Weighted dips

  1. Registered User
    itzgambino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    214
    Answers
    0

    Weighted dips


    Hey everybody, I recently picked up a dipping belt and now weighted dips and pull-ups have become my new favorite thing to do, I wanna implement them every chance I get. My current routine is chest, back, shoulders, arms, legs. I have started doing the weight dips on chest and arms day. My question is it beneficial to do the dips on Chest, and Arms day, or just once a week is sufficient?

  2. Registered User
    lciaccio's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    345
    Answers
    0


    Since you have your workout split, you could do both. Angling your chest will focus more on your chest and less on your tri's. Keeping your body straight will primarily focus your tri's.
  3. Registered User
    bubbachew's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    30
    Posts
    530
    Answers
    0


    I hate when I see people making a day just for an arm workout. Those muscle's are so small, why not just throw them in with a larger body part, for example, hit tri's on chest day, so, therefore, you wouldn't have to worry about where to throw the weighted dips in at. Just my 02 cents
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    suncloud's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    37
    Posts
    6,353
    Answers
    0


    depends. i know if i switched over from chest/tri's and back/bi's to a bi/tri day, all my arm lifts would go up. maybe its an ego thing, but the more weight i do, the more efficient i feel my workout is. even if ultimately its more efficient timewise to place chest/tri's together.
  5. Registered User
    bubbachew's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    30
    Posts
    530
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by suncloud View Post
    depends. i know if i switched over from chest/tri's and back/bi's to a bi/tri day, all my arm lifts would go up. maybe its an ego thing, but the more weight i do, the more efficient i feel my workout is. even if ultimately its more efficient timewise to place chest/tri's together.
    Yes, that's true. There are so many workout's and routine's, it's ridiculous. I was just giving him a suggestion, and gave my opinion on an "arm day".
  6. Registered User
    suncloud's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    37
    Posts
    6,353
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by bubbachew View Post
    Yes, that's true. There are so many workout's and routine's, it's ridiculous. I was just giving him a suggestion, and gave my opinion on an "arm day".
    i hear you. it was a real kick in the teeth to switch over to chest/tri day and watch all my tricep lifts drop by 10-20 lbs. i can't quite decide which i like more.
  7. Registered User
    bubbachew's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    30
    Posts
    530
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by suncloud View Post
    i hear you. it was a real kick in the teeth to switch over to chest/tri day and watch all my tricep lifts drop by 10-20 lbs. i can't quite decide which i like more.
    Switch over to DC, and ALL your lifts will go up. lol I just went back to it today, after about a 2 month lay off, and DAMN did I miss it.

    Sorry for going off topic, itzgambino
  8. Registered User
    itzgambino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    214
    Answers
    0


    No worries for the off topic, the more information I get the better! I used to do tri's with chest before switching to a sole arm day, but I felt that I burnt out after chest and did not get an effect tricep routine in.
  9. Registered User
    bubbachew's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    30
    Posts
    530
    Answers
    0


    I've heard of people doing triceps before chest on days when done together, so the triceps get fatigued before doing chest exercises, so when bench presses or dumbbell presses are done, it focuses on chest more...

    I've just heard of that, I've never done it, personally, though.
  10. Registered User
    Stangtuner's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Age
    30
    Posts
    112
    Answers
    0


    I like doing tri/back one day, then Bi/chest another day.

    Tris/chest burns out my tris and I think the chest workout suffers because of it.
  11. Registered User
    Pleonastic's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    212
    Answers
    0


    I used to devote one whole day to bis and another to tris. I still do form time to time but its rare.

    Anyways you can deff do dips twice a week just do em once focusing on tris and the other time on chest. Also I like to do ones where Im going really fast with little or no weight and other sets just regular slow reps.
  12. Registered User
    FFChris's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Age
    46
    Posts
    22
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Stangtuner View Post
    I like doing tri/back one day, then Bi/chest another day.

    Tris/chest burns out my tris and I think the chest workout suffers because of it.
    I agree I do the same exact training.. Worked wonders for me..
  13. Registered User
    WarcraftJJS's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,202
    Answers
    0


    I mite be wrong but i do dips every time i work out.
    Arnold Classic: 2009 - 2014
    Comments by this person are their own personal opinion and should be taken as that. Unless quoted from a different source.
  14. Registered User
    littlejeni's Avatar
    Stats
    5'4"  135 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Age
    31
    Posts
    156
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by WarcraftJJS View Post
    I mite be wrong but i do dips every time i work out.
    I don't think that you can get enough of exercises like dips (pull-ups, push-ups etc.) I usually will do Chest (fatigue or failure on all exercises), Tris (sometimes supersets with chest), and then wear myself out on dips and pushups to finish it off.

    Take this with a grain of salt because I work on increasing strength, but not mass.
  15. Registered User
    biggfly's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  228 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Age
    42
    Posts
    327
    Answers
    0


    couldnt agree more...arms will get worked with any compound exercises. Pulling will work the bi's, pushing the tri's...no way I would dedicate w hole day workout for just arms. I will throw in SOME iso exercises for arms on my 2 leg days, but never would i dedicate an entire workout to arms alone. Mine get blasted with chins, wght. dips, pullups, BB rows, pulldowns, etc.
  16. Registered User
    bubbachew's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    30
    Posts
    530
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by biggfly View Post
    couldnt agree more...arms will get worked with any compound exercises. Pulling will work the bi's, pushing the tri's...no way I would dedicate w hole day workout for just arms. I will throw in SOME iso exercises for arms on my 2 leg days, but never would i dedicate an entire workout to arms alone. Mine get blasted with chins, wght. dips, pullups, BB rows, pulldowns, etc.
    Good reply!
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Weighted push-ups
    By Pleonastic in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 03-27-2009, 11:57 AM
  2. Weighted Vest
    By Highlanda01602 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 06-18-2008, 09:10 PM
  3. Weighted Vests
    By pmiller383 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-06-2008, 10:49 PM
  4. Weighted Vests???
    By iDShaDoW in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-10-2006, 06:11 AM
  5. Maxing Out On Weighted Dips
    By fbxdan in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 02-03-2006, 07:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in