squats , hack squats, leg press)

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Zerchers are awesome Pmill!!

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
Smith Machine Squats just feel like standing Leg Presses to me :)

goleafsgo1216

Awards
ok, maybe i'll giver zercher squats a go, i can just set them on the bench rack..

rankbull

rankbull

Awards
  • Established
AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I always imagine the strongman competitions where they pick up the huge rocks when doing them.

CJPopovich

Awards
  • Established
Do real squats, just back off the weight and get some work in.

Something to think of is why are you supporting a gym that doesn't support your strength training? Find another gym. I know it's not always easy, sometimes it's not the cheapest either, but reward those gyms that let you use chalk and have good strength training equipment with your hard earned dollars.

goleafsgo1216

Awards
haha, well man in my town we only have two gyms, this one is very easy to go to for free, so i can't complaint oo much, it's small but never busy, yea ill just drop the weight, add in some leg press with it