have a problem.

james1

james1

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I need some advice from someone in the power lifting realm. Today we did chained bench, and I felt great. After chains I did a burnout set of 205 for 8 which is pathetic. After chest I went on to close grip bench for triceps, this is when I realized I have a terribly weak chest. I close griped (hands 6-7 inches apart) the same weight that I benched. So me being able to close grip roughly the same weight that I can bench is telling me my triceps are strong and my chest is severely lacking. My powerlifting coach was looking at me like I had 3 heads, and didn't even know what to say. Any advice is appreciated

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
I need some advice from someone in the power lifting realm. Today we did chained bench, and I felt great. After chains I did a burnout set of 205 for 8 which is pathetic. After chest I went on to close grip bench for triceps, this is when I realized I have a terribly weak chest. I close griped (hands 6-7 inches apart) the same weight that I benched. So me being able to close grip roughly the same weight that I can bench is telling me my triceps are strong and my chest is severely lacking. My powerlifting coach was looking at me like I had 3 heads, and didn't even know what to say. Any advice is appreciated
205 for 8 on a burnout is not pathetic. How are your shoulders. Cant have a good bench without good shoulders. Some peoples bodys are not built for heavy bench, like myself. Bench isnt the true measure of your strength overall anyway, i believe that is reserved for squat and deadlift. just my opinion.

bubbachew

Awards
  • Established
205 for 8 on a burnout is not pathetic. How are your shoulders. Cant have a good bench without good shoulders. Some peoples bodys are not built for heavy bench, like myself. Bench isnt the true measure of your strength overall anyway, i believe that is reserved for squat and deadlift. just my opinion.
Good post. totally agree.

When bench pressing, one uses so many muscle other than pecs. Triceps, delts, and lats are all hit when bench pressing.

When I want to increase my bench press weight, I focus on other exercises, such as floor presses, board presses, weighted dips, etc...Don't just rely on your bench press to get that number up...

That's just what I found that works for me...

jrdd13

Awards
I had a very similar problem and my college strength and condition coach suggested doing DB tri sets where you start with shoulder press, then tri extensions, and end with db bench in order to tire out your other muscles and force you to concentrate on ur chest. He said the chest is a generally lazy muscle and you need to focus on actually fully engaging it to see improvement

james1

james1

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I think my shoulders are strong for my size, for Db shoulder press i do 45x8 50'sx8 55x8 then 60's for 8. My squat and deadlift are excellent, my hang cleans are great, everything is strong as hell, then my bench just makes me look like a girl. I don't think its my tricep or shoulders, I think I just have a weak chest.

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
I think my shoulders are strong for my size, for Db shoulder press i do 45x8 50'sx8 55x8 then 60's for 8. My squat and deadlift are excellent, my hang cleans are great, everything is strong as hell, then my bench just makes me look like a girl. I don't think its my tricep or shoulders, I think I just have a weak chest.
Where your pectoral attaches to your shoulder is linked to your bench. I have exact same problem. no worrys tho. I knew a guy who had surgery and they reattached his pec in a slightly different place to his delt and when he healed, his bench had gone up 40 lbs.

Pleonastic

Pleonastic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It could be that your regular bench grip is actually a little wide. Even if you place them around the same place most other people do. Your body could be different and your ideal bench grip is actually closer than most peoples.

So try moving your hands justa little wider than your close grip bench, as your regualr bench grip.

I recently moved my hands in and I am stronger there.