skullcrusher question help?

tirtle88

tirtle88

Awards
for people with longer limbs would it be better for me to go right on my forehead. or go a little further past my head?

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Its more about what is more comfortable to you.

Form is key.

I usually bring my elbows back to a point were I feel a nice stretch in the tri's during the eccentric portion of the rep.

TheRoman

Awards
yeah i used to go just to the forehead but then i started doing them like lonewolf said and my tris blew up...i think going to the forehead puts to much pressure or the elbow joints

CJPopovich

Awards
  • Established
Do them all, cycle through them to see which you like better. I have done them from touching the bar on my chin, to the nose, forehead, and up past the head. I think I get the most strength from touching the chin area. Never noticed any difference in size from the different angles, but use them all from time to time just to keep it fresh.

mankussm

mankussm

Awards
Its more about what is more comfortable to you.

Form is key.

I usually bring my elbows back to a point were I feel a nice stretch in the tri's during the eccentric portion of the rep.
What he said, form & contractions is key!

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
Here's a few tips for making skullcrushers most effective:

1.) Lay flat on a bench with your head just off the end. You can have your feet flat on the floor or bent and feet on the bench; it's a matter of preference.

2.) Find the most comfortable hand placement on a curl bar. 8-10 inches is probably best for most people, or in other words, the inside grip (that's what I always called it).

3.) When you press the weight up, keep your arms locked out, but not directly over your head. Instead, keep your arms at about a 45 degree angle (back behind the top of the head) at the peak of the movement. This keeps the triceps contracting, having to fight the resistance of gravity versus the elbows taking most of the stress if you're locking out completely perpendicular to the ground. If the 45 degree angle just feels too uncomfortable for some reason, play around with it. But remember that if you lock out completely vertical, your triceps will be able to rest as your elbows take over. The key is to get a full extension while keeping the triceps fighting the resistance of gravity the whole time. This makes the lift harder, but that's what you want!

4.) Although some movement of the elbows is inevitable, keep them as stationary as possible as you lower the weight back behind the top of the head, getting a full stretch. Bring the weight only down to your forehead limits range of motion. Press the weight back up to the starting position, keeping the stress on the triceps the whole time by not locking out vertical. Think about what the triceps are doing throughout every rep during the entire set.

5.) Keep your elbows tucked in, rather than flaring them out.

6.) Try doing skullcrushers on a decline bench to mix things up.

7.) There is a potential superset built right into skullcrushers: close-grip bench presses.

kmoore

Awards
I always read/been told to lower the weight down to your fore-head (or your skull) and then while keeping your elbows in, lower the weight up and down. This is why they are called skullcrushers.

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
I always read/been told to lower the weight down to your fore-head (or your skull) and then while keeping your elbows in, lower the weight up and down. This is why they are called skullcrushers.
I mean, you can lower the weight to your forehead, but it limits the range of motion. When I train triceps I always go for maximum stretches and quality contractions.

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
I like to do them as Arnold described...

When your arms are locked out, the weight should be about over your eyes. This puts an angle at your shoulders, towards your head. Keep your elbows locked in position, and lower the weight by bending at your elbows only. Go deep...down below your head. When I do them, the bar usually touches the bench right behind my head. Squeeze your tri's and raise the weight back up to being in front of your eyes. Keeping the angle at your shoulders. This angle keep tension in your tri's and allows a deeper range of motion.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
I like to do them as Arnold described...

When your arms are locked out, the weight should be about over your eyes. This puts an angle at your shoulders, towards your head. Keep your elbows locked in position, and lower the weight by bending at your elbows only. Go deep...down below your head. When I do them, the bar usually touches the bench right behind my head. Squeeze your tri's and raise the weight back up to being in front of your eyes. Keeping the angle at your shoulders. This angle keep tension in your tri's and allows a deeper range of motion.
repped! I get a better stretch by going behind the head near the top of the skull. Sometimes ill mix it up, do skullcrushers on an incline bench instead, which also gives me a great pump.

biggerthantex

biggerthantex

Awards
I too have long arm... and i go over the top of my head but i switch it up between reg., incline, and decline..

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
I too have long arm... and i go over the top of my head but i switch it up between reg., incline, and decline..
LOL yea it sux having long arms sometimes, but hey, got work with whacha got, right?