shoulders lagging behind need some help to add thickness

R

Rah22491

Awards
My shoulders are decently thick but i would like them to be alot thicker. Could the reason they are behind be the fact that i train them last in my split? My diet is on point as is my intensity in the gym and rest. Any suggestions?

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
what's your routine? usually for a lagging body part (weak point training), you'd place it at the beginning of the weak when you're freshest, and do one compound movement for each delt head, then one isolation for each delt head. something like
front - military or overhead press
middle - wide grip upright (cable or smythe) rows
rear - face pulls

then isolation with dumbells. - front/side/rear delt raises.

that's what i would do without knowing what you're already doing :)

freqfly

freqfly

Awards
  • Established
My shoulders are my most complimented body part. Here's my routine if you're interested.

High incline bench (can't do straight military press, lower back issues) 3x8-12
Front raises 3x8-12
Side lateral raises 3x8-12
Reverse pec deck 3x812

Hope that gives you some ideas to get those melons to grow!

R

Rah22491

Awards
yea i switch it up between smith military press, db press and reg military press

Db side laterals
Reverse pec dec or lying rear delt flye
i also do traps on that day but those arent a prob. my front delt overpowers my rear and mid.

yo sun wat are facepulls?

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
yea i switch it up between smith military press, db press and reg military press

Db side laterals
i also do traps on that day but those arent a prob. my front delt overpowers my rear and mid.

Do you do any bent over rows, tbar rows, etc for back?

T

TURUGBY

Awards
  • Established
try doing heavy Smith military press for sets (8,6,6,6) and arnold press (4x8). Do these at the start of your shoulder routine, good luck

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established

Db side laterals

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XOKw-RnDGQ"]YouTube - 08/07/04, face pulls[/ame]

R

Rah22491

Awards
Do you do any bent over rows, tbar rows, etc for back?
yea i hit those on back day but really focus on contracting my back. I think im going to move them to back day and work rear delts at the end since the muscles around my rear delts will be fatigued and i will be able to completely isolate them. DO you think this would work?

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
For rear delts, i would be more concerned with getting my numbers/strength up in those types rowing movements, etc, then with "isolation" but that is me. Everyone has their own opinion..

I am a believer that a 315lb bb row, is doing more for your rear delts then a 30lb rear delt raise.

Sinon

Sinon

Awards
Behind the neck barbell shoulder press. And 21s with laterals

Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.7; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920

D

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
Behind the neck barbell shoulder press. And 21s with laterals

Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.7; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920
I acheived that cannonball shouler look with behind the neck presses, but i also acheived shoulder pain.

B

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
try doing dumbell cleans and snatch

R

Rah22491

Awards
For rear delts, i would be more concerned with getting my numbers/strength up in those types rowing movements, etc, then with "isolation" but that is me. Everyone has their own opinion..

I am a believer that a 315lb bb row, is doing more for your rear delts then a 30lb rear delt raise.

Great point. you gotta build it before you shape it.

J

jcp2

Awards
  • Established

Actually i have much better rear delt development now that i started isolating them. I think rear delts are the exception to this rule because so many people have a problem activating them properly. Shoulders are my worst bodypart aside from my calves ( granted i am a powerlifter) but i have noticed improvements since i started doing a lot of rear delt work and standing shoulder pressing. The standing shoulder pressing i do so i finish over my head not out in front, and i do them strict. the are very humbling. I would do somthing like this.

After chest do standing shoulder presses 3x5-8
side laterals 2-3x12-20

then on your back day i would rear delts before back, you may be too tired after back to properly hit the rear delts. I do a few exercises. I will try and explain them.

1. face pulls, you can do them on the seated row or on lat pulldown or alternate, these are awesome and the video above shows you how to do.

2. lay on Chest supported row or at that angle (incline bench) grab a straight small bar and while laing your chest with your arms perpendicular to the ground and the bar in your hand, start to lift up with straight arms until the bar is parallel with your body. Try and keep the arms straight and the head down.

3. Same CSR angle but with dumbells hanging down to the floor and thumbs facing each other do rear delt lateral raises.

Most weeks i do all three. i have noticed a big difference in my shoulders, and the standing shoulder presses should help your bench. That is actually why started doing them. Let me know if you use any of these and how it goes.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Actually i have much better rear delt development now that i started isolating them.
Some good options.

Like i said, everyone feels different.. What works for you, may not work for me, and vice versa. If this guy has been doing rear delt isolation work, maybe it is time to switch it up, and hit **** heavy.

You re a power lifter, you already went down that path, and you needed to go the other way with your training. Makes sense.

But let me ask this.. What is your bodyfat? You would be surprised at how many people think they have no rear delt development, or under-developed rear delts, because their BF is higher, but when they diet down a bit, what do ya know..rear delts..lol

Not saying this is the case with you, but i have seen it.

J

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
Some good options.

Like i said, everyone feels different.. What works for you, may not work for me, and vice versa. If this guy has been doing rear delt isolation work, maybe it is time to switch it up, and hit **** heavy.

You re a power lifter, you already went down that path, and you needed to go the other way with your training. Makes sense.

But let me ask this.. What is your bodyfat? You would be surprised at how many people think they have no rear delt development, or under-developed rear delts, because their BF is higher, but when they diet down a bit, what do ya know..rear delts..lol

Not saying this is the case with you, but i have seen it.

I have no clue what my bodyfat is, but it is higher than it needs to be. I am working on getting down to 250. I started this shoulder training because i wanted to increase my bench. My shoulders got much bigger as a byproduct of the training, especially my rear delts. If i had rear delts before, i am not sure, but they are much bigger now, and my shoulders are fuller. What you said about compound lifts is a rule of training in my book, but this is an exception for people who can't activate their rear delts very well. Beginners have a problem activating their back as well in the beginning.