DC Training: Lets Talk Hammies

SoCo4Fun

SoCo4Fun

Awards
  • Established
What do you DC guys do for Hammies? I love my RDL's...seated hammy curl machine is ok...kneeling one sucks balls...

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
RDL, Sumo leg press, Lying leg curl, seated leg curl, sometimes GHR..

SoCo4Fun

SoCo4Fun

Awards
  • Established
I just did some searching on Sumo leg press...looks like mixed reviews on this one...imrepsivr6 do you use it? What do you think of it?

SoCo4Fun

SoCo4Fun

Awards
  • Established
I tried to rep you for your wicked fast response but apparently I've repped you too much...hahaha...gotta spread it around before I can give it to you again...

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I just did some searching on Sumo leg press...looks like mixed reviews on this one...imrepsivr6 do you use it? What do you think of it?
Ya, i actually am using them now. I like them. I just SS them.

SoCo4Fun

SoCo4Fun

Awards
  • Established
Hmmm...I may swap out the ultra gay kneeling leg curl machine for them...

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Hmmm...I may swap out the ultra gay kneeling leg curl machine for them...
Give em a shot man.. Just focus on pressing with your heels, and getting into that deep stretch.

You could also do good mornings..

SoCo4Fun

SoCo4Fun

Awards
  • Established
Good morning always hit my lower back HARD...I could play around with them though to see if I can get them to hit my hammies more...

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Good morning always hit my lower back HARD...I could play around with them though to see if I can get them to hit my hammies more...
That is why i dont do them.. My lower back already takes a beating with dl's, rdl's, rack deads, etc, etc.

jtp217

jtp217

Awards
DB leg curls f'n rule too. My favorites are sumo leg press, GHR, RDL's and DB Leg Curls.

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
i agree....these are in my rotation right now

sumo presses
lying leg curl
SLDL

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
thats wat my rotation was RDLs look very similar to regular deadlifts just not squating down as much

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
well the 3 exercises for my DC rotation are squats, leg press, and NARROW hack squats. No matter the leg exercise, on leg day, I added in what i call a leg "alternate" exercise that is either leg extensions or lying ham curls. Which ever one i do, ill do them immediately after the workset for squats, hacks, or presses, and i'll do 2 sets of 20. After that is the stretches.

All I can say is since ive started DC in Jan,...my hams have blown up, and there's a lot more thickness to the back of my legs. The Deadlifts help too,...:dl:

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
well the 3 exercises for my DC rotation are squats, leg press, and NARROW hack squats. No matter the leg exercise, on leg day, I added in what i call a leg "alternate" exercise that is either leg extensions or lying ham curls. Which ever one i do, ill do them immediately after the workset for squats, hacks, or presses, and i'll do 2 sets of 20. After that is the stretches.

All I can say is since ive started DC in Jan,...my hams have blown up, and there's a lot more thickness to the back of my legs. The Deadlifts help too,...:dl:
So are you saying you don't do a dedicated ham movement, other then your "alternate" curls?

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
Soco, make sure the bar is low on your back. When you bend over you drive your ass out, the bar should not travel forward too much, and should stay over your hips. Try to keep a wider stance as well.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
So are you saying you don't do a dedicated ham movement, other then your "alternate" curls?
yup. I get all the activation i need from the curls... deep hacks with high foot placement and deads. Also realize I'm a tall guy... and especially for deads... my hams really get toasted as I do more of hybrid straight leg deadlift and regular dead, whereas I only have a slight bend @ the knee.

Lunges/hack machine lunges used be my finishers on leg day months ago,.. but since DC I have seen good results with the above exercises.

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
with IMPREZ's advice, i did RDL's on my last leg day.....im still sore. Wow, did they ever hit my hammies good....im talking really good.