The Headphone Rule

littlejeni

littlejeni

Awards
This seemed like the best place to post this, so I apologize if there is a better forum.

Some people just need to hear this because it has always bothered me when I work out.

Are you sick of people interrupting your workout by pulling you into a conversation vortex when you are trying to limit your rest time between sets. You end up talking for 5 mins when you only wanted to rest for 1 min in between sets. Some people don't get gym etiquette...that's where this comes into play...

The Headphone Rule:

If you are wearing an IPOD/MP3 player with headphones at the gym and someone needs to talk to you, this is the hint of how much time they have to engage you.

If you turn the volume down, but leave your headphones in...they have about 5-10 secs to say something.

If you take out one earphone...they now have about 1 min, but need to make it quick.

If you take out both earphones...they now have all the time that they need to talk.

Thank you for reading this, and if you ever see me in the gym and I have both earphones in...better make it quick!

kjkriston

kjkriston

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
hahaha...could not have put it better my self....all you TALKERS....pay attention....text me later if it THAT important!

Minus83

Minus83

Awards
eh... i do the one earphone removal and i dont want to give them a minute, id say under 30 seconds, if i want to have a conversation id pull both ear buds out, but if i wanted to have a conversation ill talk to you before or after im done in the gym.

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
nah i don't know how effective that'd be....
Infact, I find it more effective when i unplug and talk to them because that lets me re-plug when i want to end the conversation.

Most ppl are generally respectful though. They only talk if it's necessary. "are you using that weight","how many sets left", "can u spot me"... and even if it's a friend, we talk after the session is over.

There's only 1 or 2 dipsh*ts i know who carry on talking like an old woman in a tea party. I think a good beating is what they need.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
when im in the "mode", i keep eye contact to a bare minimum...........that way i dont have to choose an option for them.

ipod and squats = leave me alone!

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm moody I guess. Sometimes I don't mind having a conversation and sometimes I want to be left alone. This is the only place where I'm surrounded by ppl in my same hobby and I'm with long time gym rats sometimes we'll catch up on latest supp talk or workout routine etc

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
I'm moody I guess. Sometimes I don't mind having a conversation and sometimes I want to be left alone. This is the only place where I'm surrounded by ppl in my same hobby and I'm with long time gym rats sometimes we'll catch up on latest supp talk or workout routine etc

yeah, same here.

I just use eye contact if i dont mind talking that day.

My method seems to work well for me.

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
My favorite is this one chinese kid at school that always trys to start a conversation with as soon as I jump on a machine/ pick up weights. I have ear phones in my ear so I can barely hear him as it is, even when I'm not otherwise engaged its still really hard to understand his english. I dont bust his balls too bad, foreign cultures have different etiquette...I guess.

But its like hes got me cornered, and he knows he'll force me to talk to him. On bench the other day he comes over sticks his face right over mine so that he know's i can see him, and starts yammering away about something. so I have to rack my weight, sit up, take my ear phones out and try not to freak out.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I never take my headphones out, and i NEVER make eye contact with anyone..

I have been at the same gym for YEARS, go at the exact same time, and never had a conversation with ANYONE, and only been asked to spot someone once, by some brazen son of a bitch who tapped me on the shoulder..lol

AllMaxBrian

Awards
I love it! At my school gym, it often seems people are there more for socialization than exercise. I always have my iPod with me and I'll do the one headphone out thing if I want to talk, but mostly I just want to get in, smash some weights, and get out.

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
ya'll are nicer than me.

i keep a hat on pulled low over my eyes, my music up loud.
I've been working out at a bally's for three years and i've only been talked to once and that was for spot help.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I never take my headphones out, and i NEVER make eye contact with anyone..

I have been at the same gym for YEARS, go at the exact same time, and never had a conversation with ANYONE, and only been asked to spot someone once, by some brazen son of a bitch who tapped me on the shoulder..lol
That's me, no eye contact and I NEVER smile.

nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
Everybody be nice!!!

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't think anyone's being mean, just trying to stay aggressive during their one hour of the day that we devote to ourselves. I get it.
Exactly

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
GreenMachineX General Chat 11
Training Forum 1
General Chat 4
Sarveshspace Training Forum 9
glosss General Chat 14