Lower chest issue. I have none

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Lower chest issue. I have none

I seem to be having some trouble developing my lower chest. I have no chest muscle below the nipple. The rest of my chest has developed fine, and I've always had a nice cut on the inside of the chest, it's just the lower portion that I can't seem to target. Last chest day I did Decline dumbbells, decline flyes, incline bench, and some wide forward dips in that order. All of my chest is sore except for the lower part and I don't know why. I just can't seem to hit it. I need some recommendations.

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  199 lbs.
    Answers

Weighted wide grip dips...go all the way down, chin level with your hands.

3. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by drivehard View Post
    Weighted wide grip dips...go all the way down, chin level with your hands.
    I'll give that a try. I usually don't go quite that deep with my dips.

•   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  221 lbs.
    Answers

I had the same problem

I did flat, incline, decline, flys with a slight under turn, and dips in that order- seemed to help me. Everybody is different though

5. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  199 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by jsheely View Post
    I'll give that a try. I usually don't go quite that deep with my dips.
    If you are just going down to a 90 degree bend in your elbow, you are mostly just using your tri's. Every little bit past that really puts a focus on your chest. If you can, hold it down at the bottom and alternate sets of pressing out slow and exploding out. That will really put the burn in your boobies.

6. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    I had the same problem

I did flat, incline, decline, flys with a slight under turn, and dips in that order- seemed to help me. Everybody is different though
    Hey what exactly do you mean by a slight under turn?

7. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Answers

If you are just going down to a 90 degree bend in your elbow, you are mostly just using your tri's. Every little bit past that really puts a focus on your chest. If you can, hold it down at the bottom and alternate sets of pressing out slow and exploding out. That will really put the burn in your boobies.
    Do wide dips emphasize the lower chest though? I always felt more a burn mostly in the upper and middle chest with dips.

8. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  199 lbs.
    Answers

Do wide dips emphasize the lower chest though? I always felt more a burn mostly in the upper and middle chest with dips.
    They always have for me...been the best lower chest exercise I have ever done personally.

9. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  221 lbs.
    Answers

Hey what exactly do you mean by a slight under turn?
    I sorta supinate my wrists so the dumbell side closest to my feet touch together. when i do that i can feel it in my low chest.

10. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  177 lbs.
    Answers

What's up man, Im glad to see you are still pumping hard. Pullovers and decline benchpress exercises are helping me a lot on developing my lower chest, dips are also a good way to ass mass in that area. By the way(don't mean to highjack your thread) how did your cycle go? What kind of gains did you experience? later.

11. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  199 lbs.
    Answers

Hey, I thought of another thing to add.

High pull cable flys.

Set the cables up high (above head level), take a step forward and lean forward just enough to keep your balance. With your arms pretty much straight (just shy of lockout), flex your chest and bring your hands together in front of you down to about waist level. When you have your hands together, pause and keep your chest flexed for a second or two before returning them to the out-stretch position.

I do a variation of this to hit all angles of chest. I set up a incline bench set to 90 degrees straight up in front of the cables. I start with the cables at the lowest setting. sit in the bench and do a set of 10 reps, get up and move the cables two notches up, do another set of 10, and repeat until they are all the way up...now move back down. Works the entire chest. I love this...only do it about once a month though, as it really taxes the chest.

12. New Member
    Answers

Wide Grip for helps.

13. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by cplgonzo View Post
    What's up man, Im glad to see you are still pumping hard. Pullovers and decline benchpress exercises are helping me a lot on developing my lower chest, dips are also a good way to ass mass in that area. By the way(don't mean to highjack your thread) how did your cycle go? What kind of gains did you experience? later.
    Hey man good to hear from you. Thanks for the advice, I've always neglected declines. The cycle went pretty well. I gained about 8 pounds, most of that on my back and arms. Didn't really feel anything amazing with the h-drol, but if anything it made me a little stricter with my diet and training and speeded up recovery a bit. I worked a lot harder during that 6 weeks than I ever have before. How's your training going?

14. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Hey, I thought of another thing to add.

High pull cable flys.

Set the cables up high (above head level), take a step forward and lean forward just enough to keep your balance. With your arms pretty much straight (just shy of lockout), flex your chest and bring your hands together in front of you down to about waist level. When you have your hands together, pause and keep your chest flexed for a second or two before returning them to the out-stretch position.

I do a variation of this to hit all angles of chest. I set up a incline bench set to 90 degrees straight up in front of the cables. I start with the cables at the lowest setting. sit in the bench and do a set of 10 reps, get up and move the cables two notches up, do another set of 10, and repeat until they are all the way up...now move back down. Works the entire chest. I love this...only do it about once a month though, as it really taxes the chest.

I'm definitely going to give that try. I've never really done a whole lot of cable flys before. I've been doing dips though like you said and they seem to be helping a lot. I'm also trying to cut some fat right now, so with the dips and dieting I'm starting to see the lower chest come out for the first time. Thanks again for the advice man.

15. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.
    Answers

Dumbbell pullovers may help you a lot in building this part of your body. They activate the pec minor which is usually neglected by training if i remember correctly. Just make sure to use good form or else you can easily turn it into a tricep move.

16. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  199 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by pmiller383 View Post
    Dumbbell pullovers may help you a lot in building this part of your body. They activate the pec minor which is usually neglected by training if i remember correctly. Just make sure to use good form or else you can easily turn it into a tricep move.
    I could never get the form just right doing these...but there is a machine that locks you in perfectly for these. This is probably one of the only exercises I prefer the machine to free weights...makes you use your lats/stomach/lower chest instead of your tri's.

17. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Answers

My chest has been starting to catch up a lot lately. I've been doing dips every week, which is really making a difference. I also have corrected my bench for a bit. I had my elbows flared out a bit too much before and was using too much of the shoulders.

18. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Answers

Keep at it. Also, on decline work, make sure you don't flare your lats out wide where they are helping in the lift. They might move a little, but don't use so much weight it takes everything to keep it from crushing your neck. Find that balance where most of work is done with chest. It sounds like you've done some corrections that are working for you.

19. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'6"   lbs.
    Answers

I've always had the opposite problem, too much lower chest and not enough upper. My lower chest got big from weighted dips (leaning far forward) and decline with barbell and dumbells. Did about 4 sets of each at 8-10 reps.

20. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Chubbinmuffin View Post
    I've always had the opposite problem, too much lower chest and not enough upper. My lower chest got big from weighted dips (leaning far forward) and decline with barbell and dumbells. Did about 4 sets of each at 8-10 reps.
    I started lifting for football when I was fifteen, and none of our programs ever included decline presses or wide dips. Coaches always said it wasn't important. So, naturally my lower chest has always been lacking.

21. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'6"   lbs.
    Answers

Yeah for football I wouldn't think it would be too important, but as far as bbing goes a well developed chest is gold. Just be sure to hit it from all angles. I just started a new routine, seems to be working, but I grab a set of dumbells and lift them incline, flat, then decline with 1 minute rest in between each set. Then I'll drop weight and do it again for 3 or 4 more rounds. I make sure I get a set of slow reps, too, with 4 seconds up and 4 seconds down.

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Chest Help/Issue
    By Will Wagner in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-27-2009, 09:30 PM
  2. Lower chest exercise
    By vette00 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-10-2008, 10:51 PM
  3. HELP : Lower chest workout !!
    By mdtech123 in forum Training Forum