my quest for a 400lb bench press

  1. New Member
    TURUGBY's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Age
    28
    Posts
    318
    Rep Power
    272
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    12.38%

    my quest for a 400lb bench press


    felt pretty psyched yesterday cranked out an easy 315x3.
    A lil bit of history
    powerlifting 4 1/2 years
    -max bench at this time 370 w/ shirt

    best bench w/out shirt
    -370 for 2 (this was after a SD cycle when I was 230lbs, now i'm 205)

    Pec Routine
    Mon-
    Flat Bench- 10,8,6,4,3,10
    225,245,275, 305,315, 225
    Pec Dec-8,8,8,8
    Cable Flyes- 10,10,10

    Fri-
    Incline Smith Bench- 10, 8, 8, 8
    Pec Dec- 8, 8, 8
    Pushups- 20,20,20

    Just got back into benchin hard after havin a bad shoulder for a long time but feels 100% again. Lookin forward to movin some serious weight :dl: If I get enough replys, questions I'll keep updating progress for those interested. O ya I'm a personal trainer as well so I try to do short 30-40 min workouts 5xweek. If people want to see the rest of my routine let me know. I typically do triceps and abs as well on chest day.

  2. Board Sponsor
    WhatsaRoid?'s Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3,428
    Rep Power
    3652
    Level
    41
    Lv. Percent
    73.9%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Dude we are both going after the same goal. Best of luck to you, I'll be checking back often to make sure your motivated. Let's make it happen!

  3. Advanced Member
    dmillz224's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    652
    Rep Power
    457
    Level
    20
    Lv. Percent
    36.81%

    subbed... knock it out dude
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    TURUGBY's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Age
    28
    Posts
    318
    Rep Power
    272
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    12.38%

    gonna be workin chest today cant wait! Its gonna be hard to get those numbers up b/c i'm cutting but diet is dialed in and even though im losing weight my numbers continue to climb! I'll update tonight on how it went
  5. New Member
    Matt6969's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  171 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    403
    Rep Power
    284
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    83.55%

    best of luck. power to you
  6. New Member
    TURUGBY's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Age
    28
    Posts
    318
    Rep Power
    272
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    12.38%

    a lil dissapointed. However I did just bench on Friday and I could tell I was still a lil weak. Today was my easy chest day so Sets looked like this
    225x8
    245x6
    275x6
    300x4

    pec dec 3x8 220
    Dips 3x25
  7. New Member
    TURUGBY's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Age
    28
    Posts
    318
    Rep Power
    272
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    12.38%

    also light triceps, one arm rope pressdown
    40lbs 3x8
    and abs
  8. Advanced Member
    jcp2's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Age
    38
    Posts
    862
    Rep Power
    578
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    16.48%

    Good luck, my goal is a 500 raw this year. Just started training for it 6 weeks ago. You might want to do a little actual heavy trainig. I just missed 450 by a hair last week, never missed anything in the upper half of my raw bench before but did for the first time, even doing paused reps. I am going through a 3 week heavy band cycle now to bust through that plateua. Getting to a 400 bench is a great number at your weight, especially if you do it in a meet. Hit your weakness' hard.
  9. New Member
    retts1212's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    71
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    15.17%

    Before I recently started cutting like a month ago I got 475....barbell rows for thickness and closegrip bench for your tris....keep your reps down
  10. Board Sponsor
    WhatsaRoid?'s Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3,428
    Rep Power
    3652
    Level
    41
    Lv. Percent
    73.9%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by TURUGBY View Post
    a lil dissapointed. However I did just bench on Friday and I could tell I was still a lil weak. Today was my easy chest day so Sets looked like this
    225x8
    245x6
    275x6
    300x4

    pec dec 3x8 220
    Dips 3x25
    Any updates?

    Quote Originally Posted by jcp2 View Post
    Good luck, my goal is a 500 raw this year. Just started training for it 6 weeks ago. You might want to do a little actual heavy trainig. I just missed 450 by a hair last week, never missed anything in the upper half of my raw bench before but did for the first time, even doing paused reps. I am going through a 3 week heavy band cycle now to bust through that plateua. Getting to a 400 bench is a great number at your weight, especially if you do it in a meet. Hit your weakness' hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by retts1212 View Post
    Before I recently started cutting like a month ago I got 475....barbell rows for thickness and closegrip bench for your tris....keep your reps down
    You guys got any vids?
    Applied Nutriceuticals Representative
    www.appliednutriceuticals.com

    FACEBOOK FAN PAGE:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Applie...ls/64122223218
  11. Advanced Member
    jcp2's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Age
    38
    Posts
    862
    Rep Power
    578
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    16.48%

    I will see what i can do in the near future. I am doing some heavy band work right now. Next time i track my progress i will try and take some vids.
  12. New Member
    TURUGBY's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Age
    28
    Posts
    318
    Rep Power
    272
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    12.38%

    unfortunately i don't have a vid camera or a vid cam on my phone (its pretty old) if I can figure anything out i'll let you know
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Bench Press Help
    By Swanson52 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-09-2013, 02:13 AM
  2. bench press
    By at1010 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-20-2009, 06:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in