How is 1 hour > 3hours

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  176 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.05%

How is 1 hour > 3hours

I used to do 2-3 hours in the gym with jack3d i was pumped. But after reading around here a bit people say 1 hour is optimum due to cortisol setting in. Just wondering whether its that big of a deal at a yound age. My workouts vary on intensity depending on whether i got any pre-workout supp.

Thanks

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'6"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.6%

The timing ur talknig about strictly only deals with the actual time you are participating in working out so the water breaks and stretching and so on doesnt count. Cortisol is released at a young age as well as in older adults and to be honest probably has an earlier onset than older adults (this is assuming you are younger than 18, if you are over 18 the general rule of thumb is one hour). As for cortisol and catabolic effects, it really depends on what your goals are, for example if you wanna just lift to get stronger and there isnt a lot of emphasis on hypertrophy (increased muscle mass) than going into the cortisol release period isnt that bad. If you are trying to increase your muscle size you want to stay away from going over an hour (thus releasing cortisol).
  3. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.41%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

If you can lift for 2-3 hours you are not pushing yourself hard enough. Resting too long or using too light of a load so that you can do an enormous volume of sets.

Rule of thumb: if you're not beat after an 1hr - you're not training hard enough. Regardless of age. Only exception is for guys on cycle, sometimes.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

***NOW @ NP***
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.33%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

yea dude im usually out within an hr

bench set of 20,5,3,2,1,1 till max
    DB Bench 3-4 x 5
    CG 3-4 sets of 10
    shoulder Press 4 x 6
    rear delt flies 3 x 10
    Curls 6 x 8

and im out in a lil over an House sweating like a bitch and drenched in sweat i kno i put in work i dont even wanna be in the gym after all that.
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  184 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.17%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

i gotta do two-a-days now, cardio in the am for an hour then iron in the afternoon.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.69%

Quote Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
    If you can lift for 2-3 hours you are not pushing yourself hard enough. Resting too long or using too light of a load so that you can do an enormous volume of sets.

Rule of thumb: if you're not beat after an 1hr - you're not training hard enough. Regardless of age. Only exception is for guys on cycle, sometimes.
    Amen.
    BTW--your workout duration should depend on your endurance and intensity, not on whether or not you have "preworkout supps".
    Jack3d is great, but a focused workout is better.
  7. UKStrength

The length of time you spend in the gym doesn't elicit any better results, it's the intensity you train at (much like what Resolve said above).

Training is destructive in nature, it damages your body. The only way to adapt and grow following this, is to rest and recover.

Do the minimal amount needed to elicit the training response and go home and GROW.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  221 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.45%

Quote Originally Posted by Resolve View Post

Right on!
  9. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.18%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

I think everyone has already told you great advice so far...I just wanna say there is no way I could train for 3 hours, even if I wanted to, unless I had insane rest periods and did all my workouts combined in one day...and then my intensity would suffer
    PES Representative
    Don't miss out on the next deal:
    http://pescience.com/insider
    Protein Backed by Science: http://selectprotein.com
  10. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.41%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Resolve killed it, reps
  11. UKStrength

Quote Originally Posted by bolt10 View Post
    I think everyone has already told you great advice so far...I just wanna say there is no way I could train for 3 hours, even if I wanted to, unless I had insane rest periods and did all my workouts combined in one day...and then my intensity would suffer
    The last time I trained for 2 hours was when I was on Test, and that was beyond exhausting!

Naturally, there's no way I could do it and maintain intensity.
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  176 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.05%

Thx for the advice guys
  13. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.71%

Quote Originally Posted by UKStrength View Post
    The length of time you spend in the gym doesn't elicit any better results, it's the intensity you train at (much like what Resolve said above).

Training is destructive in nature, it damages your body. The only way to adapt and grow following this, is to rest and recover.

Do the minimal amount needed to elicit the training response and go home and GROW.
    I agree, more is not better. But do you guys remember those days when you trained for hours thinking the more the better? That was fun stuff. I remember I trained 2-3 hours a day for 2 weeks once. Then I slept/stayed in bed a whole weekend(I'm not joking) and figured out the true meaning of overtraining...I almost killed myself. Thing was my friend/training partner was a genetic freak and still didnt over train doing this, at least not to a noticable degree. lol.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Gold's vs. 24 Hour?
    By Dchristo in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-27-2010, 12:20 AM
  2. A 72 hour LG Special
    By AE14 in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-11-2010, 02:12 PM
  3. Earth Hour
    By jjohn in forum General Chat
    Replies: 13