Weighted dips

itzgambino

Awards
Hey everybody, I recently picked up a dipping belt and now weighted dips and pull-ups have become my new favorite thing to do, I wanna implement them every chance I get. My current routine is chest, back, shoulders, arms, legs. I have started doing the weight dips on chest and arms day. My question is it beneficial to do the dips on Chest, and Arms day, or just once a week is sufficient?

lciaccio

lciaccio

Awards
  • Established
Since you have your workout split, you could do both. Angling your chest will focus more on your chest and less on your tri's. Keeping your body straight will primarily focus your tri's.

bubbachew

Awards
  • Established
I hate when I see people making a day just for an arm workout. Those muscle's are so small, why not just throw them in with a larger body part, for example, hit tri's on chest day, so, therefore, you wouldn't have to worry about where to throw the weighted dips in at. Just my 02 cents

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
depends. i know if i switched over from chest/tri's and back/bi's to a bi/tri day, all my arm lifts would go up. maybe its an ego thing, but the more weight i do, the more efficient i feel my workout is. even if ultimately its more efficient timewise to place chest/tri's together.

bubbachew

Awards
  • Established
depends. i know if i switched over from chest/tri's and back/bi's to a bi/tri day, all my arm lifts would go up. maybe its an ego thing, but the more weight i do, the more efficient i feel my workout is. even if ultimately its more efficient timewise to place chest/tri's together.
Yes, that's true. There are so many workout's and routine's, it's ridiculous. I was just giving him a suggestion, and gave my opinion on an "arm day".

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
Yes, that's true. There are so many workout's and routine's, it's ridiculous. I was just giving him a suggestion, and gave my opinion on an "arm day".
i hear you. it was a real kick in the teeth to switch over to chest/tri day and watch all my tricep lifts drop by 10-20 lbs. i can't quite decide which i like more.

bubbachew

Awards
  • Established
i hear you. it was a real kick in the teeth to switch over to chest/tri day and watch all my tricep lifts drop by 10-20 lbs. i can't quite decide which i like more.
Switch over to DC, and ALL your lifts will go up. ;) lol I just went back to it today, after about a 2 month lay off, and DAMN did I miss it.

Sorry for going off topic, itzgambino

itzgambino

Awards
No worries for the off topic, the more information I get the better! I used to do tri's with chest before switching to a sole arm day, but I felt that I burnt out after chest and did not get an effect tricep routine in.

bubbachew

Awards
  • Established
I've heard of people doing triceps before chest on days when done together, so the triceps get fatigued before doing chest exercises, so when bench presses or dumbbell presses are done, it focuses on chest more...

I've just heard of that, I've never done it, personally, though.

Stangtuner

Stangtuner

Awards
I like doing tri/back one day, then Bi/chest another day.

Tris/chest burns out my tris and I think the chest workout suffers because of it.

Pleonastic

Pleonastic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I used to devote one whole day to bis and another to tris. I still do form time to time but its rare.

Anyways you can deff do dips twice a week just do em once focusing on tris and the other time on chest. Also I like to do ones where Im going really fast with little or no weight and other sets just regular slow reps.

FFChris

FFChris

Awards
I like doing tri/back one day, then Bi/chest another day.

Tris/chest burns out my tris and I think the chest workout suffers because of it.
I agree I do the same exact training.. Worked wonders for me..

WarcraftJJS

WarcraftJJS

Awards
  • Established
I mite be wrong but i do dips every time i work out.

littlejeni

littlejeni

Awards
I mite be wrong but i do dips every time i work out.
I don't think that you can get enough of exercises like dips (pull-ups, push-ups etc.) I usually will do Chest (fatigue or failure on all exercises), Tris (sometimes supersets with chest), and then wear myself out on dips and pushups to finish it off.

Take this with a grain of salt because I work on increasing strength, but not mass.

biggfly

biggfly

Awards
  • Established
couldnt agree more...arms will get worked with any compound exercises. Pulling will work the bi's, pushing the tri's...no way I would dedicate w hole day workout for just arms. I will throw in SOME iso exercises for arms on my 2 leg days, but never would i dedicate an entire workout to arms alone. Mine get blasted with chins, wght. dips, pullups, BB rows, pulldowns, etc.

bubbachew

Awards
  • Established
couldnt agree more...arms will get worked with any compound exercises. Pulling will work the bi's, pushing the tri's...no way I would dedicate w hole day workout for just arms. I will throw in SOME iso exercises for arms on my 2 leg days, but never would i dedicate an entire workout to arms alone. Mine get blasted with chins, wght. dips, pullups, BB rows, pulldowns, etc.
Good reply!