Rotator cuff...?

1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'5"  242 lbs.

Rotator cuff...?

Hey, I had surgery to repair my partially torn posterior labrum back in July. Anyway, I did rehab up until mid August. And then I did do anything again until mid October. And in January I started lifting regularly again because my doc said I could. I've also been doing rotator cuff exercises aswell and I was wondering should i be focusing on only strengthening my rotator cuffs for a long time before I start lifting or is it ok to do both together, aslong as I dont get any pain or anything?

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RavensFan2k3 View Post
    Hey, I had surgery to repair my partially torn posterior labrum back in July. Anyway, I did rehab up until mid August. And then I did do anything again until mid October. And in January I started lifting regularly again because my doc said I could. I've also been doing rotator cuff exercises aswell and I was wondering should i be focusing on only strengthening my rotator cuffs for a long time before I start lifting or is it ok to do both together, aslong as I dont get any pain or anything?

I had a partial tear in my rotator cuff and do all my RC exercises prior to working out. It's fine to do your lifting as well but start out with light weights and work your way back to heavier training. Always use good form and stop any exercise that causes pain.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.

do all rotator cuff workout with 5 to 10 lbs and stretch b4 lifting. then do tons of rear delt work and rotator cuff work after u finish ur workout.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  231 lbs.

I injured my rotators in car accident a few years ago. Personally I was so hyped to get back in the gym I just jumped in where i left off. I experienced a little pain when i did shoulder presses and pec flies but you may be different. My opinion would be to reduce the weight if it gets uncomfortable, eventually you will get back to 100%
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.

Pain usually means damage is being done ( thats what pain receptors are fired by), but some maybe good to rip up that scar tissue. Like was said, do whats comfortable. What are you taking for a joint support supp?
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'5"  242 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SirGalahad View Post
    I had a partial tear in my rotator cuff and do all my RC exercises prior to working out. It's fine to do your lifting as well but start out with light weights and work your way back to heavier training. Always use good form and stop any exercise that causes pain.
    Yeah I started with light weights...I've been lifting light since January and I'm just not starting to get heavy. So rotator cuff exercises before the workout. What rep range should I be in. I've been doing 15 reps.

Quote Originally Posted by brownstown89 View Post
    do all rotator cuff workout with 5 to 10 lbs and stretch b4 lifting. then do tons of rear delt work and rotator cuff work after u finish ur workout.
    So I should not go past 5-10 pounds? How is the rear delt related to the rotator cuff?

Quote Originally Posted by blakkbwoy View Post
    I injured my rotators in car accident a few years ago. Personally I was so hyped to get back in the gym I just jumped in where i left off. I experienced a little pain when i did shoulder presses and pec flies but you may be different. My opinion would be to reduce the weight if it gets uncomfortable, eventually you will get back to 100%
    Eventually I will get to 100%...are you sure?

Quote Originally Posted by briancogs888 View Post
    Pain usually means damage is being done ( thats what pain receptors are fired by), but some maybe good to rip up that scar tissue. Like was said, do whats comfortable. What are you taking for a joint support supp?
    How would I know the difference if its good pain(scare tissue being ripped up) and bad pain(damage being done)? I'm taking Super Cissus RX and Joint V
  7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RavensFan2k3 View Post
    Yeah I started with light weights...I've been lifting light since January and I'm just not starting to get heavy. So rotator cuff exercises before the workout. What rep range should I be in. I've been doing 15 reps.

So I should not go past 5-10 pounds? How is the rear delt related to the rotator cuff?

Eventually I will get to 100%...are you sure?

How would I know the difference if its good pain(scare tissue being ripped up) and bad pain(damage being done)? I'm taking Super Cissus RX and Joint V

Keep your rep range between 15-20. As you get stronger you do want to use heavier weights but not to the point where you're using less than 15 reps. As to getting back to 100%? That is an individual thing and only training and continued good health will determine that. Speaking for myself only I'm back to 100%.

Distinguishing between good and bad pain is not difficult. Good pain (DOMS) will last 2-3 days as it begins to diminish. Bad pain will linger continuously. If you aren't using fish oil add that to your supplements.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  219.0 lbs.

Get ART(active relsease technique) and AIS(active isolated stretch) done on your shoulders. It has done wonders for my shoulder issues. It hurts like hell, especially if you have scar tissue and a practitioner who really knows what they're doing, but it has done so much for me i have nothing but good things to say abou it.

BEAST
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'5"  242 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SirGalahad View Post
    Keep your rep range between 15-20. As you get stronger you do want to use heavier weights but not to the point where you're using less than 15 reps. As to getting back to 100%? That is an individual thing and only training and continued good health will determine that. Speaking for myself only I'm back to 100%.

Distinguishing between good and bad pain is not difficult. Good pain (DOMS) will last 2-3 days as it begins to diminish. Bad pain will linger continuously. If you aren't using fish oil add that to your supplements.
    Yeah, I know if I increase the weight, still keep the reps at 15. I've heard people talking about doing rep ranges from 25-50 reps. I didnt know if they meant total or per set tho...

I dont mean pain like that...I meant pain caused to ripping of scar tissue.

Yes, I'm taking fish oil...how much should I be taking tho?

Quote Originally Posted by Wilderbeast View Post
    Get ART(active relsease technique) and AIS(active isolated stretch) done on your shoulders. It has done wonders for my shoulder issues. It hurts like hell, especially if you have scar tissue and a practitioner who really knows what they're doing, but it has done so much for me i have nothing but good things to say abou it.

BEAST
    Where do I go for that?
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  219.0 lbs.

Raven,

Look for a chiropractor in your area and check with their office to see if they practice ART and AIS. There may also be a massage therapist in your area who specializes in these technques.

BEAST
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.

For the most part, I would say you have to go by whatever you think. If you notice that your shoulder is still bothering you after the soreness in your muscle is gone from the workout, then you might be doing more damage than good. If you can complete the motion without your body saying " stop you are ****ing hurting me", then you are probably good.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  205 lbs.

i had a full labrum tair back in october. has surgery in november. started lifting in feb. im 100% biceps 75%back and 75% triceps. chest and shoulders is a couple months off my doc said. i did tricep bench today and did 3x15 with a 45 plate on each side. just keep it slow. if its sore back off. if theres any pain stop. they should of worked on your scare tissue during rehab, so that shouldnt be a problem. be careful with anything that pulls your arm up and back (you know the movement im talking bout). On everything u do start out with light weight highreps. then once your feel comfortable move in to whatever u want. hope all works out for u man. i know my experience has been a livin hell
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Rotator cuff
    By 0-hero in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-12-2009, 02:10 AM
  2. Help with my rotator cuff
    By tallbikerguy in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-29-2008, 12:40 AM
  3. Rotator cuff
    By jng in forum Exercise Science