I want to lose leg muscle!

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
My legs are pretty muscular especially the calves. It's from all that soccer that I played and I want to lose some muscle in the legs. I know to diet and do no leg exercises but I tried that. I need some advice!

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
Why on earth would You want to lose leg muscle i know you have a reason but why?

Rah22491

Awards
My legs are pretty muscular especially the calves. It's from all that soccer that I played and I want to lose some muscle in the legs. I know to diet and do no leg exercises but I tried that. I need some advice!
damn i wish i had that problem

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
because it doesn't look congruent to my body. Big legs looks retarded unless you want to impress guys but who wants that? I notice that kind of response from a lot of people but that's because they don't have that kind of mass but since this is a body building forum that's the goal right?

I was guessing it's no leg workouts(I haven't worked out my legs in a year) and slow running cardio and low calories? I'd obviously be doing upper body workout to maintain the top. Any experts here?

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
So your not trying for a big physique right? you just want to be athletic then ya just lay off the leg workouts theres not much else you can do.

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
Well my physique is congruent now but my legs are still a tad bigger than I want them so I don't know any other way except not working them out but I tried that and they wont get smaller so I figured the only other thing possible is maybe go for long slow jogs which I read in another thread.

It's weird I never thought I'd ask to lose muscle all these years later.

Bruce9241

Awards
Best way to lose leg muscle is to join a fraternity.

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
start running and cycling. Burn it off :)

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
Best way to lose leg muscle is to join a fraternity.
from the degenerative diseases from nailing skanks and farm animals without discretion?

or from standing for hours on end participating in circle jerks?

Bruce9241

Awards
from the degenerative diseases from nailing skanks and farm animals without discretion?

or from standing for hours on end participating in circle jerks?
From curling all day and nothing else.

walugi

walugi

Awards
Hmm, but even the pros dont really have huge legs? How disproportionate could you be?

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
Well I have soccer legs and for a long time my legs were bigger than my upper body(I have an ecto body) so only now do I sort of have a proportionate body.

But I wanted to know because I read somewhere that slow running can decrease the size along with low calories. Is it long distance running(like marathons) or can I just use an elliptic machine?

Thanks for the inputs, appreciate it.:006:

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
get some pics up

MikeMagz1013

Awards
Just take a butcher's knife. Slice it open and remove. No pain no problem. No but seriously, don't work them out? You'll eventually lose the muscle or it won't be as big. But I really don't get why you'd want to lose something you worked for.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Start running marathons and you'll stay in shape and drop the size of your legs. Slow, long distant running won't drop leg muscle. Stopping all cardio for the sake of making your legs smaller isn't the healthiest way but would work over time. Lowering calories could work or you could cause a loss in muscle in other areas.

Bruce9241

Awards
Are you Asian? Asian people tend to have bigger calves. I'm Chinese myself and I don't even work out my legs. My calves are freaken huge though, but I have a small peenor.

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
Thanks for everyone's input, I really appreciate it!

buuzer0

buuzer0

Awards
  • Established
If being disproportionate is your problem, why not try to build some more muscle on your upper body? Or are you trying to be really small period? Just curious.

Tone

Tone

Awards
  • Established
WhAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT??????????????????????????

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's going to take time. I am/was in the same boat as you and, in retrospect, there really is not a reason to do this unless there is some sort of athletic application. I encountered many more leg/core injuries from not training them and also lost a lot of flexibility in the area. I train my legs in a diminished capacity now and have added some size back, but nothing that is a real hindrance.

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
To Answer Buuzer I want to reduce the size in my legs. My upper body looks good, not too big. My legs though are a little bigger than I want them so IO just want to reduce the size in my legs. I also found that I need to start lifting weights while sitting(shrugs, biceps) because I find when I am standing I am using leg muscle to lift some weights so I think that is my problem.

For rodja it's more the look(proportionate) than for athletic. I'm going to be cutting soon so maybe the size will decrease then. It's really for myself and no one else, I actually couldn't give a damn what people think of me but I do find my legs just a tad bigger than they should be. When i cut I will just maintain the upper body and no legs.

MuscleBound1337

MuscleBound1337

Awards
  • Established
We need pictures. (no homo) I think that will give us a better idea of what your dealing with.

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
What? I'd take that muscle if I could!

Like some people stated, I too wish I had this problem.

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
Ok I posted some pics up on photobucket. I suck at taking pictures so it was a little hard. I'm not flexing, the only time is with my calve, it was even hard taking that pic. You'll have an upper body and then calves. I am cutting now as you can see from my waist and summer is not here yet so I wont wax until then :).

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established

Although for some reason the pics makes my legs look smaller. When I look in the mirror they are a little bigger.

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
That's true I will take pics soon and post those up. I'm wearing super baggy shorts, those are from when I bulked last year around this time, I usually wear fitted stuff. I weighed the most at 201 and now I'm 170. What do you think though now looking at these pics from that angle maybe I will lose some size when I cut? Maybe I just need to tone them but I always stretch when I play soccer? Man I sound like a chick.

Right now to cut I'm taking SX and it's the first day. Wow man I have tons of energy and it basically allows me to cut diet, we shall see at the end of the week.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You can't tell anything from this pics. You're in board shorts that cover everything.

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
Ya that's true it looks a little weird. I just got back from work so I put on anything and didn't realize I'd be in the mood to take pics for AM :) But ok I have to go now, when I come back I'll take pull thigh + calve pics to show the whole thing. Thanks for the time to give advice, appreciate it man.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
those legs are not disproportionate

nice try though

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Your pics do not really show your legs at all. Calves a little, but not any thigh development, and nothing to compare your upper to lower body.

As for losing muscle in your legs, I can understand where you are coming from (having disproportionate size in my lower to upper body myself), but dieting and doing no exercises for legs is NOT necessarily going to do this.

start running and cycling. Burn it off :)
Cycling will actually INcrease muscle mass in your legs, Dave (trust me, I KNOW). And depending on what type of running you do (i.e. sprinting or long distance) will determine as well, although neither will "burn it off" ("it" being muscle; although may help with decreasing bodyfat, which can help 'slim down' your legs).

But I wanted to know because I read somewhere that slow running can decrease the size along with low calories. Is it long distance running(like marathons) or can I just use an elliptic machine?
Slow running won't decrease the size of your legs. As far as distance running; this is not necessarily slow at all. However, distance running can decrease the size of legs, simply because it will generally causes a decrease in body fat (especially if diet is targeted to suit).

If being disproportionate is your problem, why not try to build some more muscle on your upper body?...
I did that. I got to the point where I was proportional, and then I had an injury. And lost upper body size and gained MORE lower body size (since I could only do cardio whilst casted). Grrrr...

...I train my legs in a diminished capacity now and have added some size back...
Yes. I stopped training my legs in the gym for almost 2 years, only training them on and off, since anything (regardless of weight, sets, or reps) caused muscle gain there. However, in saying that, you will get BETTER muscle growth in your upper body if you train legs (or at least do a few sets of squats before going into your other training).

MuscleBound1337

MuscleBound1337

Awards
  • Established
Well thick calves are genetic, lossing that thick look will be hard for you to do. Some guys just have thick calves.. JUst don't train them, what else could you possibly do..

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes. I stopped training my legs in the gym for almost 2 years, only training them on and off, since anything (regardless of weight, sets, or reps) caused muscle gain there. However, in saying that, you will get BETTER muscle growth in your upper body if you train legs (or at least do a few sets of squats before going into your other training).
To an extent, yes, but the reason I stopped training legs was to balance out my physique and also because excessive thigh girth was a hindrance for my submissions. I have actually has my best strength gains when I hardly train my legs (less CNS fatigue is my presumption), but, by this time, my thighs were well over 28" when I was around 190 or so. Between GPP, BJJ, sparring, and the other S&C portions, having lingering DOMS was just not in my best interest.

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
I didn't have time but when I get back from work I'll try and take a pic that shows my calves and thigh. I know that's proportionate but it's always my calves that are being shown, not thighs but if you guys think they aren't that big then I'm happy. See the only reason I bring this up is that 3 different girls told me this so I took it into consideration.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
I wasn't trying to show off or brag, in fact if you say they're not disproportionate that's great.
IMO, I would hit them harder.

If you want to get some overall growth in your upper body. Run the starting strength program along with lots of cals.

Everyone has different goals. So do what you want.

No matter how big my legs got, I would not stop training them.

Good luck on whichever you choose.

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
Ok here is my thigh pic with calves.

It's proportionate in those pics... I know I'll lose some size in my legs as I am cutting now for the summer so maybe I should just drop it. Thanks for everyone's inputs and time, GREATLY appreciated.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There is no reason for you to say your thighs are too large.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There is no reason for you to say your thighs are too large.
^^^ I agree. There's nothing disproportional about your lower body compared to your upper body. And your legs are far from what would be considered "large".

walugi

walugi

Awards
its pretty well balanced imo

but how much smaller would you want to reduce it?

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
Awesome thanks for the feedback. At first I didn't think they were too big but I got those comments at work from 3 girls, one I dated at the time. They said my legs were too big but the only time they saw my legs is when I bulked last year and they got huge. Thanks again guys.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
Awesome thanks for the feedback. At first I didn't think they were too big but I got those comments at work from 3 girls, one I dated at the time. They said my legs were too big but the only time they saw my legs is when I bulked last year and they got huge. Thanks again guys.
nah, your good bro.

hit them legs harder bro..........

slow and low got my legs to grow.......those and deadlifts.......LOTS of them.

Calories. lots of calories

see pic of my fat azz in my log......below.

MPFit

MPFit

Awards
  • Established
i grew up playing soccer too.. my legs are also much "thicker" than the rest of my body..
The reason I got into bodybuiding was to make myself more proportionate too..
Instead of actually trying to lower my leg mass though, I hit upper body and did some occasional sprints.. I've evened out nicely in the past 2 years.. Also- I never stopped playing soccer so I wouldn't say I've lost any mass in my legs either.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
i grew up playing soccer too.. my legs are also much "thicker" than the rest of my body..
The reason I got into bodybuiding was to make myself more proportionate too..
Instead of actually trying to lower my leg mass though, I hit upper body and did some occasional sprints.. I've evened out nicely in the past 2 years.. Also- I never stopped playing soccer so I wouldn't say I've lost any mass in my legs either.

good advice.

lucky you.........i have/had bird legs forever.

i got screwed on both sides of the tree.

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
Hey Kris, if I work them out to be honest they get bigger and I can't fit in my fitted jeans. I haven't worked them out for a year, I mean I use them to lift heavy weights, I run etc... If I do leg exercises but light weight, high reps and fast pace they shouldn't get big but toned right? Right now just really focusing on cutting. I'm a natural ecto so it's not that hard to lose weight.