Intensity- CNS Overkill?

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
I have been pretty infatuated with the GVT program as of late despite my strength-training tendencies. I wondered if the bench/db row program would transfer to other muscle groups/exercises...so I figured I'd give the 10x10 a shot for inside grip E-Z Bar Curls (as bicep strength has really no place in the real world other than furniture moving and perhaps arm wrestling). My workout was as follows:

Giant Set Back (circuit repeated three times before switching to biceps):
10 x BW Wide Grip Pullups, full ROM
10 x 95lbs. Barbell Row
8 x 65lbs. DB Row
10 x 120lbs. Lat Pulldown

Approx. 90 seconds rest in between sets

GVT E-Z Bar Curl:
10 x 10 75 E-Z Bar Curl (failure @ set 8 at 9)

Giant Set Forearms (circuit repeated three times before to abs):
12 x 55 Reverse E-Z Bar Curl
10 x 20lbs. Vertical-Aligned Hammer Curls
10 x 20lbs. Cross-Body Hammer Curls
15 x 105lbs. Behind-the-Back Wrist/Forearm Curls
Failure x ? Wrist Roller/Roll-ups

All-encompassing ab circuit (don't know the exact names, went to failure on each exercise)

My question is, I know that GVT can be hard on the CNS and you're not supposed to do the same workout more than once/week (I'm pretty sure). With these kind of high-intensity circuits, am I being counterproductive to my mass-gaining intentions? I appreciate any responses and input as always.

Variocam

Variocam

Awards
Might be tough at first but I wouldnt worry about it, I did a similar thing for my bench and it worked pretty well for about 4 weeks until I had to change it up.

Jax11

Awards
eat clean and in proper amounts and make sure you allow urself time 2recover and u should experience some good growth and ur CNS shud recover well ...i did a GVT 3x wk but different exercises each day and my CNS and results were good...best of luck w/ urs