Abs/Calves

FRIDAYS
Deadlifts
Clean & Presses
Flat Flyes
Skull Crushers
Hammer Curls

Sorry if this is in the wrong section :sad6:

Well, this is the 5x5 workout that I'm about to begin today. I've never done a 5x5 before, so I'm looking forward to this... it seems pretty intense (for me atleast). How've you guys done with the 5x5? Critism is welcomed.

FlexW99

FlexW99

Awards
  • Established
I've never done a full 5x5 regimen but I have incorporated 5x5 with certain exercises.
5x5 deads with 20 seconds rest with 315lbs is nice and challenged me right to the last rep.

I did more triples and doubles than anything else.

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
5x5 is a great workout i switch between that and 12,10,8 and then last set is till failure i switch them up when i get bored with one or the other but both are great.

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I did a 5X5 program and got great results. My opinion though is that when you reach a plateau, move down to a 3X3 for a few weeks. This should give you great strength gains. Good luck..

rbuecker

rbuecker

Awards
  • Established
nice to see a current 5x5 thread, subbed. im trying to crash course learn this and am considering starting on monday. cant wait to see your journey and the results bro!

hitsquaddd

hitsquaddd

Awards
Thanks for the replies and the kind words.

Well, my first week was nice and my bench went from benching 225 for 5-6 reps to 250 for 5-6 reps. So I'm pretty happy with that.

I've gotten some noticeable definition on my back from doing this routine for some reason, nothing too special though but I've noticed it. The workouts have been intense as **** lol. I'm considering maybe switching up to a hypertrophy specific training program this week. So I'll do this 5x5 for one week and then an HST for another week, and so on and so forth.

I dunno though, does that seem like a good idea to you guys?

tswepsto

Awards
Thanks for the replies and the kind words.

Well, my first week was nice and my bench went from benching 225 for 5-6 reps to 250 for 5-6 reps. So I'm pretty happy with that.

I've gotten some noticeable definition on my back from doing this routine for some reason, nothing too special though but I've noticed it. The workouts have been intense as **** lol. I'm considering maybe switching up to a hypertrophy specific training program this week. So I'll do this 5x5 for one week and then an HST for another week, and so on and so forth.

I dunno though, does that seem like a good idea to you guys?
It's not a good idea. You'll get plenty of hypertrophy out of the 5x5 if you learn how to use it. I'm speaking from 20 years of experience and I've made that same mistake before. Do yourself a favor and stick to 1 program and be consistent. Go buy the book "Starting Strength" - even though you aren't starting, I purchased it after my first serious year of training. Read it, understand it, and go buy a book about dieting and stick to just one diet. Being consistent is the key. After you've done that for 2 years straight, then go pick up the book "Practical Programming for Strength Training" and stick to those principals for the rest of your life. 5 x 5 is a good method to learn because it gets you training correctly. Later on in life after running several cycles of the 5 x 5 intermediate programs, you'll learn how to design your own programs. Good luck!!

Wilderbeast

Wilderbeast

Awards
  • Established
Personally I like a basic 3-4 exercises per bodypart, 3-4 sets per exercise, 6-15 reps per set. I split each bodypart into a once per week schedule. I also add once a week a German Volume Training day, where for one bodypart I'll do 10 sets of 10 with the same weight beginning each set every third minute AND/OR a DC style workout where I'll do static holds/stretches, and the rest pause type lifts. I typically will rotate the GVT or DC training to a new bodypart each week. I think this really keeps the body guessing and will help you keep muscle hypertrophy and strength up.

BEAST

Wilderbeast

Wilderbeast

Awards
  • Established
Sorry to get too far off topic, but my whole point is that one particular training style, even with progressive resistance increases is inferior to a once in a while routine shake-up while continuing to progressively increase resistance as well.

BEAST

hitsquaddd

hitsquaddd

Awards
Again, I'd like to thank all of you for the input.

As of this week, I've just been doing the 5x5 for lifts like deadlifts, squats, incline/flat bench, arnold presses, and weighted chins. the smaller muscle groups are worked with 3-4 sets of 8-12.

I just wanted to incorporate both HST and 5x5 aspects into my workout, hopefully this'll work. Don't get me wrong though, along with changing up which body part I work on which days, and increased weights and strict negatives - I've also incorporated drop sets for my lagging chest and arms. And from the past 2 weeks, I've gained about 4 pounds following a strict diet. This is my 4th year lifting and I guess the key to it was just consistensy and mainly my diet.

But yeah, thanks for all the advise, I'll be sure to come back to this when it comes time to change it all up again.

Thanks a bunch.

tswepsto

Awards
Sorry to get too far off topic, but my whole point is that one particular training style, even with progressive resistance increases is inferior to a once in a while routine shake-up while continuing to progressively increase resistance as well.

BEAST
Mr. Beast,

Please pick up "Starting Strength" and "Practical Programming for Strength Training". I know you're into training, so you'll love these. These points are disgussed within the text, and yes, you're correct. These are just minor parts that do not pertain to people just getting a start with getting a good hold on training. There is no golden way of training, of course, but reading and being knowledgable about being massive is the key. When I started the 5 x 5 I put 100 lbs. on my squat, bench, and deadlift in 12 weeks and gained 40 pounds. That is progress. I stuck to the basics and didn't jump around. Go read some more from Madcow, read some from strength online, and go order some books and you'll start to get the answers you're looking for.