Need help growing chest.

1. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.87%

Need help growing chest.

I need some pointers or advice on helping put a little size on my chest. So ive been lifting heavy since the beginning of the year. I just got off a cycle of test about 2 weeks ago. My chest was good size and now im starting to lose a little and my chest has just deflated. Last summer I did epistane and the same thing happened. My chest has really never had much size compared to other parts of my body.

This week im changing up my routine cause the heavy weights are killing my joints. I was going to try out super setting or something along those lines to keep the weight down and tone up for summer. My normal routine has been flat bench, incline, decline, and flys. Probably going to stick kinda with the same maybe switch out incline and decline with cables every other week or so.

Just needing some pointers on how I would go about putting some size on my chest and a good routine for chest day. Thanks.

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  223 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.05%

Not to sound like an ass, but if you are doing 3 pressing exercises plus an isolation movement then you probably weren't going that heavy.

That being said you may want to put up some more info. Are you more a delt presser and have trouble getting your chest to do the work or is it just that what you've done hasn't resulted in the growth you want?

Also what are you doing for your tricep exercises?

Stick with the movements that are going to have you moving the most weight. You'll put more work on the muscle doing 225 pound inclines for reps then you will 60 pound cable crossovers.

Check out the DC stretches too.
  3. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.11%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

If someone were a delt presser, shouldn't they lower the weight so they can do more of the work with their chest?

The problem people have when they go heavy, is that they use other muscles too much in the movement. I had/have this problem a lot. When I go heavy, I use my triceps and delts too much. It's normal when you're pushing as much weight as you can, that other muscles will kick in to make it easier.

If you want to focus on growth, focus on doing what it takes to stimulate the muscle that you want to focus on, even if that means dropping the weight so that you can get a better connection and form for pressing properly to stimulate chest growth.

Honestly, growth is not about going heavy...it's about proper form and stimulation of the targetted muscles.
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.87%

Quote Originally Posted by Gutterpump View Post
    If someone were a delt presser, shouldn't they lower the weight so they can do more of the work with their chest?

The problem people have when they go heavy, is that they use other muscles too much in the movement. I had/have this problem a lot. When I go heavy, I use my triceps and delts too much. It's normal when you're pushing as much weight as you can, that other muscles will kick in to make it easier.

If you want to focus on growth, focus on doing what it takes to stimulate the muscle that you want to focus on, even if that means dropping the weight so that you can get a better connection and form for pressing properly to stimulate chest growth.

Honestly, growth is not about going heavy...it's about proper form and stimulation of the targetted muscles.

The heavy stuffs killing me so I was going to switch to lighter and change up my routine for it. I know proper form is #1 and thats going to be my main focus now and not worry about strength anymore. Just looking for a nice routine to really focus on my chest so I can kill it on chest days and hopefully see some growth.

JTP - my tri's ill switch up what I do every week but ill go with dips, single arm tri's, over head, I was doing skull crushers but I started feeling pains in my elbows so I stopped that for the moment. I try to mix it up with everything I do and do something different for every set.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  223 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.05%

I can't help you out w/ the higher volume stuff. I rarely do more than 2 exercises for a single body part.

As far as triceps go, I'd focus on dips, close grip bench, db floor presses, and hammer grip db presses. Those all will hit your chest along with your triceps.
  6. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.97%

Quote Originally Posted by jtp217 View Post
    Not to sound like an ass, but if you are doing 3 pressing exercises plus an isolation movement then you probably weren't going that heavy.

That being said you may want to put up some more info. Are you more a delt presser and have trouble getting your chest to do the work or is it just that what you've done hasn't resulted in the growth you want?

Also what are you doing for your tricep exercises?

Stick with the movements that are going to have you moving the most weight. You'll put more work on the muscle doing 225 pound inclines for reps then you will 60 pound cable crossovers.

Check out the DC stretches too.
    Great advice.. That was 100% my problem.. I was always front delt dominant in my pressing movements, and this gave me an overdeveloped front delt, and lacking chest.. Really locking down my form(shoulders pinched back/down,chest high, sternum high, etc) has helped big time. That coupled with getting more progressive on m DC stretches, have made very dramatic changes.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  173 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.73%

Weighted dips with the strain on your chest. Decline pullovers. Good ole fasioned push ups

Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.7; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920
  8. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.87%

Whats the best way when doing exercises to isolate and make sure I get 100% chest and not get delts and other things helping out? Cause I have noticed my front delts do grow and I dont really do much to work them out (bad bone spur in shoulder).
  9. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.97%

Quote Originally Posted by cmp007 View Post
    Whats the best way when doing exercises to isolate and make sure I get 100% chest and not get delts and other things helping out? Cause I have noticed my front delts do grow and I dont really do much to work them out (bad bone spur in shoulder).
    Here is a post by DC, that literally improved my chest by leaps and bounds, and got me to break my bad habit of being a "front delt presser"
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggcrapp View Post

STOP FRONT DELT PRESSING WHEN DOING CHEST EXERCISES
    "Go get some 30-40lb dumbells & lay down on a flat bench but I only want you laying down with the top half of your back on the bench--your ass & your lower back will be off (the edge) of it, now lower the dumbells as deep as they can go & at the bottom drop your trunk (ass) as low as you can & raise your ribcage high (like you would do if you were doing a cross bench pullover)---now hold that position throughout the whole movement--& press the dumbells 10 times (& keep that ass down & sternum up-in that same position I told you to hold...on every rep down the bottom sink the dumbells as low as you can go for a deep 1 second pause before pressing...do not let your delts roll forward like every newbie does. A newbie presses & then flattens his chest & rolls his delts forward at the end of a press.

See how that feels? That's how you should be doing every single chest exercise--with that same exact feel. (I'm not suggesting lifting like that on everything--I'm trying to get you to know the difference between a chest presser & a front delt presser) so you personally adjust yourself (shoulders back & down, pinched shoulder blades, chest high, sternum high) on every chest exercise you do."
  10. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.87%

Yea so did chest day today...and yea I seem to use front delts WAY to freaking much. I never realized how bad I was off. Going to make sure I do them right from now and and see how that helps.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  223 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.05%

Yea so did chest day today...and yea I seem to use front delts WAY to freaking much. I never realized how bad I was off. Going to make sure I do them right from now and and see how that helps.
    I have that problem too. Pressing w/ dumbbells works best for me. I found that when I bring them down if I rotate them out so that my palms face each other in the bottom position. Better stretch and keeps the pressure on my chest and not my shoulders.
  12. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.87%

I have that problem too. Pressing w/ dumbbells works best for me. I found that when I bring them down if I rotate them out so that my palms face each other in the bottom position. Better stretch and keeps the pressure on my chest and not my shoulders.
    Yea I do the same thing. It seems like no matter how hard I tried with normal bench because my hands were far apart I cant pinch my chest. Cable always work the best for me to really get the chest burning
  13. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  153 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.19%

very useful post. I am a former rower of 4 years, leaving me with the typical rowers body with my back and shoulders huge, and my chest very flat. I have made significant gains on my chest size in the last year or so of training, but now that I read this I think I am definetly using my delts to much, which is why my gains have slowed.

Personally, I have been fixing this through a larger variety of chest exercises to hit defferent areas, but I will definetly take this advice on better form for a flat bench press. Thanks!
  14. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.11%

Decline press, decline hammer press (hold and squeeze at peak - this really triggers/activates a good percentage of your chest, not just lower, when doing decline), decline flies, cable flies, slight incline bench cable crossovers (holding contraction at peak), push-press, db press, flat flies (half flies with deep stretch, always remaining under tension, never locking)...
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  223 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.05%

Yea I do the same thing. It seems like no matter how hard I tried with normal bench because my hands were far apart I cant pinch my chest. Cable always work the best for me to really get the chest burning
    Cables really limit the amount of weight you can use though. Another thing that has helped me when pressing with a bar is focusing on pulling the bar down to my chest on the eccentric. When I just focused on a slow negative my shoulders took over and it was hard to shift the focus back to my chest on the concentric portion. Since I started "pulling" the bar to my chest I rarely have a problem.
  16. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.87%

Cables really limit the amount of weight you can use though. Another thing that has helped me when pressing with a bar is focusing on pulling the bar down to my chest on the eccentric. When I just focused on a slow negative my shoulders took over and it was hard to shift the focus back to my chest on the concentric portion. Since I started "pulling" the bar to my chest I rarely have a problem.
    Thanks for in input. I really think that would help me out on bench. Ill give it a shot next week
  17. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  169 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.47%

Its awesome when people get the knowledge they're looking for, this site rules...
  18. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.75%

Quote Originally Posted by Gutterpump View Post

I had the same issue and was recommended the above for my chest workouts. Since I have been doing less weight, my chest has taken off!!! Slow dumbell bench, reeeaaally squeezing at the peak. It takes the priority off of using the delts. Try this for a couple weeks and see what you think.
  19. New Member
    Stats
    5'4"  124 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.46%

this post has really helped me with targeting my chest muscles, i tried lifting my sternum yesterday and the difference was very significant!

Similar Forum Threads

1. Chest: just not growing
    By TruffleShuffle in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 08-09-2008, 07:25 PM
  2. pain in left chest (inside the chest)
    By jjdoherty in forum LG Sciences
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-12-2008, 03:47 PM
  3. Flat bench to the chest or couple inches above chest...
    By bbillcee in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 07-02-2008, 06:30 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-24-2008, 06:51 PM
  5. Chest 2x a week to improve upper chest?
    By AldrichAStern in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 04-18-2006, 08:32 PM