Proper HIIT training

cedrone50

Awards
im 5'9 220 and im trying to cut my weight to 180-200 but keep my muscle and ive heard HIIT training is a great way to lose the fat but keep the muscle. I've been doing a 15 minute training before lifting. I do 2 minutes of sprinting then a minute break of walking, then continue till i get to 15 minutes. I just wanted to know if this is the right time and the proper way to do it. Help is greately appreciated.

jtp217

jtp217

Awards
Wow, you can sprint for 2 minutes straight?

I'd use the HIIT on your off days from the gym and only if your diet is right. Tread HIIT like a weight training session nutritionally speaking.

A good guideline to follow is a 3:1 ratio of rest to "sprinting". I usually do mine on a exercise bike and will go all out for 15 seconds then pedal at a slower pace for 45 seconds to let my heart rate get closer to normal.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you're sprinting for 2 minutes, it isn't high enough intensity. 3:1 Rest : Recovery is a bit conservative, he can probably work his way to 2:1, or even 1:1 eventually. I like about 10 sets of 20-25s on, and 35-40s off/recovering. I do it on the elliptical, and crank the resistance while sprinting. Work your way into it, don't got 1:1 right away :)

MrBigPR

MrBigPR

NutraPlanet Rep
Awards
  • Established
If you google HIIT training, there is a great 8 week program out there. Id post everything, but i dont have access to the site right now and am lazy to google myself.

It worked great for me. I only lost about 5 lbs, but my bf % went down significantly to the point i lost my love handles and abs were showing.

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
If you're sprinting for 2 minutes, it isn't high enough intensity. 3:1 Rest : Recovery is a bit conservative, he can probably work his way to 2:1, or even 1:1 eventually. I like about 10 sets of 20-25s on, and 35-40s off/recovering. I do it on the elliptical, and crank the resistance while sprinting. Work your way into it, don't got 1:1 right away :)

Works great like he said i do 20-30 secs on usually about 1min off still getting there, but my elliptical goes up to 14 cross 14 resitance i usually do 14 and 13 or 13 and i last 15 min then im dead i tell you walking up my stairs is impossible.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Works great like he said i do 20-30 secs on usually about 1min off still getting there, but my elliptical goes up to 14 cross 14 resitance i usually do 14 and 13 or 13 and i last 15 min then im dead i tell you walking up my stairs is impossible.
Heh that's how it should be :) I push myself so hard, when my friends see me doing sprints they always tell me I look like I'm in pain. Sometimes I push too hard and have to stop at 8 or so when I get dizzy/severe cramping, but usually I can make 10-12. Interestingly, I find that preWO supps lead to a significant improvement in HIIT sessions; they make the work intervals go faster and get me to push myself harder. I have done HIIT for probably 20 months now, and it's a consistent pattern.

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
ya i cant even imagine what i look like doing it lol its such a good workout i dont care what they think. im hoping to get it up to 14 soon and have shorter reps but have baseball coming up.

cedrone50

Awards
ok thanks guys so ur saying i shoud only do it on my cardio days (tuesday, thursday) and i like the treadmill better cuz i feel i get abetter sweat so i was wondering if i should switch to elliptical then? if u can get back to me that would be great.

thanks

dmillz224

dmillz224

Awards
  • Established
if weight loss is your goal then make cardio a priority I.E more than 2 times a week I say at least 3 and you can do it on any kinda cardio machine I used to say the same thing about the elliptical until I hurt my knee and could not run for a while so I started doing HIIT on the elliptical and found that if you increase the resistance enough it actually works my legs harder and its low impact just my 0.02

AllMaxBrian

Awards
ok thanks guys so ur saying i shoud only do it on my cardio days (tuesday, thursday) and i like the treadmill better cuz i feel i get abetter sweat so i was wondering if i should switch to elliptical then? if u can get back to me that would be great.

thanks
I do a short cardio warm-down on lifting days in addition to what I do on cardio days. I'd use whatever equipment you feel most comfortable on.

indianballer

indianballer

Awards
  • Established
I'm working into a HITT myself for cardio. I like to just run on the track at the high school. For the past 3 weeks I've been doing: jog 800, walk 400, run 400, walk 400, run 400, walk 400. I've got 3 more weeks natural before I start my next cycle, and I think I'm going to work more with 100/200 workouts with a 800 jog at the end for cardio (3 days a week). Great results so far, hoping for better these 3 weeks, then bulking again.