I want to lose leg muscle!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Yari Ka Daw!
    AlexParty's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    32
    Posts
    798
    Rep Power
    520
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    46.44%

    I want to lose leg muscle!


    My legs are pretty muscular especially the calves. It's from all that soccer that I played and I want to lose some muscle in the legs. I know to diet and do no leg exercises but I tried that. I need some advice!

  2. Senior Member
    jumpshot903's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,387
    Rep Power
    12050
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    91.19%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Why on earth would You want to lose leg muscle i know you have a reason but why?
  3. New Member
    Rah22491's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    207
    Rep Power
    178
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    97.55%

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexParty View Post
    My legs are pretty muscular especially the calves. It's from all that soccer that I played and I want to lose some muscle in the legs. I know to diet and do no leg exercises but I tried that. I need some advice!
    damn i wish i had that problem
    •   
       

  4. Yari Ka Daw!
    AlexParty's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    32
    Posts
    798
    Rep Power
    520
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    46.44%

    because it doesn't look congruent to my body. Big legs looks retarded unless you want to impress guys but who wants that? I notice that kind of response from a lot of people but that's because they don't have that kind of mass but since this is a body building forum that's the goal right?

    I was guessing it's no leg workouts(I haven't worked out my legs in a year) and slow running cardio and low calories? I'd obviously be doing upper body workout to maintain the top. Any experts here?
  5. Senior Member
    jumpshot903's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,387
    Rep Power
    12050
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    91.19%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    So your not trying for a big physique right? you just want to be athletic then ya just lay off the leg workouts theres not much else you can do.
  6. Yari Ka Daw!
    AlexParty's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    32
    Posts
    798
    Rep Power
    520
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    46.44%

    Well my physique is congruent now but my legs are still a tad bigger than I want them so I don't know any other way except not working them out but I tried that and they wont get smaller so I figured the only other thing possible is maybe go for long slow jogs which I read in another thread.

    It's weird I never thought I'd ask to lose muscle all these years later.
  7. New Member
    Bruce9241's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    25
    Rep Power
    82
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    4.88%

    Best way to lose leg muscle is to join a fraternity.
  8. Professional Member
    Chub's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  183 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3,306
    Rep Power
    49688
    Level
    41
    Lv. Percent
    22.26%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    start running and cycling. Burn it off
    “We are what we repeatedly do. Therefore, excellence is not an act, but a habit.”
  9. Senior Member
    Red Dog's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,165
    Rep Power
    39389
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    59.99%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce9241 View Post
    Best way to lose leg muscle is to join a fraternity.
    from the degenerative diseases from nailing skanks and farm animals without discretion?

    or from standing for hours on end participating in circle jerks?
  10. New Member
    Bruce9241's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    25
    Rep Power
    82
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    4.88%

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    from the degenerative diseases from nailing skanks and farm animals without discretion?

    or from standing for hours on end participating in circle jerks?
    From curling all day and nothing else.
  11. Senior Member
    Red Dog's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,165
    Rep Power
    39389
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    59.99%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce9241 View Post
    From curling all day and nothing else.
    ah, also a valid reason.
  12. New Member
    walugi's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  88 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    26
    Posts
    237
    Rep Power
    201
    Level
    13
    Lv. Percent
    73.8%

    Hmm, but even the pros dont really have huge legs? How disproportionate could you be?
  13. Yari Ka Daw!
    AlexParty's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    32
    Posts
    798
    Rep Power
    520
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    46.44%

    Well I have soccer legs and for a long time my legs were bigger than my upper body(I have an ecto body) so only now do I sort of have a proportionate body.

    But I wanted to know because I read somewhere that slow running can decrease the size along with low calories. Is it long distance running(like marathons) or can I just use an elliptic machine?

    Thanks for the inputs, appreciate it.
  14. Professional Member
    Chub's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  183 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3,306
    Rep Power
    49688
    Level
    41
    Lv. Percent
    22.26%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    get some pics up
    “We are what we repeatedly do. Therefore, excellence is not an act, but a habit.”
  15. New Member
    MikeMagz1013's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    143
    Rep Power
    142
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    56.38%

    Just take a butcher's knife. Slice it open and remove. No pain no problem. No but seriously, don't work them out? You'll eventually lose the muscle or it won't be as big. But I really don't get why you'd want to lose something you worked for.
  16. Diamond Member
    Jayhawkk's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    12,790
    Rep Power
    11682
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    47.82%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Start running marathons and you'll stay in shape and drop the size of your legs. Slow, long distant running won't drop leg muscle. Stopping all cardio for the sake of making your legs smaller isn't the healthiest way but would work over time. Lowering calories could work or you could cause a loss in muscle in other areas.
  17. New Member
    Bruce9241's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    25
    Rep Power
    82
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    4.88%

    Are you Asian? Asian people tend to have bigger calves. I'm Chinese myself and I don't even work out my legs. My calves are freaken huge though, but I have a small peenor.
  18. Elite Member
    Kristofer68SS's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    42
    Posts
    5,600
    Rep Power
    13734
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    33.83%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Chub View Post
    get some pics up
    i hear ya.

    lucky bastage

    I want my legs to be awkwardly bigger........You want yours smaller.

    Trade?
  19. Yari Ka Daw!
    AlexParty's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    32
    Posts
    798
    Rep Power
    520
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    46.44%

    Thanks for everyone's input, I really appreciate it!
  20. New Member
    buuzer0's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    451
    Rep Power
    298
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    10.53%

    If being disproportionate is your problem, why not try to build some more muscle on your upper body? Or are you trying to be really small period? Just curious.
  21. New Member
    Tone's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  221 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Age
    31
    Posts
    458
    Rep Power
    304
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    44.22%

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexParty View Post
    My legs are pretty muscular especially the calves. It's from all that soccer that I played and I want to lose some muscle in the legs. I know to diet and do no leg exercises but I tried that. I need some advice!
    WhAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT? ?????????????????????????
  22. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,721
    Rep Power
    1317321
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    28.32%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    It's going to take time. I am/was in the same boat as you and, in retrospect, there really is not a reason to do this unless there is some sort of athletic application. I encountered many more leg/core injuries from not training them and also lost a lot of flexibility in the area. I train my legs in a diminished capacity now and have added some size back, but nothing that is a real hindrance.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  23. Yari Ka Daw!
    AlexParty's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    32
    Posts
    798
    Rep Power
    520
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    46.44%

    To Answer Buuzer I want to reduce the size in my legs. My upper body looks good, not too big. My legs though are a little bigger than I want them so IO just want to reduce the size in my legs. I also found that I need to start lifting weights while sitting(shrugs, biceps) because I find when I am standing I am using leg muscle to lift some weights so I think that is my problem.

    For rodja it's more the look(proportionate) than for athletic. I'm going to be cutting soon so maybe the size will decrease then. It's really for myself and no one else, I actually couldn't give a damn what people think of me but I do find my legs just a tad bigger than they should be. When i cut I will just maintain the upper body and no legs.
  24. Advanced Member
    MuscleBound1337's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    928
    Rep Power
    575
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    85.85%

    We need pictures. (no homo) I think that will give us a better idea of what your dealing with.
  25. Elite Member
    Kristofer68SS's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    42
    Posts
    5,600
    Rep Power
    13734
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    33.83%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleBound1337 View Post
    We need pictures. (no homo) I think that will give us a better idea of what your dealing with.
    i second that.
  26. Yari Ka Daw!
    AlexParty's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    32
    Posts
    798
    Rep Power
    520
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    46.44%

    Alright I'll take a picture soon and post it.
  27. New Member
    NutriSci's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Age
    25
    Posts
    174
    Rep Power
    158
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    34.09%

    This thread is asinine!
  28. Senior Member
    silverSurfer's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,930
    Rep Power
    1101
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    40.94%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    What? I'd take that muscle if I could!

    Like some people stated, I too wish I had this problem.
  29. Yari Ka Daw!
    AlexParty's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    32
    Posts
    798
    Rep Power
    520
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    46.44%

    Ok I posted some pics up on photobucket. I suck at taking pictures so it was a little hard. I'm not flexing, the only time is with my calve, it was even hard taking that pic. You'll have an upper body and then calves. I am cutting now as you can see from my waist and summer is not here yet so I wont wax until then .
  30. Yari Ka Daw!
    AlexParty's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    32
    Posts
    798
    Rep Power
    520
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    46.44%














    Although for some reason the pics makes my legs look smaller. When I look in the mirror they are a little bigger.
  31. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,721
    Rep Power
    1317321
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    28.32%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    You didn't post any showing your thighs...
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  32. Yari Ka Daw!
    AlexParty's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    32
    Posts
    798
    Rep Power
    520
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    46.44%

    That's true I will take pics soon and post those up. I'm wearing super baggy shorts, those are from when I bulked last year around this time, I usually wear fitted stuff. I weighed the most at 201 and now I'm 170. What do you think though now looking at these pics from that angle maybe I will lose some size when I cut? Maybe I just need to tone them but I always stretch when I play soccer? Man I sound like a chick.

    Right now to cut I'm taking SX and it's the first day. Wow man I have tons of energy and it basically allows me to cut diet, we shall see at the end of the week.
  33. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,721
    Rep Power
    1317321
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    28.32%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    You can't tell anything from this pics. You're in board shorts that cover everything.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  34. Yari Ka Daw!
    AlexParty's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    32
    Posts
    798
    Rep Power
    520
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    46.44%

    Ya that's true it looks a little weird. I just got back from work so I put on anything and didn't realize I'd be in the mood to take pics for AM But ok I have to go now, when I come back I'll take pull thigh + calve pics to show the whole thing. Thanks for the time to give advice, appreciate it man.
  35. Elite Member
    Kristofer68SS's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    42
    Posts
    5,600
    Rep Power
    13734
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    33.83%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    those legs are not disproportionate

    nice try though
  36. The Female Terminator
    Rosie Chee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  116 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    30
    Posts
    16,186
    Rep Power
    493835
    Level
    76
    Lv. Percent
    53.4%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexParty View Post
    My legs are pretty muscular especially the calves. It's from all that soccer that I played and I want to lose some muscle in the legs. I know to diet and do no leg exercises but I tried that. I need some advice!
    Your pics do not really show your legs at all. Calves a little, but not any thigh development, and nothing to compare your upper to lower body.

    As for losing muscle in your legs, I can understand where you are coming from (having disproportionate size in my lower to upper body myself), but dieting and doing no exercises for legs is NOT necessarily going to do this.


    Quote Originally Posted by Chub View Post
    start running and cycling. Burn it off
    Cycling will actually INcrease muscle mass in your legs, Dave (trust me, I KNOW). And depending on what type of running you do (i.e. sprinting or long distance) will determine as well, although neither will "burn it off" ("it" being muscle; although may help with decreasing bodyfat, which can help 'slim down' your legs).


    Quote Originally Posted by AlexParty View Post
    But I wanted to know because I read somewhere that slow running can decrease the size along with low calories. Is it long distance running(like marathons) or can I just use an elliptic machine?
    Slow running won't decrease the size of your legs. As far as distance running; this is not necessarily slow at all. However, distance running can decrease the size of legs, simply because it will generally causes a decrease in body fat (especially if diet is targeted to suit).


    Quote Originally Posted by buuzer0 View Post
    If being disproportionate is your problem, why not try to build some more muscle on your upper body?...
    I did that. I got to the point where I was proportional, and then I had an injury. And lost upper body size and gained MORE lower body size (since I could only do cardio whilst casted). Grrrr...


    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    ...I train my legs in a diminished capacity now and have added some size back...
    Yes. I stopped training my legs in the gym for almost 2 years, only training them on and off, since anything (regardless of weight, sets, or reps) caused muscle gain there. However, in saying that, you will get BETTER muscle growth in your upper body if you train legs (or at least do a few sets of squats before going into your other training).
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

    "Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  37. Advanced Member
    MuscleBound1337's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    928
    Rep Power
    575
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    85.85%

    Well thick calves are genetic, lossing that thick look will be hard for you to do. Some guys just have thick calves.. JUst don't train them, what else could you possibly do..
  38. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,721
    Rep Power
    1317321
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    28.32%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Guejsn View Post
    Yes. I stopped training my legs in the gym for almost 2 years, only training them on and off, since anything (regardless of weight, sets, or reps) caused muscle gain there. However, in saying that, you will get BETTER muscle growth in your upper body if you train legs (or at least do a few sets of squats before going into your other training).
    To an extent, yes, but the reason I stopped training legs was to balance out my physique and also because excessive thigh girth was a hindrance for my submissions. I have actually has my best strength gains when I hardly train my legs (less CNS fatigue is my presumption), but, by this time, my thighs were well over 28" when I was around 190 or so. Between GPP, BJJ, sparring, and the other S&C portions, having lingering DOMS was just not in my best interest.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  39. Yari Ka Daw!
    AlexParty's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    32
    Posts
    798
    Rep Power
    520
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    46.44%

    Quote Originally Posted by Kristofer68SS View Post
    those legs are not disproportionate

    nice try though
    I wasn't trying to show off or brag, in fact if you say they're not disproportionate that's great.
  40. Yari Ka Daw!
    AlexParty's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    32
    Posts
    798
    Rep Power
    520
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    46.44%

    I didn't have time but when I get back from work I'll try and take a pic that shows my calves and thigh. I know that's proportionate but it's always my calves that are being shown, not thighs but if you guys think they aren't that big then I'm happy. See the only reason I bring this up is that 3 different girls told me this so I took it into consideration.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. build muscle and lose fat!! can it be done?!
    By workout18 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 10-12-2009, 07:16 AM
  2. Lose fat keep muscle?
    By JDoc37 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-02-2009, 08:33 PM
  3. i want to LOSE muscle
    By davelf in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 05-18-2007, 01:26 AM
  4. Want to gain muscle+lose fat on M1T
    By Phenomenal in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-09-2003, 06:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in