Knees pushing in when squatting. Way to correct this?

sword-

Awards
My friend noticed this and I sometimes do this when I get into higher sets in my squat routine. For some reason my knees start to go in so I can generate more power to push the weight up when I squat. Now that I have lost some weight due to stress and job hunting my strength isn't where it should be.

One of my buddies told me that I am not pushing through my heels when doing this and that is wrong. One method he suggested was to put plates under your heels to force yourself to do the correct for.

I also believe that I could possibly have weak adductor muscles and need to correct this.

Does anyone else have this problem sometimes when doing legs and what methods have you used to correct it?

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Check these. Both reference your problem (Boris is the man btw :)):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ2AB8mDsD4"]YouTube - Squat Rx #12 (Part I)[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=steEXp9M4hQ"]YouTube - Squat Rx #12 (Part II)[/ame]

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I had this problem a while back, and it was pointed out to me that my feet were angled wrong. I had them straight forward and ever since opening them up a little the problem has gone away. Hope this helps, Royd also posted some good advice

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I had this problem a while back, and it was pointed out to me that my feet were angled wrong. I had them straight forward and ever since opening them up a little the problem has gone away. Hope this helps, Royd also posted some good advice
Yes, pointing your toes outward should help. Taking a wider stance could help you as well.

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
a few things ive done and also have told our athletes to do. Simple

1. wider stance, but not too wide. Slightly more than shoulder width.
2. push through heels....try to keep all the weight going straight up and down in a vertical manner.
3. point toes out.
4. If your knees continue to buckle "inward", i would suggest decreasing the weight. You could possible have too much weight, therefore your legs are "collapsing" in so to speak.

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
a few things ive done and also have told our athletes to do. Simple

1. wider stance, but not too wide. Slightly more than shoulder width.
2. push through heels....try to keep all the weight going straight up and down in a vertical manner.
3. point toes out.
4. If your knees continue to buckle "inward", i would suggest decreasing the weight. You could possible have too much weight, therefore your legs are "collapsing" in so to speak.
Good advice