PLEASE give me ur input randomly thought of this idea for bench press

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
ok so i was going over what routine to use for bench press. and most routines go something like this

(weeks)
1. 3 x 10
2. 3 x 10
3. 3 x 8
4. 3 x 8
5. 3 x 5
6. 3 x 5
7. 2 x 2
8. 2 x 2
9. 1 x 2
10. 1 x 1

well i was doing 3 x 8 and then got tired of it and quickly went to doing max singles, and its working so far gone up 10 pounds ( to 260) no signs of over training but i know it will come soon if i keep this up. what if i just reversed this routine and went up

week 1 (270 x 1)
weeks 2,3,4
try to hit 235-250 for 2 x 2
weeks 4,5,6
225-250 3 x 5
7,8,9,10 3 x 8-10

and try to beat my old 8-10 rep max?

idk im tired and randomly thought of this is this too crazy, would it be over training? or what...

pretty much want to reverse the traditional going from high reps low weight to low reps high weight..

i wanna go from high weight low reps and work up too high reps and low weight.

TURUGBY

Awards
  • Established
Dont like it. Try this.
Bench press (form is vital)
10,8,6,6,4 (pyramid up weight)
ex: 225,245,265,285,300

form: grip the bar wide enough to place emphasis on pecs. Squeeze shoulderblades together tightly for a strong contact with bench, this will also alleviate shoulder stress. Feet planted firmly and flat on ground.

Incline Bench
8,8,6,6 (pyramid up weight)
ex:185,205,225,225
form:squeeze shoulder blades, come down to chest, press

Incline DB Pec fly
Form: slight bend to arms, go down until triceps slightly below parallel to ground, flex at top of the motion for a 1 sec pause

Pec Dec

Cable crossover
form: slight bend to arms, go ALL THE WAY UP (just before weight touches) to stretch the muscle, bring down and in front until hands just touch pause and squeeze 1 sec

do this routine, works great, use it for myself and a few clients. All great results so far, good luck focus on form

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
Dont like it. Try this.
Bench press (form is vital)
10,8,6,6,4 (pyramid up weight)
ex: 225,245,265,285,300

form: grip the bar wide enough to place emphasis on pecs. Squeeze shoulderblades together tightly for a strong contact with bench, this will also alleviate shoulder stress. Feet planted firmly and flat on ground.

Incline Bench
8,8,6,6 (pyramid up weight)
ex:185,205,225,225
form:squeeze shoulder blades, come down to chest, press

Incline DB Pec fly
Form: slight bend to arms, go down until triceps slightly below parallel to ground, flex at top of the motion for a 1 sec pause

Pec Dec

Cable crossover
form: slight bend to arms, go ALL THE WAY UP (just before weight touches) to stretch the muscle, bring down and in front until hands just touch pause and squeeze 1 sec

do this routine, works great, use it for myself and a few clients. All great results so far, good luck focus on form
Training the chest can be tricky. For someone like me, this routine would be overkill, but I'm sure it works great for you. There's a LOT of trail and error in finding what works best for the individual. Here's what I've been doing:

(Warm up on bench press with whatever warm up routine works best for you)
Bench Press 5 x 10, 8, 6, 6, 8
Bench Press to Neck (clavicle) 2 x 8, 6-8
Incline DB Press 3 x 8 superset with DB Pullovers 3 x 12, 10, 8
Chest dips 1 x to positive failure (2 second negs, last rep hold stretch for 15 seconds; be cautious though)
* Sometimes the reps may vary
** Be extra careful when doing bench presses to the clavicle!
*** Stretch a lot after your chest workout is complete

This routine is just enough for me; any more would be overdoing it. If you're seeing progress on a consistent basis, by all means keep doing what you're doing. If you find yourself stuck or even regressing, you're probably overdoing it. My advice would be to keep trying different things until you figure out what works and what doesn't.

Good luck, buddy

TURUGBY

Awards
  • Established
It works great for me, i only train chest once per week. Your routine looks good but why the press to the neck? Why not just incline, pressing the bar to the neck doesn't sound safe and seems like it would put to much strain on the collar bone? BTW you are doing 5 exercises in your routine, as am I.

blackcj7

blackcj7

Awards
Its a guillotine press:

The Guillotine Press is the same as a barbell bench except the bar is lowered to your neck. This causes the sternal head of the pectoralis major to be recruited strongly, whilst minimizing secondary muscle involvement.

Should be done with light weight, I sometimes use it as a warmup or at the end of my routine.

CJPopovich

Awards
  • Established
Its a guillotine press:

The Guillotine Press is the same as a barbell bench except the bar is lowered to your neck. This causes the sternal head of the pectoralis major to be recruited strongly, whilst minimizing secondary muscle involvement.

Should be done with light weight, I sometimes use it as a warmup or at the end of my routine.
I would never recommend doing this movement. It's so hard on the shoulders it's laughable. Some may be able to get away with it but most people have a hard time learning to bench right without injury. I consider it unnecessary. You may get something out of it, but I think most would just get an injury.

CJPopovich

Awards
  • Established
ok so i was going over what routine to use for bench press. and most routines go something like this

(weeks)
1. 3 x 10
2. 3 x 10
3. 3 x 8
4. 3 x 8
5. 3 x 5
6. 3 x 5
7. 2 x 2
8. 2 x 2
9. 1 x 2
10. 1 x 1

well i was doing 3 x 8 and then got tired of it and quickly went to doing max singles, and its working so far gone up 10 pounds ( to 260) no signs of over training but i know it will come soon if i keep this up. what if i just reversed this routine and went up

week 1 (270 x 1)
weeks 2,3,4
try to hit 235-250 for 2 x 2
weeks 4,5,6
225-250 3 x 5
7,8,9,10 3 x 8-10

and try to beat my old 8-10 rep max?

idk im tired and randomly thought of this is this too crazy, would it be over training? or what...

pretty much want to reverse the traditional going from high reps low weight to low reps high weight..

i wanna go from high weight low reps and work up too high reps and low weight.
Well, just to start I don't like the program. The weeks of doubles are a huge drop in volume from your earlier weeks. It's easy to come up with a "program" that makes sense from a tapering point of view, but look at what you're doing to your overall volume. If you're not a competitive powerlifter, the weeks where you do a couple doubles are not going to get you anywhere. If you are a competitive powerlifter you could choose a better program.

That being said your idea about reversing the typical pyramid is interesting. I think it could be employed by people who have lower work capacity as an instrument to be able to handle a higher work load. I don't want to say out of shape, but I guess you could use that description.

If you're dropping weight, you need to be increasing reps and keeping an eye on your volume to make sure it's increasing appropriately.

I guess you could do a reverse tapering wave, where the first week you increase reps the weight is "easy" to meet the required reps, and you add more weight the following week to make it more challenging.

It's a different idea. Try it and see how it works.

blackcj7

blackcj7

Awards
I would never recommend doing this movement. It's so hard on the shoulders it's laughable. Some may be able to get away with it but most people have a hard time learning to bench right without injury. I consider it unnecessary. You may get something out of it, but I think most would just get an injury.
I agree somewhat, it is very hard on the shoulders and would never be something I included regularly in my routine. I usually do this about once every 2-3 months with light weight, heavy weight will cause injury

MrBigPR

MrBigPR

NutraPlanet Rep
Awards
  • Established
I dont think the OP is trying to size, i think he is trying to get higher in his max.

To the OP, you can try High weight low reps and up from there and on the last trying to max.

Eg. 350 x 4, 325 x 6, 275 x 8, 250 x 12.

Thats usually what i do, and at the last ill try to go 385 or 400. Havent done maxing in a while because im not too interested in setting PR's any higher yet.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
yea should clairfied that im just trying to raise my benching my problem tho is u tell me to rep 225 x 5 prolly cant hell prolly could only hit 3 but i can max 260. However if i go to light say 185-205 i can hit decent amount of reps.. Like most ppl if they max around what i do can usually hit 240 x 2 or 3 something like that. So im thinking if i go from a ORM every workout to 230 2 sets of 2 then 235 then 240 then go down to 225 again and go for 3 x 3 etc..

not sure bout the weights but i wanna try this out guess i will and let u guys kno how it goes. and im lucky enough that i can do powerlifting routine and keep looking pretty lean although lately im getting kinda pudgy but i have done zero cardio because im trying to get as strong as possible and then get shredded up a month or so b4 going back home from schoo.

MrBigPR

MrBigPR

NutraPlanet Rep
Awards
  • Established
You can stay lean, its all about your diet. Pick weights that you can lift enough for 4 reps, but no more than 4. Then do that for the rest of the reps. Trust me, you will get strong.