Bigger Bis!

1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  198 lbs.
    Answers

Bigger Bis!

Ever since i started working out my triceps have developed far more than my bis. I think it might be because i do one arm workout a week, and bench once a week. but any advice for a good bi workout?... right no im doing the following:
    barbell curl, 3 sets, 5-8 reps
    one arm preacher, 3 sets, 6-9 reps
    inclined dumbell curl, 3 sets,6-7 reps
    hammer curls (standing dumbell), 3 sets, 6-8 reps

I've only done this particular workout 3 times now... maybe its ok and i should keep at it?... what do you think

2. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Answers

Post a pic.. Lets see if they are really out of proportionate to the rest of your build, or if they are proportionate and you NEED MORE MASS.

It seems like 90+% of the time this question is asked, the person just needs more mass. I think people expect too much of their bi's, at a given height/weight.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Answers

Incorporate weighted chins into your routine, they are your friend.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  223 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by imprezivr6 View Post
    Post a pic.. Lets see if they are really out of proportionate to the rest of your build, or if they are proportionate and you NEED MORE MASS.

It seems like 90+% of the time this question is asked, the person just needs more mass. I think people expect too much of their bi's, at a given height/weight.
    Ditto. Triceps are 2/3 of your arm mass so unless you literally can't see any bicep there then is probably not anything wrong.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  198 lbs.
    Answers

i think you might be right im prez, i am slim, i guess i've just noticed a larger strength gain in my tris, don't have a camera here at the moment but i'll try to get on that... I'll try thos thanks Gator
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  198 lbs.
    Answers

thanks guys
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  173 lbs.
    Answers

As everyone else said, triceps are huge compared to your bis. Do chins, and some isolation. *shrugs* concentration curl negatives? That really helped me, but the day after suckss..

Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.7; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Answers

i have personally found that my arms respond best to higher reps... 12-20 on everything for bi's and the only thing i go heavy on for tri's are CG bench
  9. yea!!!!!
    Stats
    6'3"  249 lbs.
    Answers

..weight down, stricter form, higher reps.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.
    Answers

Be careful of over-training your biceps. It's not a very big muscle, and they get hit when training back....if you do train back.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Answers

might be a silly question but are you training to failure? every set after you warm up.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  198 lbs.
    Answers

yea I'm goign to failure, I only trian them once a week with arms... i figure twice a week may be too much?
  13. Banned
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Answers

I believe the general rule of thumb is that you have to gain 10lbs. of bodyweight to add an inch to your arms. It's classic case scenario...You have to EAT to gain mass! People tend to overwork bi's also.Remember, they are a secondary muscle group on back day.
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  232 lbs.
    Answers

Try doing some isolation curls or spider curls.

theres a muscle under you bicep i think its teh brachiallus but w/e spider curls/isolation curls hit it pretty good.

Has worked for me atleast.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Here are some general tips for how to create larger, quality arms:

1.) Shoot for gaining overall mass if you want larger arms! This means eating a surplus of (clean) calories. As you grow, so will your arms. If you want bigger arms, you have to get bigger as a whole. Rarely do you ever see a guy with little overall mass carrying massive arms; it just doesn't work that way. Of course there are some exceptions, but for the most part, if you want bigger arms, get bigger as a whole.

2.) Make heavy compound lifts a priority in your workouts: squats, deadlifts, presses, ect.. I know it's beat into the ground around here, but squats are one of the bests exercises for stimulating total body growth. You're arms don't do any actual work, yet the benefits come from the numerous muscles you have to recruit to complete the lift. Deadlifts are also a key exercise! The biceps actually come into play here as stabilizers, contracting intensely but not over a full range of motion. Like the squat, the deadlift is a great exercise because it calls upon so many muscles to help do work.

3.) Make isolation arm work secondary. Too many times I've seen people come into the gym and head straight to the dumbbell racks to do biceps curls. Then they'll do some bar curls. Then maybe they'll do some triceps exercises. These people usually don't have impressive arms. You figure they would if they spend so much effort and energy trying to make them grow, right? Unfortunately that's not the way it works most of the time. Isolation arm work should come secondary to compound lifting. Isolation arm work alone won't get you far, but combined with hardcore, heavy compound lifting, it will. For instance, after an intense back workout, my biceps have already been taxed quite thoroughly, however, they haven't really worked over a full range of motion, therefore I finish my workouts with a few sets of biceps exercises that work the muscles through a full range of motion. If you're going to be doing biceps work, it HAS to be quality. You have to find the sweet spot with the amount of specific work you're doing and that specific work has to be as efficient as possible, otherwise you risk overtraining them. If I'm doing biceps on back day I'll do around 3-5 total sets on average: bar curls first for a couple sets, then something like incline DB curls, cable curls or preacher curls for another one or two sets, finishing with some chins. I go it by feel... if I feel like my biceps are throughly worked after just 2-3 total sets, then I stop. Go really slow on your negatives too (2-3 seconds, depending on what works best for you). Time under tension during biceps work pays off dividends.

4.) Know that the triceps are roughly 2/3 of your total upper arm mass. You want to have quality biceps, which comes from overall mass gains coupled with quality, isolation work. However, know that your triceps make the bulk of your upper arm, so the bigger your triceps get, the bigger your arms get. Make sure you don't overwork the triceps though, since they come into play heavily during any pressing movement (think about chest and shoulder training).

5.) After each set of biceps, flex them for a little bit to pump and trap more blood in the muscle. The more pumped your muscle is, the more you can "feel" what's happening to it, therefore the better quality of training you can deliver to them.

6.) Stretch them out throughly after you workout! I'm a firm believer in stretching after workouts, but for some reason, around where I live anyway, people hardly ever stretch out smaller muscles like the biceps, forearms, triceps or calves, after they've worked them. After a long period of intense contractions, muscles need to be stretched.

Happy training!
  16. Banned
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Answers

[QUOTE=Joshua86;1911029]Here are some general tips for how to create larger, quality arms:

1.) Shoot for gaining overall mass if you want larger arms! This means eating a surplus of (clean) calories. As you grow, so will your arms. If you want bigger arms, you have to get bigger as a whole. Rarely do you ever see a guy with little overall mass carrying massive arms; it just doesn't work that way. Of course there are some exceptions, but for the most part, if you want bigger arms, get bigger as a whole.

2.) Make heavy compound lifts a priority in your workouts: squats, deadlifts, presses, ect.. I know it's beat into the ground around here, but squats are one of the bests exercises for stimulating total body growth. You're arms don't do any actual work, yet the benefits come from the numerous muscles you have to recruit to complete the lift. Deadlifts are also a key exercise! The biceps actually come into play here as stabilizers, contracting intensely but not over a full range of motion. Like the squat, the deadlift is a great exercise because it calls upon so many muscles to help do work.

3.) Make isolation arm work secondary. Too many times I've seen people come into the gym and head straight to the dumbbell racks to do biceps curls. Then they'll do some bar curls. Then maybe they'll do some triceps exercises. These people usually don't have impressive arms. You figure they would if they spend so much effort and energy trying to make them grow, right? Unfortunately that's not the way it works most of the time. Isolation arm work should come secondary to compound lifting. Isolation arm work alone won't get you far, but combined with hardcore, heavy compound lifting, it will. For instance, after an intense back workout, my biceps have already been taxed quite thoroughly, however, they haven't really worked over a full range of motion, therefore I finish my workouts with a few sets of biceps exercises that work the muscles through a full range of motion. If you're going to be doing biceps work, it HAS to be quality. You have to find the sweet spot with the amount of specific work you're doing and that specific work has to be as efficient as possible, otherwise you risk overtraining them. If I'm doing biceps on back day I'll do around 3-5 total sets on average: bar curls first for a couple sets, then something like incline DB curls, cable curls or preacher curls for another one or two sets, finishing with some chins. I go it by feel... if I feel like my biceps are throughly worked after just 2-3 total sets, then I stop. Go really slow on your negatives too (2-3 seconds, depending on what works best for you). Time under tension during biceps work pays off dividends.

4.) Know that the triceps are roughly 2/3 of your total upper arm mass. You want to have quality biceps, which comes from overall mass gains coupled with quality, isolation work. However, know that your triceps make the bulk of your upper arm, so the bigger your triceps get, the bigger your arms get. Make sure you don't overwork the triceps though, since they come into play heavily during any pressing movement (think about chest and shoulder training).

5.) After each set of biceps, flex them for a little bit to pump and trap more blood in the muscle. The more pumped your muscle is, the more you can "feel" what's happening to it, therefore the better quality of training you can deliver to them.

6.) Stretch them out throughly after you workout! I'm a firm believer in stretching after workouts, but for some reason, around where I live anyway, people hardly ever stretch out smaller muscles like the biceps, forearms, triceps or calves, after they've worked them. After a long period of intense contractions, muscles need to be stretched.

Happy training![/
    All of that is great,BUT if you aren't feeding your muscles with the proper amount of quality nutrition,you are REALLY short changing yourself,and will NOT see the results you are aspiring to.Proper nutrition is #1,along with proper recovery time and w/out both you will see MINIMAL gains.That's why people get frustrated,and feel the need to "do more" and overtrain.Building muscle starts at home before you get into the gym.
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Answers

For sure, bro... I didn't even think to mention proper nutrition, but you're right, diet is EVERYTHING!!! It should be a no-brainer, but unfortunately it's probably the one area most people have wrong.

Props, brotha!
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  198 lbs.
    Answers

yea at my age with my body type it's real hard for me to gain overall mass. i just added deadlifts and squats to my workout about 2 months ago (only been working out seriously for 5)... but yea maybe i just need a little time and patience
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  199 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by goleafsgo1216 View Post
    yea at my age with my body type it's real hard for me to gain overall mass. i just added deadlifts and squats to my workout about 2 months ago (only been working out seriously for 5)... but yea maybe i just need a little time and patience
    You're at a prime age to make GREAT gains. Eat clean, but eat like a freakin horse man. EAT/EAT/TRAIN/EAT/SLEEP repeat!!! Keep at those squats and deads!!!
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Need bigger but...not bigger legs.
    By Aviad in forum Female Fitness
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 02-23-2010, 06:34 AM
  2. Bigger lower body to get bigger upper body?????
    By lift or die in forum Bulking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-13-2009, 04:40 PM
  3. how can i get bigger
    By billdollar89 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 04-22-2008, 09:46 PM
  4. UFC/MMA getting bigger...
    By EESCHMan in forum MMA
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-29-2007, 09:03 PM