CANT GET Biceps SORE

potobori

Awards
Hey guys,,, ive been working out for bout 3 years pretty dedicated i think ,,, i do all the form perfect or at least try with every exercise ;; ive noticed everything gets sore except my biceps and shoulders and shot are the smallest things on me ,,,, my triceps are huge and so is m chest and back ;;; ive changed my workout like 100 times and nothing is working ive even done negatives till faluire ,, so now im asking for your advice ,, thanks :)

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
Use different rep ranges. For instance, if you're doing barbell curls, load on the weight and shoot for 6 reps or so, to positive failure. I'm talking about 6 quality reps of the most weight you can use while keeping the best possible form. Start with the barbell (or curl bar) fully extended in front of you, then, in a wide arch, curl the weight up to shoulder level, but don't throw it back towards your shoulders to rest; instead, squeeze the biceps at the top for a second or so. This prevents the muscles from resting, which takes tension off the muscles, which is something you want to avoid when doing curls. Lower the weight back to the starting position through the same wide arch, slowly (2-3 seconds). Pick a weight where you can only do around 6 reps. Every one in a while I'll do a couple reps of cheat curls at the end of a set of heavy barbell curls; when I can't get any more strict reps, I'll use just enough momentum to curl the bar upwards, still contracting the biceps at the top, and still lowering the weight 2-3 seconds. Though your biceps won't be strong enough to curl the weight in a strict manor, you're still making them work as hard as possible. I don't do this every time though. Anymore I usually only do a couple sets of each type of biceps exercise.

Now pick another biceps exercise. I recommend choosing from the following: incline DB curls, cable curls, preacher curls, alternating DB curls, ect.. Do a couple sets of these, but do them in a higher rep range, such as 8-10. Still, focus on complete range of motion, squeezing the biceps at the top, and lowering slowly (2-3 seconds). I prefer incline DB curls, starting with the dumbbells hanging by my sides, palms facing each other, and supinating (turning the wrist to where the palms face up, as if you're holding out a cup of soup) the wrist as I curl the dumbbells upward. At the top of the movement, supinate your wrists so that you're trying to get your pinky fingers higher than your thumbs (you may not actually be able to get your pinky fingers higher than your thumbs, but the point is to supinate the wrist as much as possible; the function of the biceps are to curl the arm and to aid in supinating the wrists). A couple sets of this or another biceps exercise at 8-10, full, quality reps, should be sufficient.

If you want, finish with a set of chins with slow negatives. I usually just do one set of chins. Or you could even do chins right after the heavy barbell curls and finish with a set of your choice of biceps exercises. I don't recommend any more than 5-6 TOTAL sets for biceps. The biceps are a small muscle that get a lot of work when you're doing back movements, so they don't need a lot of specific work for overload. I do think some biceps specific work is necessary, but not a lot. Trail and error my friend and find your sweet spot, but trust me, too little is better than too much.

So the keys to biceps specific training are full range of motion, curling the weight through a wide arch, contracting the biceps at the top of the lift and lowering the weight slowly to the starting point. That pretty much holds true for any biceps exercise. Another tip: don't concentrate on how much weight your lifting; instead, focus on what the muscles are doing. The weights are a means to the end and your focus should be training the muscle, not just lifting the weight. A lot of people only focus on lifting the weight, period, no matter what the form and they're usually the same people with unimpressive physiques. If you're still not a little sore the next day, don't worry about it too much; soreness is not a good indicator of muscle overload just by itself. I guarantee if your diet is good and you're training methods are sound, you will see results, even if you're not super sore all the time.

Also, I like flexing the biceps right after a set. This pumps more blood into the muscle, which provides added benefits: prevents the muscles from losing the pump prematurely, therefore I can continue to escalate the intensity with each subsequent set. Also, after your completely done with your biceps specific work, stretch them out.

Happy training!

Sinon

Sinon

Awards
Concentration curl negatives. Use both hands to lift a dumbbell about 10 to 15 pounds more than you normally lift, and use one arm to do the slow controlled negative.

Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.7; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
shock them into growing.

giant set :
weighted chins
barbell curls or preachers
pinwheel curls (forearm/branch)
hammer curls
1 minute break, repeat set.

potobori

Awards
i do preacher the close grip then hammers then bumbell then reverse curls

swangswang

Awards
  • Established
I used to think heavy weight would make my biceps grow but have realized perfect form with adequate weight (I never use more than 35llb dbs) has def. done the trick for me.

Also, if you are over training them they wont get sore. If you work them out alot give them a long break. then you will def. feel some soreness.

potobori

Awards
i usualually start wit preachr then close grip preacher then hammers th iso curls then reverse curls

potobori

Awards
man i used ot do 120 lb on preacher for 8 -10 ? so like i dont think tht will help much

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
Weights are the means to an end... Think of it in terms of training the muscles rather than lifting weights. Heavy weight leads to more overload but the movements have to be quality. During every exercise I'm always focusing on what my muscles are doing rather than the weight itself.

Make sense?

MPFit

MPFit

Awards
  • Established
Bro 21's with right weight will give you an all day pump and should shock your muscles if you've never done em.. has nothing to do with the weight your already pushing.. try em.. also try spider curls (put your chest on the "preacher" side of the preacher bench.. ie. opposite of preacher curls b/c your leaning off the vertical end.. super isolation- no allowance for cheating.

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)

learn

learn

Awards
  • Established
this works wonders

Start with DB curls 3 sets of 12
move to
heavy str8 bar curls 3 sets of 12
move to
cable curls ( from bottom)
drop sets ex.
100 lbs as many as you can do till failure
50 lb as many as you can do till failure
25 lbs as many as you can till failure
do no rest in between sets
take a serving of a NO supplement of choice 30 min prior to WO somthing like Axis Labs Smash fully loaded

I can tell you your arms will be sore

dont do no light a$$ $h!t either push your self

that is half of an arm workout that I have That works

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
Most people overtrain their arms. You do not need to do 30 different exersises and 20 diff sets. Like has been said quality, not quantity. If you are putting forth maximum effort on all other compound lifts, then you dont need as much on "arm day". Biceps are a small muscle and growth ids slower, over time. The best way for soreness i have read here so far is slow TUT barbell curls, and the giant set, tho i would only do that a couple of times. It is all about mind-muscle connection with bis imho.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
Most people overtrain their arms. You do not need to do 30 different exersises and 20 diff sets.
very true. i see people taking almost an entire hour doing bicep's. WTF? 2 or 3 exercises 3 to 4 sets per exercise. also, for me, the best way i get my bi's to respond is doing only one thing, the exact opposite of what i've been doing. if i'm not doing drop sets then i do them. if i'm waiting 2 to 3 minutes between sets then i lower it to 1 minute. remeber something, your body is smart and will stop growing once it becomes accustomed to your w/o. you need to keep it guessing......

jumpcannon

jumpcannon

Awards
i like doing my 21's on the preacher bench using the cable and the straight lat bar that rotates. this way you get max resistance at the top and a killer burn. just did em this morning as a matter of fact.

tirtle88

tirtle88

Awards
make sure you get your hands cocked back so you can feel the burn in your biceps better.

UGHQTempus

UGHQTempus

Awards
  • Established
I know everyone has their pet shock method: Mine is pretty simple.

I grab a single 20 lb DB. Do 10 hammer curls with one arm. Switch arms. Do 10. Rinse and Repeat. Stop when you can only do 5 in the set. Usually takes me ~ 15-20 sets per arm to get there. Its no rest so even the 20s burn you out pretty quickly. Sore and huge pump. Usually takes less than 10 min.

Just make sure you use strict form. Make the concentric and eccentric take at least 1.5 sec each. Aim for 2+ sec on each.

Tone

Tone

Awards
  • Established
I know everyone has their pet shock method: Mine is pretty simple.

I grab a single 20 lb DB. Do 10 hammer curls with one arm. Switch arms. Do 10. Rinse and Repeat. Stop when you can only do 5 in the set. Usually takes me ~ 15-20 sets per arm to get there. Its no rest so even the 20s burn you out pretty quickly. Sore and huge pump. Usually takes less than 10 min.

Just make sure you use strict form. Make the concentric and eccentric take at least 1.5 sec each. Aim for 2+ sec on each.
That sounds good, im doing back and bi's later today Im going to try that out! thanks brother

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
That sounds good, im doing back and bi's later today Im going to try that out! thanks brother
i like that idea too......to bad i did bi's this morning before reading this. next week though.

bmw8591

Awards
  • Established
underhand pullups until fail. Do a couple sets of those to finish a w/o and you'll be good and burned out. I can always tell when I had a good w/o cause I'll be showering and trying to wash my hair but I can't cause I keep getting painful cramps in my biceps. It's awesome :)

Tone

Tone

Awards
  • Established
I did some straight bar curls 3 sets of 10 then hit the Hammers like UGHQ said only I used 15's... I got to about 6 sets with each arm and I was out.... After my workout I checked my arms in the mirror, probably the best pump i've had in awhile. definitely a thumbs up!!!

Great Advice

potobori

Awards
lol im 18 actually ,,, and it was o nthe preacher curl ? so its not like 1 hand or anything

samadhismiles

Awards
Weighted chins and eat more. Your arms will get bigger. Soreness has nothing to do with growth.

Tone

Tone

Awards
  • Established
Weighted chins and eat more. Your arms will get bigger. Soreness has nothing to do with growth.
Yeah but nothing feels better than waking up the next day sore as hell cause you know you beat the **** out of your muscles!!!!!

UKStrength

I find it really difficult to get my biceps sore, but doing seated, incline dumbell curls, GVT style REALLY makes them sore the next day!

I think the key is mixing it up all the time, go heavy one day, light the next, supersets, drop sets, 21s, whatever it takes to build those cannons!

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I dont get sore anymore, but I am seeing growth. Then again I could give some of the credit to xtend for helping, but I had a nice lil tricep pump going yesterday....no soreness at all :\

UKStrength

I dont get sore anymore, but I am seeing growth. Then again I could give some of the credit to xtend for helping, but I had a nice lil tricep pump going yesterday....no soreness at all :\
I've got to give the BCAAs a try one of these days. The best I've managed is watering-down my whey! :D being a student REALLY sucks!

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I've got to give the BCAAs a try one of these days. The best I've managed is watering-down my whey! :D being a student REALLY sucks!
why have you not tried em yet! I mix em in a water bottle. Sip abut 1/10th of the water, make a funnel, put in 2 scoops of xtend, and I now have a bottle that looks like my own urine, but actually keeps me going properly lol. I do mss doms though. I remember when I was on ZMK/Somnidren GH from MST for a stack, Oh jeeze DOMs was IMPOSSIBLE to get. And sleep, ah, amazing.

Also Xtend comes with about 90 servings for a great price. I still have my tub from last year, I mainly only use on WO days, and then I dont even always use it.

UKStrength

...I now have a bottle that looks like my own urine, but actually keeps me going properly lol.
Reminds me of a quote from a certain film...good old Patches O'Houlihan :)

Peter La Fleur: [after Patches hits Justin in the face with a wrench] Yeah, uh, Patches... are you sure that this is completely necessary?
Patches O'Houlihan: Necessary? Is it necessary for me to drink my own urine?
Peter La Fleur: Probably not.
Patches O'Houlihan: No, but I do it anyway because it's sterile and I like the taste.
Peter La Fleur: ...Okay.

Ok...I'll buy some Xtend ;)

Tone

Tone

Awards
  • Established

Peter La Fleur: [after Patches hits Justin in the face with a wrench] Yeah, uh, Patches... are you sure that this is completely necessary?
Patches O'Houlihan: No, but I do it anyway because it's sterile and I like the taste.

hahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahaahahahaahahahahahahahahahaha
I just watched that movie last night by the way
hahahahahahaahahahahaahahahahahaahahahaahahahahah

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established

haha! I love that movie!

MikeMagz1013

Awards
Change up reps, routine order, exercises..throw a couple burnouts in there and see what happens.

WilteredFire

WilteredFire

Awards
  • Established
Used to be bit like you, I couldn't seem to get my biceps as Sore as i used to...Now i do Standing Barbell curls...Lean up against the wall so you cant swing your back into it, helps keep good form, lower your weight slightly if you have to, who gives a toss if you have to lift slightly less but get proper growth?

2nd Exercise i do 3 sets of Seated concentration curls, and 3rd i finish off with 3 sets of preacher curls.

Always gets my biceps nice and sore not to mention im growing nicely from it. All the best buddy :)