Advantages/Disadvantages of really high reps (i.e) 20+

1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.

Advantages/Disadvantages of really high reps (i.e) 20+

Let me start of saying i know if i can do 20 reps at a weight i need to up it but there is a machine where it doesnt go any higher (calves) is there any advantages/disadvantages of high reps like 20+ if you can physically do it i think its fine but im not an expert im just trying to figure out if i should just not do this excerise but its one if not the only calve exercise there.

If you have any tips on best way to benefit from this exercise because i would like my calves too grow.

This thread can also be for other exercises what are the advantages/disadvantages of higher reps would it be more toning? or mass.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  174 lbs.

high reps are important for calves because they are such a hard muscle to grow, there are alot of calve machines out there that can suit your needs, the high reps and high weight are needed to force the muscles to tear and in turn become bigger
  3. Lift Heavy
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'2"  241 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpshot903 View Post
    Let me start of saying i know if i can do 20 reps at a weight i need to up it but there is a machine where it doesnt go any higher (calves) is there any advantages/disadvantages of high reps like 20+ if you can physically do it i think its fine but im not an expert im just trying to figure out if i should just not do this excerise but its one if not the only calve exercise there.

If you have any tips on best way to benefit from this exercise because i would like my calves too grow.

This thread can also be for other exercises what are the advantages/disadvantages of higher reps would it be more toning? or mass.
    This is not true at all. People are so stuck in that way of thinking though. I throw in 20+ rep sets all the time with any muscle group. Any experienced lifter will tell you the same thing too, you will get so much out of throwing things like this in form time to time. I personally believe its one of the ONLY ways to get legs to respond and grow really well. One of the reasons Legs/Calves respond so well to high reps is because they are so far away from the heart and it takes a lot of reps to get the blood to swell really good in those muscles.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  275 lbs.

I like doing high rep sets on body parts that are small muscle groups, upper back stuff, and also any body part that I need to get some more volume in but don't want to beat it up too bad. The high reps give you a good pump, let you get some work done, and don't seem to bother tendonitis/etc. I think they have a place.

Similar Forum Threads

1. High Reps to Hugeness
    By EctoMeso in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-28-2010, 04:50 AM
  2. high reps?
    By shugrblossm in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-27-2010, 04:19 PM
  3. M1T During high reps
    By Rebel in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 9