Has anyone heard of the Mark Rippletoe Starting Strength?

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Oly lifts themselves aren't great mass builders, but their ancillary lifts are (e.g. OHP, snatch grip deads, squats).

Remember what the overall message of SS is: lots of compound lifts with frequency.

Thanks so much for your contribution to the thread Rodja. I know you have a lot of experience training and technique wise. At least that's my impression from your post history anyway. I'm going to continue with my current training program and just apply the technique and form I learn from this book.

2. I spent 2 hours today just trying to get my grip correct(according to Rippetoes Starting Strength book). Thumbs on top of the bar...Elbows out chest forward. It screwed me all up. Made my hands ache.
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    I spent 2 hours today just trying to get my grip correct(according to Rippetoes Starting Strength book). Thumbs on top of the bar...Elbows out chest forward. It screwed me all up. Made my hands ache.
    I tried this style years ago and it did nothing but cause me to lean forward excessively. I respect Rip and he has some really great books/videos, but the squat and power clean technique are not for me.

4. Quote Originally Posted by todd muelheim View Post
    I tried this style years ago and it did nothing but cause me to lean forward excessively. I respect Rip and he has some really great books/videos, but the squat and power clean technique are not for me.
    It's fine if I don't grip it like that. Rip seems to think his way is the only way though. As for Power Cleans, I've never done them. I really don't think they have a place in my training. I could see if I was going to compete in the Olympics or some type of actual weightlifting competition, but I'm way past my prime and that's just not for me. I'm really trying to give his technique a fair chance but I'm close to putting his book in the trash and not looking back.

5. Grip will vary person to person. Everyone will have different shoulder mobility. Some guys can grip wide and maintain a tight back, some will grip narrow to create a shelf. I've recently adopted a false grip due to shoulder issues and it feels no different. I also feel that elbows down will keep my torso more upright. As long as you're pulling the bar into your back, your back is tight, and your chest is up, grip it how you feel to be most effective.

I don't imagine power cleans, aka reverse grip power curls, have a place in many peoples training unless it's a college football program.

However, I would attempt a snatch grip deadlift, as that will make your back strong as hell.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
    •   

6. I just found a video explaining it pretty well. The thing is, it's not even like a grip at all. It's not a grip, it's placing your hands on the bar in a specific position. I don't know, he maybe shouldn't call it a grip if your not actually gripping the bar.

http://www.allthingsgym.com/mark-rip...-bar-position/

7. You're on the right track to good advise. Mark Rippetoe is one of the greatest strength coaches in the world and his book is something I feel should be on the shelf of every weightlifters room. He teaches great form on how to squat, deadlift, power clean, bench press, barbell rows properly.

The routine itself is effective because it it utilizes the basic compound movements that are most efficient at adding mass and uses the principles of progressive resistance to prevent homeostasis and assure proper muscular development - both in hypertrophy and strength.

Give the program a go and make sure to try to read the book and even watch the demonstration videos Mark has posted to Youtube. I guarantee you add significant mass and strength gains over the next several weeks if you do it right.
    Former Marine, UT-BSN, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, CSCS

8. Quote Originally Posted by kingk0ng View Post
    You're on the right track to good advise. Mark Rippetoe is one of the greatest strength coaches in the world and his book is something I feel should be on the shelf of every weightlifters room. He teaches great form on how to squat, deadlift, power clean, bench press, barbell rows properly.

The routine itself is effective because it it utilizes the basic compound movements that are most efficient at adding mass and uses the principles of progressive resistance to prevent homeostasis and assure proper muscular development - both in hypertrophy and strength.

Give the program a go and make sure to try to read the book and even watch the demonstration videos Mark has posted to Youtube. I guarantee you add significant mass and strength gains over the next several weeks if you do it right.
    I'm following his examples to improve my form. As far as the "Starting Strength routine", I'd rather not do that and just continue to follow the program that I already do. Olympic lifts such as the power clean aren't really meant for hypertrophy. I'm sure they are great for balance and coordination, or if you plan on entering and Olympic weightlifting competition though.

9. Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    I'm following his examples to improve my form. As far as the "Starting Strength routine", I'd rather not do that and just continue to follow the program that I already do. Olympic lifts such as the power clean aren't really meant for hypertrophy. I'm sure they are great for balance and coordination, or if you plan on entering and Olympic weightlifting competition though.
    Olympic lifts such as power cleans are great for hypertrophy. I for one have witnessed significant back hypertrophy through adding cleans.

10. Just noticed Marks last name is misspelled in the title of this thread. Funny.

11. Had to make a new post. Bad number on my post count.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Starting Strength
    By GymRat7197 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-16-2009, 06:24 PM
  2. Has anyone heard of the Mark Rippletoe Starting Strength?
    By aidancolin in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-24-2009, 09:14 AM
  3. Slannos Starting Strength log
    By slanno in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-09-2009, 05:06 PM
  4. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 03-29-2008, 05:49 PM