Those days when you just can't get good form.

majinbijiita

majinbijiita

Awards
Periodically, it seems like I have these days where no matter how I try to position by body, or specifically the body part I'm working out, I can't get that good form down.

This happened to me last night, and it totally ruins the experience for me. I need to feel that STRETCH, that BURN, otherwise...I feel like I'm not getting anything done except wasting calories.

So, when it happened last night I started to realize...maybe it's because I upped the weight too much, so I backed down, and down, and down - until I felt that stretch again. (I was doing barbell curls.) But, for some reason, I just couldn't get that good form on my right arm. My left was burning like it was on fire...but I just couldn't position the bar to hit my right arm the same way.

I think my left arm is slightly longer than my right...but I've had days where I felt the burn in both arms so I don't think it has to do with that.

Do you think the fact that I started out too heavy "woke up" all my supporting muscles and ruined my form? Do you know what I mean?

Anyways, just ranting. Let me know if you've had similar experiences and what you did to correct them! :whiner:

fieldt76

Awards
I think I know what you mean, I have bad days in the gym too. I think of it kind of like a basketball player having a bad game or something. I remember a couple of months ago I got so disgusted with my performance in the gym that I just decided to leave. I think you just have to realize that you're not gonna be perfect all of the time. It just makes me more determined to crush it the next time. Now I feel like Dr. Phil...

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
If you already know how to perform the exercises correctly, you shouldn't have too many problems using correct form. It all comes with experience. Like you said, sometimes you're using too much weight and have to lower it until that feel is reestablished. Make sure

Concentration and form are everything, so it's important to make sure you have both. This, among other things, come with experience.

majinbijiita

majinbijiita

Awards
I agree, Josh. I think that's why my gains stalled until I switched exercises. I was upping the weight too quickly and wasn't getting the full contraction/stretch and isolation.

Maybe this is a newbie problem...but seriously...I tried moving the bar around 20 times to find the "Sweet spot" and it just wasn't happening. I'm hoping my next workout is better.

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
Find someone in your gym that knows what they're doing and ask them if they wouldn't mind checking out your form. Most people will probably help you out, and if they know what they're doing, they'll correct your form if need be.

sportsfan4110

sportsfan4110

Awards
i have the same problem sometimes but its when i do BB rows. Somedays i just cant get my form down and feel it. Most of the time i have good form and feel it but sometimes i dont. I just saw screw it and go do another exercise. i dont worry bout it tho just make sure ur using good weight and always feel it, and when u dont just go do something else.

majinbijiita

majinbijiita

Awards
i have the same problem sometimes but its when i do BB rows. Somedays i just cant get my form down and feel it. Most of the time i have good form and feel it but sometimes i dont. I just saw screw it and go do another exercise. i dont worry bout it tho just make sure ur using good weight and always feel it, and when u dont just go do something else.
You right about that. One day I had this happen and just did a completely different exercise working the same body part - and felt it. Good suggestion!

majinbijiita

majinbijiita

Awards
I figured out what the problem is: I've been using a fricken mirror to get better form.

A large part of the problem is that I've been relying on my eyes to dictate good form, instead of my brain. For example, my right shoulder is lower than my left, for whatever reason. So I've been working out in front of a mirror, trying to have correct form by keeping the bar level. Now with the bar level, my left are gets most of the load because of the position of my shoulders. When I stopped looking at the mirror, and starting just going my the feel, my reps were much better. They were more controlled, more accurate, and more isolated.

Also, the slower I go, the easier it is to pick up when a helper muscle starts to get involved, and I can quickly relax it and continue the rep, focusing on total isolation.

But I am worried than the slowness of my reps will cut down on the activation of my fast-twitch fibers...since I know they are bigger, and that's what I'm aiming for - bigness, not endurance at the moment.

Do you think I should continue this the way I am doing it now? Or should I try to be more explosive without sacrificing proper form too much?