would a ectomorph gain mass from GVT?

rustlerracer

rustlerracer

Awards
So im 6 foot 170, ecto, have been putting about 10lbs on a year for the past 3 years basically bulking with very little fat gain, but feel as though im slowing down. My main goal is mass, my strength goals have been surpassed and im looking for a new training regime and have been interested in German Volume Training. If theres anything better for mass for us hardgainers lemme know. Diet is in-check eating everything in sight bassically, so dont need diet advice. Thank you all

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
if you're 6' and 170 you can give GVT a shot. now that you've built up a foundation, experiment a bit. i would think given that you've put on 30 lbs so far, you should look into DC training, again now that you have a solid foundation.

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
So im 6 foot 170, ecto, have been putting about 10lbs on a year for the past 3 years basically bulking with very little fat gain, but feel as though im slowing down. My main goal is mass, my strength goals have been surpassed and im looking for a new training regime and have been interested in German Volume Training. If theres anything better for mass for us hardgainers lemme know. Diet is in-check eating everything in sight bassically, so dont need diet advice. Thank you all
Well what program have you been using to gain the ~10 lbs/year? The traditional 2-3 exercises per muscle for 3-4 sets of 10, or full-body workouts, or a 5x5 program variant, or strength training w/ low reps and heavy weight, or what's it look like now/previously?

If you've been using heavy weight and lower reps for a long time, GVT might be something you'd see nice results from, but let's talk about what your old routine was first.

rustlerracer

rustlerracer

Awards
Ive been doing about 3-4 exercises per muscle for 3 sets usually 12,10,8 reps. usually heavy weight struggling a bit for the last 2 reps of the set of 8.

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
Ive been doing about 3-4 exercises per muscle for 3 sets usually 12,10,8 reps. usually heavy weight struggling a bit for the last 2 reps of the set of 8.
I got ya -- 9-10 is where I usually shoot for when aiming for hypertrophy as well. It's actually a good thing if you're aiming for 3 sets of 10 and end up something like 10,10,8 -- suggests you're using a weight that is challenging enough.

But yes, you could give GVT a shot -- this article from T-Nation is a nice refresher on the routine.

AM has a bunch of threads discussing some of the finer points you might want to check out as well -- like this one.

If you're eating everything in sight then you know your body composition and what it takes to put on mass so I won't bother giving advice there.

But if you choose to give it a run, give it several weeks and let us know what results you experience -- good luck!

rustlerracer

rustlerracer

Awards
I got ya -- 9-10 is where I usually shoot for when aiming for hypertrophy as well. It's actually a good thing if you're aiming for 3 sets of 10 and end up something like 10,10,8 -- suggests you're using a weight that is challenging enough.

But yes, you could give GVT a shot -- this article from T-Nation is a nice refresher on the routine.

AM has a bunch of threads discussing some of the finer points you might want to check out as well -- like this one.

If you're eating everything in sight then you know your body composition and what it takes to put on mass so I won't bother giving advice there.

But if you choose to give it a run, give it several weeks and let us know what results you experience -- good luck!
Excellent, thanks, my only concern with a new routine with higher reps is that despite being strong and haveing decent definition my muscle get tired faster and i seem to need a little more of a break than the bigger guys lifting the same weight, (i.e. max bench 265 weighing 170), im guessing this is due to less volume of muscle fiber, just hopeing that GVT or DC wouldnt be too intense and be approaching over-training. If this makes sense or im just worrying, once again adding that Mass is the goal. Thanks

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
Excellent, thanks, my only concern with a new routine with higher reps is that despite being strong and haveing decent definition my muscle get tired faster and i seem to need a little more of a break than the bigger guys lifting the same weight, (i.e. max bench 265 weighing 170), im guessing this is due to less volume of muscle fiber, just hopeing that GVT or DC wouldnt be too intense and be approaching over-training. If this makes sense or im just worrying, once again adding that Mass is the goal. Thanks
That was a good bump because I totally overlooked this thread somehow.

The rest periods for GVT actually are pretty short and roughly 60 seconds is suggested. You have the options of lowering the weight a little bit, or using slightly longer rest periods (IMO, I would use more rest before less weight).

Give that a shot starting out -- if it's too fast paced then just adjust it accordingly until you can move the weight at least 7 reps for the last several sets. Also, endurance work at high reps might help out with muscle fatigue in the long run, but that's beside the point.

I don't know if you take a Pre-WO supplement but they really help for GVT sessions IMO. Might want to look into that!

rustlerracer

rustlerracer

Awards
That was a good bump because I totally overlooked this thread somehow.

The rest periods for GVT actually are pretty short and roughly 60 seconds is suggested. You have the options of lowering the weight a little bit, or using slightly longer rest periods (IMO, I would use more rest before less weight).

Give that a shot starting out -- if it's too fast paced then just adjust it accordingly until you can move the weight at least 7 reps for the last several sets. Also, endurance work at high reps might help out with muscle fatigue in the long run, but that's beside the point.

I don't know if you take a Pre-WO supplement but they really help for GVT sessions IMO. Might want to look into that!
cool, thanks man, im probably gonna give this a try in two weeks or so, and yes ill be getting some jack3d/jp8/WF to kick that off nicely. :006:

columbo200

Awards
i think high reps helps build mass. Sometimes 12-15 reps will help build solid mass especially if your an ectomorph. But GVT works well and definetely look into it.