Help with chest

Loki003

Awards
I'm a water polo player so my back and legs where always my strongest body parts. I am just trying to develop my chest more. I do flat, incline, and delcine bench. Both with barbell and dumbells, pec deck, cables ect. Just looking into what are your favorites or what works best for you.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Those are the basics and should do you well. It will take some time but the only other chest exercise I love to do that I think does wonders is weighted explosive pushups. Have someone put a plate on your back and controlled negative with controlled explosive positive.

jp17815

jp17815

Awards
  • Established
Hey,
I like the bench, I use the BB for the most part. 1 thing I do is to "Drop" the weight.
What I mean by that is, I will start lifting heavy on the bench. I'll do 2 sets then drop the weight by 20 lbs and repeat for 2 sets. For my last set I'll drop another 20-30lbs off the bar and lift till I need a spot.

Another thing I like to do for the chest is to get (4) 45lb plates and stack them 2 high on the floor about shoulder leanth apart. Then do push ups off the plates and onto the floor alternating floor,plates. Kind of like a wide spread to a tight spread. Just be careful if you do this. I have kissed the cement more then once. lol

JP..

Last edited:

Loki003

Awards
Those both sound really fun, going to try them out tomorrow, thanks guys for your input!!

fieldt76

Awards
Looks like you got most of the good ones in there, I would probably add some weighted dips to that and get rid of the pec dec(at least don't make it a habit). Just remember to go heavy and keep your body guessing. You should see some nice results. I would save the weighted explosive pushups for when you plateau at some point. Those could really help you break through... Kind of like a contingency plan of sorts.

Loki003

Awards
Will do, now to get the belt for weighted dips. I have kinda plateaued right now on bench, so i may see if the weighted explosive push ups will help with that.

TURUGBY

Awards
  • Established
Bench press (form is vital)
10,8,6,6,4 (pyramid up weight)
ex: 225,245,265,285,300

form: grip the bar wide enough to place emphasis on pecs. Squeeze shoulderblades together tightly for a strong contact with bench, this will also alleviate shoulder stress. Feet planted firmly and flat on ground.

Incline Bench
8,8,6,6 (pyramid up weight)
ex:185,205,225,225
form:squeeze shoulder blades, come down to chest, press

Incline DB Pec fly
Form: slight bend to arms, go down until triceps slightly below parallel to ground, flex at top of the motion for a 1 sec pause

Pec Dec

Cable crossover
form: slight bend to arms, go ALL THE WAY UP (just before weight touches) to stretch the muscle, bring down and in front until hands just touch pause and squeeze 1 sec

do this routine, works great, use it for myself and a few clients. All great results so far, good luck focus on form

Loki003

Awards
Bench press (form is vital)
10,8,6,6,4 (pyramid up weight)
ex: 225,245,265,285,300

form: grip the bar wide enough to place emphasis on pecs. Squeeze shoulderblades together tightly for a strong contact with bench, this will also alleviate shoulder stress. Feet planted firmly and flat on ground.

Incline Bench
8,8,6,6 (pyramid up weight)
ex:185,205,225,225
form:squeeze shoulder blades, come down to chest, press

Incline DB Pec fly
Form: slight bend to arms, go down until triceps slightly below parallel to ground, flex at top of the motion for a 1 sec pause

Pec Dec

Cable crossover
form: slight bend to arms, go ALL THE WAY UP (just before weight touches) to stretch the muscle, bring down and in front until hands just touch pause and squeeze 1 sec

do this routine, works great, use it for myself and a few clients. All great results so far, good luck focus on form
Awesome, thanks for the tips on form!!

Sinon

Sinon

Awards
Weighted dips for sure, cable crossovers for a good pump

Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.7; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920

Loki003

Awards
Did chest yesterday, and tried out the push ups on the plates, weighted push up, and weighted dips. All felt so good and i am so sore today, thanks again for your input. Oh and thanks TURUGBY i was watching my form and could feel my chest working way more.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
Weighted dips for sure, cable crossovers for a good pump

Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.7; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920
nothing gives me a better chest pump than cable crossovers. using it at the end of the workout to enhance blood flow to the chest is a great way to go.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
a couple more ideas, pullovers and straight arm pulldowns do hit the upper chest as well as back, so they can be handy to hit from a different direction. Also, although you have to have the right sort of gym to do it, you can try adding chains on the barbell. Not the microweight chains to get a half pound, but full heavy chains. the idea with big chains is that as the bar goes up, it gets heavier and heavier as more links are off the floor. depending on size of chains + all you can end up with the barbell gaining easily 40lbs from when its at your chest to when you hit top.

last idea is 1 rep controlled negatives. Go with a weight around what your 5rm is, have spotters there or do it in a squat rack :D, and try to take 15 sec to lower it completely (but basically go as slow as you can). If you can do that, bump the weight up till you hit what you can only survive thru 5 second to lower it.

Loki003

Awards
That sounds like so much fun!!! Now i have to find a chain, any suggestions on where?

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Dips and Incline Bench. I like Incline bench because it seems to stimulate more muscle movement than flat bench and decline. Plus I am trying to get my upper chest more developed :p

TURUGBY

Awards
  • Established
no problem man, keep us updated on how its workin for ya

freqfly

freqfly

Awards
  • Established
Weighted dips are my fave right now. Decline press machine really gives me a good pinch on the inner/lower chest as well.

bmw8591

Awards
  • Established
nothing gives me a better chest pump than cable crossovers. using it at the end of the workout to enhance blood flow to the chest is a great way to go.
I have done these some in the gym and it seems like I only get the pump once in a while. I am sure my form is probably off. What are the primary things to focus on to make sure I have good form?

Loki003

Awards
I have had pretty good pumps from cable crossovers.

Loki003

Awards
So sore from all of the suggestions, thanks guys again for all of you advice!!!!

TURUGBY

Awards
  • Established
I have done these some in the gym and it seems like I only get the pump once in a while. I am sure my form is probably off. What are the primary things to focus on to make sure I have good form?
stand about a foot in front of the cables so they are pulling your arms up and back. Allow your arms to come almost all the way up, with a slight bend in your arms and your upper body standing straight up bring your arms down in front of your waist. Touch them and pause for a second and squeeze your chest. Return to the top and do another rep.