Supersetting question

redline2101

Awards
I don't know if this is popular or not, but has anybody tried supersetting squats or deadlifts with bicepts+tricepts? Would doing a squat set and then immediatly doing bicept then tricept exercises help get the HGH and Test from squats into the smaller muscle groups or am I off on this?

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
I don't know if this is popular or not, but has anybody tried supersetting squats or deadlifts with bicepts+tricepts? Would doing a squat set and then immediatly doing bicept then tricept exercises help get the HGH and Test from squats into the smaller muscle groups or am I off on this?
I believe the hormonal response from Squats and DLs is systemic and affects all skeletal muscle tissue. I can't say for sure, but I don't believe super-setting would have a greater impact on the target muscles than simply training those muscles earlier in the same session or even the day before. Anyways, I think if you did some arm work after your DLs or Squats then you would be just as well off as opposed to doing it immediately afterward (probably more so due to the recovery period allowing you to regain your composure and put up heavier weight for more reps).

But I'm no expert -- plus, I would bitch out on anything I tried to super-set with Squats or DLs!

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
^^^Nailed it. Performing the curls or whatever in the same session will provide the same amount of benefit as supersetting with Squats or DLs would.

Supersetting is a good way to increase the density of your training though - shorten the time of your sessions and keep your heartrate elevated longer, which can translate to help with recomping.

Squats and DLs in any superset is taxing, but rewarding. I highly recommend it.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
I believe the hormonal response from Squats and DLs is systemic and affects all skeletal muscle tissue. I can't say for sure, but I don't believe super-setting would have a greater impact on the target muscles than simply training those muscles earlier in the same session or even the day before. Anyways, I think if you did some arm work after your DLs or Squats then you would be just as well off as opposed to doing it immediately afterward (probably more so due to the recovery period allowing you to regain your composure and put up heavier weight for more reps).

But I'm no expert -- plus, I would bitch out on anything I tried to super-set with Squats or DLs!
that's what i gather as well. test is released into the bloodstream and affects all muscles. your theory (OP) is that by supersetting another exercise into a squat/deadlift set, you would be forcing that blood (with a higher testosterone level) into the secondary muscle via a pump. i really don't know how effective that would work - though you're welcome to try it and post your results - in the interest of science :)

redline2101

Awards
Yea i only say because I have been doing GVT, and I decided to try mixing some light bicep and tricep exercises in and I got a pretty awesome pump, but as I only tried it one workout I cant say for sure. I want to design a new workout routine to start in a week to incorporate it, and test to see for sure. Not sure exactly how I should go about this though. I'm thinking take my 1rm for bench/squat/dead lift tomorrow, weekend off and then start my new routine. I guess get my body stats too, which I can do in school b/c I have an applied anatomy class where we take BF% and Blood pressure every other day.

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
I agree. I was always told by bigger guys than me that whatever i worked with legs would grow faster, but i found that just working legs,in fact, made me grow faster.