barbell flat bench. I've been stuck for about a month now

Bruce9241

Awards
My bench hasn't really gotten stronger for about a month. The last time I maxed was about a month and a half ago and it was 265. I have been doing the 5x5 bench routines @225lbs for about a month and half now and it doesn't seem like I'm getting stronger. I did chest today and I don't feel stronger.

Are there any ways to improve upon this area? I also do dips and dumbell inclines the same day during my chest days. I eat plenty of protein and get moderate amount of sleep. I weigh 230lbs if that means anything.

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
Switch it up lower the weight to like 205 and do 3 sets of 8 or something do something different if a certain program is not working switch it up i always do something like this when i bench.

Warm up 135x10
155x10
185x8
205x4
185x6

I work my way up the weights then go back down i usually would go down to 155 again but didnt feel like it. You could move to weighted dips if dips are getting to easy.

I think the best thing to do is change routine

beejman

Awards
or take some time off... when I hit a rut, I take a week or so off. Generally you'll come back stronger.

ccapone1153

ccapone1153

Awards
  • Established
If youve been doing the same thing, the same way for a while your body has probably adapted to the stimulus and is now inadiquate for stimulating the pectoral muscles enough.. try switching it up and doing incline barbel it is harder and you will have to drop your weight at first, but it will help your flat bench for sure.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Try throwing in a few sets of dumbbell presses.

Also don't forget the integral role of anterior deltoid and triceps in bench numbers. Train them both HEAVY.

UGHQTempus

UGHQTempus

Awards
  • Established
or take some time off... when I hit a rut, I take a week or so off. Generally you'll come back stronger.
x2

If you maxed out and then went into a 5x5 I can promise your CNS is fried. You need a solid week off.

When you come back just ramp it a little gently. Do a week of 3x10s and take 2-3 weeks to get back to 1RM range. You probably be pushing 280ish.