Poll: Do you train on an empty or full stormach?

Do you train with a full or empty stomach?? Does it make a difference?

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  171 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.87%

Do you train with a full or empty stomach?? Does it make a difference?

Do you train on an empty or full stomach? and what ever your choice is does it make a difference on your gains.

2. UKStrength

Quote Originally Posted by Matt6969 View Post
    Do you train on an empty or full stomach? and what ever your choice is does it make a difference on your gains.
    I always eat a full meal prior to training, but I leave at least 3 (sometimes even 4) hours before I lift, there's nothing worse than doing a strenuous workout and feeling like you're going to be sick because half of your lunch is repeating on you...

It's never affected my gains, if anything I've made better gains because I make damn sure my peri and post workout nutrition is spot-on!
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.21%

I never weight train on an empty stomach, but I do cardio on an empty stomach(ive tried both ways and feel this is much more effective). I feel bigger with a better pump if i eat 2-3 times before i weight train. I do think it makes sense though that by just eating breakfast(1 meal), then weight training, you would have better recovery because of more meals post workout(4 or 5). Benefits to both i think, but i recommend to never train with weights on an empty stomach.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  199 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.61%

Like previous posters...

I have to eat something before I train. Usually shredded wheat cereal and protein shake. I do cardio in the morning fasted.

I have always been able to do cardio in the morning no problems fasted...but I can't lift worth anything if I don't have some food in my belly. Something plain and easy to digest like cereal usually.
  5. UKStrength

Quote Originally Posted by drivehard View Post
    I have always been able to do cardio in the morning no problems fasted...but I can't lift worth anything if I don't have some food in my belly. Something plain and easy to digest like cereal usually.
    It's funny that isn't it?

I notice that during my fasted cardio (just brisk walking with the dog for an hour) I'm RAVENOUS before I go out, then about 10 mins into it the hunger is completely blunted and I'm not even that hungry when I get home!

Yet, if I hit the weights fasted (5 hours or more with no food) I'm starving (like cripplingly) all the way through, feeling light-headed and ready to eat the nearest gym instructor by the end!
  6. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.72%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by UKStrength View Post
    ready to eat the nearest gym instructor by the end!
    ......good one.
  7. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.14%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

I eat a full meal about 1.5hrs before I train. Pre-workout shakes slow me down and kill my post-workout appetite.
  8. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.19%

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Cannon View Post
    I eat a full meal about 1.5hrs before I train. Pre-workout shakes slow me down and kill my post-workout appetite.
    Exactly what I do.
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.45%

I eat breakfast (and usually lunch on real busy work days) and then lift. A few minutes before lifting I start sipping on a drink made of 45g whey + 45g simple sugars (gatorade powder usually). I time my sips of that drink so I finish the last quarter right after I finish my last set. Its not the best tasting stuff but it works real good better than milk + whey.
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  262 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.65%
    Achievements Posting Pro

i have what i call my 50-50 (50 carbs 50 grams of protein) shake about 45 minutes before workout. but i workout in the morning so if i don't have the shake i'm running on empty...
  11. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  270 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.82%

I'm another early morning workout guy. A protein shake and a 1/2 cup of brown rice about 45 minutes before I workout and I am good to go.
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  176 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.32%

i find fasted cardio is very effective.

i always work out in the mornings, and normally i only pop a couple EFA's lots of water and some ECY before i go to the gym. I will eat something small, like a bowl of cereal, if its a ME day.
  13. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.82%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

fasted cardio is the best for fatloss(I take a small shake before) right upon awaking

for lifting yeah best if you have a couple meals in you.

although, these are optimal if you have a bunch of appointments that day and cant make it dont worry about it and just get it done whenever you can.
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  14. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.09%

never g2 the gym on an empty stomach, with an empty stomach where are you getting ur energy from? (hint it stars with a M and ends with a E lol) getting energy from the muscles tears the muscle down not giving you good results IMO also with no nutrients in the system ur asking for BAD results, besides who wants to g2 the gym hungry, ur not concentrating on the workout, ur trying to rush and get done so you can go eat.

just eat enough to cure the hunger but not get stuffed unless you want to throw it up :/ which im sure u wont be let back into the gym ever again ahahah
  15. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.79%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

i take a carb/protein shake pre workout - 50g carbs, 25g protein. i take it 15 minutes prior to workout, and notice when i forget to take my shake (if i'm running errands before the gym), my strength drops by roughly 10%.

solid food before working out takes too long to digest though, and can leave me feeling queezy.
  16. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.54%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Generally 60g carbs and 30g protein or something similar 1 hour before I train.
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!
  17. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  275 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.31%

I have some food in my stomach prior to a strenuous workout. If it's an easy day, less food. If I'm just doing cardio and it's the morning, no food.
  18. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.18%

i always have a meal about 1.5 hrs b4 training with 40g carbs and 35 g protein then strait whey 45 before. IMO it makes no sense to take in complex carbs right before training because it doesnt have time to get into your glycogen stores therefore you wont use it in your WKout
  19. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  171 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.87%

i used to train on an empty stomach but hear lately i have been training on a full stomach. but i do agree with much of you on running on an empty stomach.
  20. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  193 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.07%

I cant generally eat whole foods before i workout it seems to take my pump away... but i do take a whey protein drink before (and of course after) i work out... I need to include some more carbs preworkout... "ON" just came out with a product that has carbs and protein in the same shake.. it would be something to look into..
  21. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  197 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.94%

I always used to eat at least something about an hour to 2 hours before my workout, depending on how much I ate. Usually oatmeal and some kind of protein. Lately though, I've been waking up and going straight to the gym, sometimes experimenting with a BCAA supp before, during, and protein and/or carbs right after. I've found that I'm doing okay with either something like NO Shotgun right before, or NO Synthesize during and after(I have a lot of samples to use).
    Especially if you don't have anything but water in the morning, then halfway into your workout you take NO Synthesize, the creatine, arginine and BCAAs noticeably BLOW your muscles up and give you a good pump. I'm only doing this while cutting though..
  22. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.55%

I get up at 6am and am hitting the eliptical or the weights at 6:15. I have heard so many different opinions. I am taking a watered down carb drink when doing cardio and a full strength carb/protein drink before doing weights.
  23. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.65%

Well for me, get up at 4:30am and pounding running or bike riding by 5:30, with just 10 ounces of an ABB energy drink and some ephedra. Now when monday comes around, I will be adding a scoop full of NO-Shotgun before hitting the weights 4 days a week. To me, and because I sort of have OCD, I perform my cardio better knowing that I am burning nothing but stored fat and glycogen. It maybe a little extreme to some people, but that is just me and my mind set.
  24. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  262 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.65%
    Achievements Posting Pro

how do you pound away on a bike with abb and ephedra?

on ephedra alone all i can do is jog...i'm too jittery for anything intense...
  25. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  117 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.37%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Matt6969 View Post
    I train first thing in the morning, cardio, then resistance training, all on an empty stomach. I actually find that my strenth, etc. is better this way. Makes no difference to hypertrophy gains (my post-training nutrition is right, and that's the most important (next to diet) thing).

I DO sometimes do my resistance training (and if a second cardio session) later in the day (not often, but sometimes), but I like to leave at least 2-3 hours after a meal before I do that.
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  26. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.51%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

I train on a stomach containing slow burning carbohydrates such as oatmeal. I usually mix my oatmeal, whey, and milk in a blender and drink pre workout. That way I can push through my sets with the added energy from the carbs and the whey+milk is keeping my body somewhat anabolic.
  27. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.65%

Well, I have a high tolerance to stims, meds, just pills in general lol. What I do is buy 4-5 bottles of ABB speed shots and mix them with about 3 scoop fulls of BCAA in a gallon jug. After that I just measure out 10-15 ounces and take about 50mg of Primatene before a run or bike ride. Granted, I am a runner who runs long distance and has chronic mucous build-up, it does help to allow me to breath better.
  28. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  88 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.66%

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Cannon View Post
    Pre-workout shakes slow me down and kill my post-workout appetite.
    Why do pre wo shakes slow you down? Or do you mean with regards to killing the appetite?
  29. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  171 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.87%
  30. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.79%

If I'm cutting an emtpy stomach, if bulking a full stomach.
  31. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.58%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by GymRat7197 View Post
    If I'm cutting an emtpy stomach, if bulking a full stomach.
    for some reason ive had my best workouts when i dont eat 3-4 hrs b4 bed and slam down a weight gainer b4 bed and wake up take pre workout and and lift.. ive broke many personal records that way.

DL-390
    Bench-250
    Floor Pressed- 265

all on different days when i did these some being a while ago but idk empty stomach training is amazing but the thing is i end up not eating alot at all the rest of the day.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Full Workout in the Morning on an Empty Stomach
    By Theipodpeople in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-25-2009, 08:33 AM
  2. Take on an empty stomach
    By Pleonastic in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-12-2009, 10:13 AM
  3. What sups do you take on an empty or full stomach
    By krogtaar in forum Supplements
    Replies: 1