My cut routine - Input? - AnabolicMinds.com

My cut routine - Input?

1. JDK5386

My cut routine - Input?

I started a muscle mass variation on this workout about three months ago and have seen considerable gains in both bulk and strength, particularly in my lower body. I'm very endomorphic and am blessed with hypothyroidism. I was expecting some fat loss to occur because I went from sedentary to 2-3 hours of cardio per week, but I just haven't seen very much of it.

90 Day Results
    Weight has gone from 324 to 317 (unacceptable)
    Bench max has gone from 245 to 295 (acceptable)
    Squats max has gone from 365 to 495 (excellent)
    Upper body mass gains have been very good, some additional overall development desired
    Lower body mass gains have been excellent, don't need more mass other than perhaps some additional glute development.

Primary consideration at this point is dropping about 40-45 pounds of fat while maintaining most of the gains I've made over the past 3 months. Here's the routine I'm considering switching to, any input?

Monday:
    Bench 4x6-8 superset with Pulldowns 4x8-10, last sets staggered
    Incline Bench 3x8-10 superset with Cable Rows 3x8-10, last sets staggered
    Declines 3x8 with Shrugs 3x12
    Military 3x8 with Crunches 3x25
    Curls 3x8 with Pressdowns 3x8
    30 Minutes cardio

Tuesday
    Squats 4x6-8
    Leg Curls 3x8-12 superset with Leg Extensions 3x8-12 and Calf Raised 3x15
    Leg Press 3x8-12
    30 minutes Cardio

Wednesday
    60 minutes cardio

Thursday
    30 Minutes cardio

Friday
    Squats 4x6-8
    Leg Curls 3x8-12 superset with Leg Extensions 3x8-12 and Calf Raises 3x15
    Back Extensions 3x12
    30 minutes Cardio

Saturday
    60 Minutes cardio

Sunday
    Rest

Nutrition
    Dropping caloric consumption from approximately 3k to approximately 2250, substituting one protein shake for breakfast and packing lunch instead of buying.

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  260 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by JDK5386 View Post
    I started a muscle mass variation on this workout about three months ago and have seen considerable gains in both bulk and strength, particularly in my lower body. I'm very endomorphic and am blessed with hypothyroidism. I was expecting some fat loss to occur because I went from sedentary to 2-3 hours of cardio per week, but I just haven't seen very much of it.

90 Day Results
    Weight has gone from 324 to 317 (unacceptable)
    Bench max has gone from 245 to 295 (acceptable)
    Squats max has gone from 365 to 495 (excellent)
    Upper body mass gains have been very good, some additional overall development desired
    Lower body mass gains have been excellent, don't need more mass other than perhaps some additional glute development.

Primary consideration at this point is dropping about 40-45 pounds of fat while maintaining most of the gains I've made over the past 3 months. Here's the routine I'm considering switching to, any input?

Monday:
    30 Minutes cardio

Tuesday
    Squats 4x6-8
    Leg Curls 3x8-12 superset with Leg Extensions 3x8-12 and Calf Raised 3x15
    Leg Press 3x8-12
    30 minutes Cardio

Wednesday
    60 minutes cardio

Thursday
    30 Minutes cardio

Friday
    Squats 4x6-8
    Leg Curls 3x8-12 superset with Leg Extensions 3x8-12 and Calf Raises 3x15
    Back Extensions 3x12
    30 minutes Cardio

Saturday
    60 Minutes cardio

Sunday
    Rest

Nutrition
    Dropping caloric consumption from approximately 3k to approximately 2250, substituting one protein shake for breakfast and packing lunch instead of buying.
    Overall it looks alright. I wouldn't go with supersets indefinately, 3-4 weeks max. Then I would go for the heaviest weight possible while staying in the 14-16 rep range.

Also why are you doing legs by themselves? It seems like you are overloading your upper body day and underloading your lower body day.

I would also go with 20 rep squats for legs, they are brutal and effective. Why stay in the low reps when your goal isn't more power for now?

I would also incorporate deadlifts, standing shoulder presses/dumbell presses,and bent over rows into your program.

I would also get away from the machines for your triceps and go with free weight compound movements. This will help to get that bench up into the stratosphere.
  3. JDK5386

Quote Originally Posted by Dadof2 View Post
    Overall it looks alright. I wouldn't go with supersets indefinately, 3-4 weeks max. Then I would go for the heaviest weight possible while staying in the 14-16 rep range.

I would also go with 20 rep squats for legs, they are brutal and effective. Why stay in the low reps when your goal isn't more power for now?

I would also incorporate deadlifts, standing shoulder presses/dumbell presses,and bent over rows into your program.

I would also get away from the machines for your triceps and go with free weight compound movements. This will help to get that bench up into the stratosphere.
    Excellent advice. My bench has been lagging relative to my other lifts, mostly because of the sticking point at about 3/4ths of way up which is triceps; I've tried doubling up on tricep work but I think I was overtraining most of my upper body anyways.

Also why are you doing legs by themselves? It seems like you are overloading your upper body day and underloading your lower body day.
    My legs have responded very favorably to their training to date. I'm fine with few or no mass gains until my upper body catches up, and I needed to free up time/energy for additional cardio on lower body days as my weight is, at this point, the dominant concern. This make sense or seem silly?
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.

It seems as if your almost running the 20 rep squat routine as it is, by doing all that upper body so much. I agree, leg day underloadfed in comparision. I would add the 20 rep squats on the days you bench, eliminate some of the curls, and pulldowns, and pushdowns, add in chins and dips, and do cardio on the day you would have done legs. Before you do any of that, I would post a diet too. just my opinion.

Similar Forum Threads

1. First post. Looking for input on 5x5 routine.
    By TateFTW in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-30-2010, 10:39 PM
  2. My full-body routine, based on my stats, need some input guys
    By StellaArtois in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-28-2009, 12:09 PM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-25-2008, 06:15 AM
  4. Need some help/input on my routine
    By Gutterpump in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 3