Mass/Size and Strength Routine

True74Seneca

Hey Guys, Ive searched but my search function must be screwed up because it always says there is no available results....no matter what i search it does that. But anyways i was hoping some of you could help me.

Im 16, 6 ft 1 230 pounds and i play football, I play all the OL and DL positions. Im looking for a good routine/program that will help me get bigger and stronger. Every workout im going to add in Plyos for a warm up and some stretching at the end of the workout. From Now (April) to the end of may im working on just getting bigger faster stronger and more in shape and in June and July im working on Explosivness.

Any help here would be deeply appreciated.

I forgot to add that I have been lifting seriously for about a year or so. My max bench is 225, Squat is 350, Clean is 210, Push Press is 195, and Hex Bar DL is 440.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
try the 5/3/1 in the powerlifting form. maybe try max singles 80-90% near ur max then do drop sets after that.?

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
mass/size/ and strength? DC training IMO, though its not something i'd recommend for a beginner - you have to know how to push yourself to get anything from DC.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
Dc is like 10 x 10 on bench how would that get u strong?? i dont get it seems like u would get massive and great endurance? not being a di"K but just wondering how that would give u strength gains..

but i tired doing the 85-90% 5-8 sets of 1-3 reps on my max lifts for t bar rows, bench press,squats deadlifts and i saw good mass gains.. i mean i have yet to see a scrawny powerlifter lol

True74Seneca

How is this??

Day 1-
Squats 5x5
Military Press5x5
Power Clean5x3
Shrugs 10,8,6

Day 2-
Bench5x5
Weighted Pullups 5x5
DB Bench 12, 10, 8
BB Rows 5x5

Day 3-
Front Squat 5x5
Snatch 5x3
Hypers 3x10
DB Shoulder Press 12, 10 8
Power Shrugs 5x5

I wanna throw in some deads because im a lineman...should i do those day 1?

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
Dc is like 10 x 10 on bench how would that get u strong?? i dont get it seems like u would get massive and great endurance? not being a di"K but just wondering how that would give u strength gains..

but i tired doing the 85-90% 5-8 sets of 1-3 reps on my max lifts for t bar rows, bench press,squats deadlifts and i saw good mass gains.. i mean i have yet to see a scrawny powerlifter lol
That is not DC. There is no 10x10. It is one exersise per body part, witha two-three day split, 2-5 warmups per bp, then 1 working set, prefferably done rest/pause, with progressive weights. Its based on a size=strength, so it actually is great for what he wants to do.

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
Look up "dual factor training" by Matt Reynolds. When your done reading it shoot me a pm if you have any questions. I have not done it in years, but it is a good template as any for whay you are looking for.

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
Look up "dual factor training" by Matt Reynolds. When your done reading it shoot me a pm if you have any questions. I have not done it in years, but it is a good template as any for whay you are looking for.
Hmmmm, i might check that out.

Tone

Tone

Awards
  • Established
If you are a football player and want to get bigger/faster/stronger My top exercises would be: You can add variations of all of these if things get boring but here are just simple exercises to follow:

Squats
Deadlift
Power Clean
Bench Press
Rows
Pull Ups

Also you will want to do some stuff with your Grip, Neck, and Shoulders but they are not as important as the above listed exercises - You can add in other exercises obviously for legs and upper body.

I know you didn't say faster, BUT if you are a lineman you are going to want to work on your footwork as well, so do some dot drills or just work with your coaches for some footwork drills! This is just my opinion... Good Luck Brother

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
Hmmmm, i might check that out.
deadlifter, it is a good read even if you don't choose to do it. I know he has updated it quite a bit so i would make sure you have a newer article. I did it for some time when he first wrote it. If i ever decide to stop competing i would probably go back to something similar as i never liked bodypart splits.

True74Seneca

Well i revised my program a little bit through some suggestions.

Warm Up- Dynamic Warmup
Cool Down- Stretching

Day 1
Squats 5x5
Power Clean 5x3
Military Press 5x5
Shrugs 10, 8. 6

Day 2
Upper Body Plyos

Day 3
Box Squat 5x5
Bench 5x5
Pullups 5x5
DB Bench 12, 10, 8
Barbell Rows 5x5

Day 4
Lower Body Plyos

Day 5
Front Squats 5x5
Deads 5x5 or 3x3 (Any help on this?)
Hypers 3x10
DB Shoulder Press 12, 10, 8
Power Shrugs 5x5

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
looks nice, you can probably get away with 3x5 on deads. I would do box squats after regular squats but that is me. Also with the kind of volume and the exercises you are using stay away from going to failure, you will not need it.

Jjaden

Awards
If you are a football player and want to get bigger/faster/stronger My top exercises would be: You can add variations of all of these if things get boring but here are just simple exercises to follow:

Squats
Deadlift
Power Clean
Bench Press
Rows
Pull Ups
I agree with those exercises. If you google bill star 5x5 you can get an excel spreadsheet so it'll take the guess work out of what weights you should be using.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
That is not DC. There is no 10x10. It is one exersise per body part, witha two-three day split, 2-5 warmups per bp, then 1 working set, prefferably done rest/pause, with progressive weights. Its based on a size=strength, so it actually is great for what he wants to do.

So say i can rep 185 like 6 times in a row i would rep it rack rep it rack and go till i got 10? or something like that??

because if i were just to try to beat my ten rep max each workout that would seem like it wouldnt work that good?

rest pause means like rack it then rep reck like that or like pause on the chest or w.e and go for 10 straight reps?

chess315

chess315

Awards
bill star or madcow 5x5 dc is really not for sports after doing 6 weeks of the star/madcow 5x5 I benched 225 17 times search madcow 5x5 its the same as the star routine with modern nutrition and explaind in better detail it looks kind of sorry but it has made monsters madcows nutrition is excellent the best anywhere also he gives a laymans explanation of perodisation even if you dont do it read it. the bill star bok is called the strong shall survive and many nfl players live off it or varations of the workout hes the father of modern athletic training, I guarntee you eat 300grams of protien and do it correctly that 230 wont be ****. the worlds strongest man mariuz does a varation of it for part of the year.

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
So say i can rep 185 like 6 times in a row i would rep it rack rep it rack and go till i got 10? or something like that??

because if i were just to try to beat my ten rep max each workout that would seem like it wouldnt work that good?

rest pause means like rack it then rep reck like that or like pause on the chest or w.e and go for 10 straight reps?
Something like that. You wouldnt rep a weight that it would be easy to do. For instance this is my chest exercise on monday
Incline bb bench
135x10
185x10
205x8
205x4
225x6x4x2 this set is rest pause. I could not rep 225 for 12 straight reps, but i can rest pause it. Its very intense. on the next chest day, which is friday for me, iwould do the same thing but with flat bench. My next chest day would be wedn, and i do same thing but with DB presses on the ball. Google DC training, (doggcrapp training). Its really tough routine, open to customization.

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
bill star or madcow 5x5 dc is really not for sports after doing 6 weeks of the star/madcow 5x5 I benched 225 17 times search madcow 5x5 its the same as the star routine with modern nutrition and explaind in better detail it looks kind of sorry but it has made monsters madcows nutrition is excellent the best anywhere also he gives a laymans explanation of perodisation even if you dont do it read it. the bill star bok is called the strong shall survive and many nfl players live off it or varations of the workout hes the father of modern athletic training, I guarntee you eat 300grams of protien and do it correctly that 230 wont be ****. the worlds strongest man mariuz does a varation of it for part of the year.
Does Madcow post anymore anywhere. He had alot to do with my training philosophy. He is a really good dude as well.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
Something like that. You wouldnt rep a weight that it would be easy to do. For instance this is my chest exercise on monday
Incline bb bench
135x10
185x10
205x8
205x4
225x6x4x2 this set is rest pause. I could not rep 225 for 12 straight reps, but i can rest pause it. Its very intense. on the next chest day, which is friday for me, iwould do the same thing but with flat bench. My next chest day would be wedn, and i do same thing but with DB presses on the ball. Google DC training, (doggcrapp training). Its really tough routine, open to customization.

ahh ok i get it now bro, i was thinking at first u meant just trying to beat a 10 rep max every week lol and i was like thats just dumb but now i get it hah, i might give it a try here soon.

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
ahh ok i get it now bro, i was thinking at first u meant just trying to beat a 10 rep max every week lol and i was like thats just dumb but now i get it hah, i might give it a try here soon.
Look into it, you may find it appeals to you. Be forewarned however, it is also nausiating.:wave2:

chess315

chess315

Awards
madcow does need to post no more he told us everything you need. I always wondered what he looked like.